• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VR Discussion Thread
What I mean by that is, there is no realistic prospect of an upgraded replacement. Therefore the current Rift is a dead man walking IMO. It’s only a matter of time before Oculus abandons it completely. It has become pretty clear that they are abandoning the PC VR gaming market. They are going in a different direction.
We really don't know. It appears that Oculus will toss the PC a VR bone in the future with an upgraded Rift. They can't afford to ignore the PC completely.
We'll see. VR is in a tough spot right now. I'm saddened to see that it did not catch on better than it has. I can see why though. I'm a perfect example of a gamer with the means and the desire to buy it, but they dropped the ball. I know this is stereotypical, but I'm a geek and I wear glasses. How could they not cater to that market? It would be like making a pool that you can't use while wearing a bathing suit. Or a shower you can't use without soap. Or a kettle that can't use water. It's just a huge design and marketing fail. An epic failure. I mean, look at the trouble you had to go through to use the Rift. Pediatric glasses. I mean, come on. Who is really going to do that? In my case a pair of glasses would cost $300-400. It makes zero sense. At the very least they should have made away to ship the device with custom prescription lenses if you email them your prescription. Something at least. Then there is also the fragmented game market. But you know, in a way Oculus leaving the space might be just what VR needs. Steam VR will take over completely. The game market will no longer be fragmented. And hopefully Valve will allow other manufacturers to make games for the Steam VR spec with full compatibility. And with a monopoly hopefully it will give Valve the funds they need to continue developing for the platform.

Really all along Valve was the company that could/should make VR viable between the two of them. Facebook is not a gaming company, and quite honestly I view them as one of the most evil and vile corporations on this earth. I'm somewhat shocked that they made the better of the two VR platforms, and even that is debatable. The Rift was mostly better because it was much cheaper.

We'll see what happens. It's definitely a "wait and see" time in terms of PC VR IMO.
(11-25-2018, 01:55 AM)SickBeast Wrote: We'll see.  VR is in a tough spot right now.  I'm saddened to see that it did not catch on better than it has.  

VR is not in any tough spot. It has taken industry by storm and it will become mainstream much more quickly than anyone expected. The only area that VR has disappointed (some) is in gaming.
https://venturebeat.com/2018/12/04/idc-v...nd-oculus/

Quote: Led by two headsets, the VR market saw 8.2 percent year-over-year growth in the third quarter of 2018, with AR headsets achieving a smaller 1.1 percent gain.

The quarter’s VR shipment leader was Oculus, which shipped a combined 491,000 units of its Go and Rift headsets, accounting for 25.9 percent of the entire VR market. These numbers don’t include the nearly 60,000 units sold of Xiaomi’s Mi VR, which is the same device as the Oculus Go under a different name.

But Sony’s PlayStation VR was the single best-selling headset in the quarter with shipments of 463,000 headsets, topping Rift’s 300,000 units and HTC’s sales of 230,000 Vives. The continued strength of PSVR — a tethered solution requiring a PlayStation 4 console — is particularly noteworthy given that standalone VR headsets have grown to 20.6 percent of the market. By contrast, IDC says that shipments of screenless VR devices such as Samsung Gear VR have declined by 58.6 percent, as brands including Google have “significantly scaled back their efforts” on these accessory-class headsets.
Dance3
Have to agree with Apoppin on this one.

Bought Rollo Jr a Rift for his birthday, it's more immersive than anything on a screen in front of you could ever be. He's spent a lot of hours on it, the day we set it up he had a couple buddies over and they stayed up until 5am playing with it.

Hasn't changed my gaming habits yet, but it is impressive.

(11-25-2018, 01:55 AM)SickBeast Wrote: We'll see.  VR is in a tough spot right now.  I'm saddened to see that it did not catch on better than it has.  I can see why though.  I'm a perfect example of a gamer with the means and the desire to buy it, but they dropped the ball.  I know this is stereotypical, but I'm a geek and I wear glasses.  How could they not cater to that market?  It would be like making a pool that you can't use while wearing a bathing suit.  Or a shower you can't use without soap.  Or a kettle that can't use water.  It's just a huge design and marketing fail.  An epic failure.  I mean, look at the trouble you had to go through to use the Rift.  Pediatric glasses.  I mean, come on.  Who is really going to do that?  In my case a pair of glasses would cost $300-400.  It makes zero sense.  At the very least they should have made away to ship the device with custom prescription lenses if you email them your prescription.  Something at least.  Then there is also the fragmented game market.  But you know, in a way Oculus leaving the space might be just what VR needs.  Steam VR will take over completely.  The game market will no longer be fragmented.  And hopefully Valve will allow other manufacturers to make games for the Steam VR spec with full compatibility.  And with a monopoly hopefully it will give Valve the funds they need to continue developing for the platform.

