• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VR Discussion Thread
Here's a sneak peak from the upcoming Part 2 evaluation.

Here's my camera setup:
[Image: cam-inside-HMD-1.jpg]

Here's a shot through the HMD lens of Alice - clear enough I think:
[Image: Alice-thru-the-lens.jpg]

Here's a screen capture of Obduction - of course, it's better with the VR game capture tool than taking it through the lens:
[Image: obduction-SS.jpg]
Very nice! What would be really cool is if you could somehow capture a video that people could then watch using "cardboard" headsets on their phones. I wonder if there is a way to do that.
(06-09-2017, 02:51 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Very nice!  What would be really cool is if you could somehow capture a video that people could then watch using "cardboard" headsets on their phones.  I wonder if there is a way to do that.

Only with a stereo camera. Remember, I am only capturing from the left lens.

The purpose of the capture is to show the overlay performance numbers as the benchmark runs. You can see if the card is delivering the framerates required for a smooth experience - or not.
:emo:
http://www.roadtovr.com/report-vr-nielse...g-the-way/
Quote: . . . it’s very difficult to gauge just how well VR is doing as a technology outside of enthusiast communities. We know that Samsung has confirmed more than 5 million Gear VR units are now in the wild for example, and of course the headlines of Sony surprising themselves with PlayStation VR’s early sales figures – approaching 1 Million going in to 2017. ...

Nielsen’s ‘U.S Games 360 2017‘ report states that from over 2000 people (50% male/female split) interviewed, 27% of people aged between 25-34 said that they intended to buy a VR headset, with 17% of 18-24 year olds saying the same. Of that group, 69% were men, 31% were women.
[Image: nielsen-2017-vr-purchase-intent-byformat.jpg]
In terms of which VR platform those people were looking to invest in, 10% of people who identified themselves as gamers (over the age of 13) stated that they were looking to buy a PlayStation VR, with 9% looking to opt for Samsung’s Gear VR. The Oculus Rift follows close behind with 8% with the HTC Vive trailing surprisingly far behind at 5%. Groups identified by Nielsen as ‘General Population’ responded similarly, although overall intent was lower and Samsung’s Gear VR topped the poll at 7%.
[Image: nielsen-2017-general-population-gamers-v...format.jpg]
And in terms of gauging overall awareness of virtual reality platforms, Nielsen found that 34% of the general population over 13 years knew about the Gear VR, with the PlayStation VR recognised by 26% and the Oculus Rift 25%. Again, somewhat surprisingly, the HTC Vive trails at 10% recognition among those polled. . . .

compared with other gaming technology, VR adoption still ranks quite low but according to Nielsen, overall awareness of VR is up from 28% of the general US population in 2016 to 51%, that’s an impressive bump in stats.

Overall then, it’s no surprise that something like the Gear VR, which has been marketed intensively by Samsung alongside its best selling Galaxy smartphones and is sold at a low relative price (assuming you’re already buying a phone of course) tops the charts. PSVR’s high ranking here is expected too, given the market penetration of the PlayStation 4 and its appeal as a mass market option.
It's interesting to see the Rift with more appeal than the Vive. I always thought the Vive was more popular. You could well be onto something with VR.
(06-11-2017, 10:19 PM)SickBeast Wrote: It's interesting to see the Rift with more appeal than the Vive.  I always thought the Vive was more popular.  You could well be onto something with VR.

The Rift was in development a long time and I think being associated with Facebook has given it name recognition. Vive is HTC/Valve/Steam, and Gabe has basically said it doesn't really matter to him if it succeeds or not.

Personally, I much prefer the Rift. It's lighter, fits better for me, doesn't get as hot, and the controllers are excellent. The Vive's controllers suck in comparison.
- However, the Vive offers standing "room scale" while the Rift tends to be more "forward facing" and it offers seated as a real option.

I'm pretty sure the next generation of VR will be a lot better. I think we can look forward to new HMDs from Oculus and Vive next year.
I will definitely be tempted by a wireless headset if they make one.
Would you be tempted by AAA VR games?
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/06/b...-and-doom/
Quote:The presentation started with a look at gameplay for Bethesda's first two virtual reality titles. Doom VFR welcomed players to the "UAC," where it looked like they could build monsters with a creation kit before firing on them with a variety of first-person weaponry. A quick sidestep motion was shown off, as well as the now-familiar teleportation-based VR movement system.

Fallout 4 VR was described as "a full-length open-world game with near limitless content playable entirely in VR." The scenery and in-game elements looked pulled directly from the non-VR version of the game, complete with a Pip-Boy computer you can bring up on your virtual wrist and massive explosions from grenade launchers.
More traction
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2017/06/spider-...xperience/
Quote:Sony Pictures has now confirmed that it’s going to release a Spider-Man: Homecoming virtual reality experience as well.

This new virtual reality experience from Sony Pictures is based on the Spider-Man: Homecoming movie that’s due to be released worldwide on July 7th. The VR experience will enable viewers to do the iconic suit and take to the street as the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. They will also be able to battle with the Vulture in glorious VR.
A reveal trailer for the virtual reality experience has been released and it features Tom Holland, who is playing Peter Parker in the latest reboot of this long-running franchise. Sony Pictures is going to release the Spider-Man: Homecoming virtual reality experience on June 30th. It will be available as a free download for the PlayStation VR, HTC Vive, and Oculus Rift.

This isn’t the only VR experience that Sony Pictures has been working on. It was recently confirmed that a virtual reality experience based on the hit TV series Breaking Bad is in the pipeline as well.
New technology
http://gfxspeak.com/2017/06/19/technolog...fessional/
Quote:Varjo — Finnish for “Shadow” — emerges from the shadows of stealth development today by announcing what it calls the first human eye-resolution headset for immersive display in virtual reality (AR). Today’s announcement is the first step in a series of upcoming Varjo-branded immersive computing products as well as a showcase for cooperative ventures with existing applications for design and other professional uses of high-resolution graphics.

The first Varjo device scheduled to ship later this year is a headset which Varjo says has resolution seventy times more powerful than current shipping or announced products, including Facebook Oculus, HTC Vive, Magic Leap, and others. Varjo is using patented technology that replicates how the human eye works, delivering what the company calls a “super-high-resolution image” to the user’s gaze direction. The new product will also use video-see-through (VST) technology giving it augmented and mixed reality (AR/MR) for unparalleled AR/MR capabilities. ...
The team of 19 have experience in both hardware and software development at such companies as Microsoft, Nokia, Intel, Nvidia, and Rovio. The company is only 11 months old, but believes their experience and their technology makes their goal of a shipping product to key partners by year’s end is realistic.

One of the sample uses of Varjo technology we were shown in our interview was using a 2D CAD drawing of a floor plan. Using Varjo’s pass-through technology it becomes possible for an architect or a construction worker to see both a construction detail drawing and the building site at the same time. Resolution and pass-through vision are both key in this example. The CAD drawing must be as readable as a paper copy, something not possible on existing technology. The pass-through part allows the immersive device to show both the drawing and the room. Varjo controls the entire view, but allows reality to co-mingle with imagery. “We control the entire field of view,” says Konttori.

Varjo uses a controlled field of view to allow fast computation of the immersive images. Only the two degrees of view the eye looks directly at is served at full resolution. When the eye moves in the object, the full resolution moves along. Konttori claims the system runs at approximately 20ms latency, in line with existing systems but doing so at much higher resolution.

The first devices to ship before year’s end will go to key developers, who will not be revealed by the company until they ship. Konttori expects the price of the first generation product will be “like a professional monitor… something a freelance CAD consultant can afford.”