Really all along Valve was the company that could/should make VR viable between the two of them.  Facebook is not a gaming company, and quite honestly I view them as one of the most evil and vile corporations on this earth.  I'm somewhat shocked that they made the better of the two VR platforms, and even that is debatable.  The Rift was mostly better because it was much cheaper.

We'll see what happens.  It's definitely a "wait and see" time in terms of PC VR IMO.

There has been a break through in the glasses market, they are called "contact lenses". Little "glasses" you put directly on your eyeballs and they let you see 20/20 and use the Rift!

Kidding aside, I was surprised I needed glasses because the screen is 2" from your eyes, and that it didn't work with glasses on for me. It did work fine with the contacts.

I don't know that VR could ever become the only way one would game for a variety of other reasons (content, comfort of headset, etc) but it is a fun toy and worth what they charge for it these days. A nice option to have.
Wait until the next generation to be really impressed - lighter, wireless, higher resolution and FoV - and eventually cheaper. I expect it will be Vive, not Oculus, however. There are also a lot of really great games that are available for the Rift.

I do understand about not wanting to use contacts. I am much more comfortable with glasses but there are aftermarket solutions using inserts and custom lenses. I also found a cheap (and sloppy but totally workable) solution that I posted to reddit (and here) a few months ago that is now very commonly used by enterprising DiY glasses wearers.

https://babeltechreviews.com/wp-content/...es-fix.jpg
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments...he_oculus/

I will be doing a new VR performance review by the end of this month - once every 3 months to maintain a reasonable schedule coverage. Probably a continuation of the RTX 2080 vs the 1080 Ti with more games, and a few more comparison cards including the Vega 64 and the RTX 2070.
Some have wondered why I don't cover any Oculus games or hardware. Oculus has been swallowed up by Facebook and they don't care about PCVR - they are now "Social Media" VR.

https://www.newsweek.com/facebooks-plan-...le-1556805

In fact, Sean has retired his Rift S and he has purchased an Index and a Reverb G1 (to test higher resolutions; the G2 is a half-baked mess right now).
---So no Oculus anything.
Beee

In PCVR news - the Next Gen of HMDs are OtW for 2021.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/76916/htc...index.html

For 2021, I fully expect an Index II from Valve, and no doubt HP has significant room to improve with a G3 since G2 sucks.

This can only happen because affordable video cards can finally play high-end PCVR with this generation of Ampere and Big Navi. A $399 RTX 3060 Ti can play in VR as well as last gen's $800 RTX 2080. So VR is slowly but surely becoming mainstream although it will take years.

I expect lighter and less bulky wireless HMDs with foviated rendering/eye tracking, wider FoV and higher resolution and refresh rates. - at (eventually) lower prices because of competition. And on the SW side, DLSS has already come to VR and ray traced games aren't far behind.
i was reading about this for awhile and i figured as much. doesn't make sense for you to cover this anyore. "Social Media" VR. yuck.
(01-03-2021, 12:08 AM)Magnus Wrote: i was reading about this for awhile and i figured as much. doesn't make sense for you to cover this anyore. "Social Media" VR. yuck.

I hate FB. They are such a dirty company and they don't hide their plans to data mine their customers. That's how they subsidize their VR hardware. I am hoping with the new US administration that they break FB up and spin off Occulus.

But I am getting a new (for me) HMD. Sean is sending me an extra Reverb G1 that he has (with very similar specs to the G2), so I will review it in a couple of weeks as a higher resolution HMD versus the Vive Pro. Sean also purchased a Valve Index but he returned it disappointed. He will cover what he didn't like about it in an upcoming review (and I hope I didn't just spoil it).