• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VR Discussion Thread
I am hoping the new drivers come out after I post my VR evaluation - not before.
:wait:
I have 7 VR games and 3 VR benchmarks that I am benching with 6 cards for Part 2 - GTX 1080 Ti/1080/1070/1060 and Fury X/RX 480 (@580 clocks).

I am almost done testing the Nvidia cards (working on GTX 1060), and will bench Fury X and RX 480 tomorrow.

I didn't pick more cards for these reasons >> Titan X(P 2016) is close to the 1080 Ti's performance, and GTX 1070 is close to 980 Ti just as the GTX 1060 is only a little slower than the GTX 980. And it isn't worth benching VR with entry level cards like the GTX 970 or the 290X (IMO because you have to use mid/low settings).

Are there any other cards that you'd like to see benched? I'll follow up Part 2 with 3-4 more games (Star Trek/Battlezone/The Unspoken/Vanishing of Ethan Carter) that will form the core of BTR's VR benchmark suite (rotating about 10 VR games and 20-25 PC games).
No more cards. :P

You're always super thorough. I think you're just going to continue to build off each VR article that you write and you're going to get really good at it, similar to what you do now in terms of GPU reviews.

I'm looking forward to this one! It's great to hear about your progress. It sounds like it's really coming along.
(06-04-2017, 12:18 AM)SickBeast Wrote: No more cards. :P

You're always super thorough.  I think you're just going to continue to build off each VR article that you write and you're going to get really good at it, similar to what you do now in terms of GPU reviews.

I'm looking forward to this one!  It's great to hear about your progress.  It sounds like it's really coming along.
TBH, I didn't think VR benching would take me this long. 6 months
Blush

However, the benching is far more consistent and more accurate than I expected thanks to FCAT VR. I am going to bench RX 480 at 580 speeds today to compare directly with the EVGA GTX 1060 SC.
:cookie:
(06-04-2017, 02:04 PM)apoppin Wrote:

You're always super thorough.  I think you're just going to continue to build off each VR article that you write and you're going to get really good at it, similar to what you do now in terms of GPU reviews.

I'm looking forward to this one!  It's great to hear about your progress.  It sounds like it's really coming along.
TBH, I didn't think VR benching would take me this long.  6 months
Blush

However, the benching is far more consistent and more accurate than I expected thanks to FCAT VR.  I am going to bench RX 480 at 580 speeds today to compare directly with the EVGA GTX 1060 SC.
Two more cards and then lots of writing. Sounds like we could see the article within a week. Then after that we'll probably see some new nVidia drivers.

I *really* hope Destiny 2 is HDR enabled for the PC. If you could ask the developers that one question at E3 I would be extremely thankful.
(06-04-2017, 08:52 PM)SickBeast Wrote:

Blush

However, the benching is far more consistent and more accurate than I expected thanks to FCAT VR.  I am going to bench RX 480 at 580 speeds today to compare directly with the EVGA GTX 1060 SC.
Two more cards and then lots of writing.  Sounds like we could see the article within a week.  Then after that we'll probably see some new nVidia drivers.

I *really* hope Destiny 2 is HDR enabled for the PC.  If you could ask the developers that one question at E3 I would be extremely thankful.
Really (really) really *a lot* of writing
:worried:

I am going to have to explain VRWorks vs LiquidVR, and then get into the details of MRS (Nvidia's multi-resolution shading) versus Fix Foviated (specifically in Batman Arkham VR). Plus I am going to have 6 cards each with 2 videos (DiRT Rally & Showdown) running the benchmarks with the performance overlay showing the performance which is then related to Nvidia's FCAT VR charts and graphs. Overall, I am showcasing a total of 6 VR games (plus Showdown).
:nerd:

Right now, I am going to take video of the GTX 1060 running Showdown and also DiRT Rally, then I have to redo Showdown with the GTX 1070 (erased it by mistake) before getting to the 2 AMD cards ...
... then I can start writing (and making charts - tons of charts and frametime graphs).
Blush

And I'll see if I can find out if HDR is supported in Destiny 2 at E3.
Thinking
(06-04-2017, 09:07 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(06-04-2017, 08:52 PM)SickBeast Wrote:

Blush

Two more cards and then lots of writing.  Sounds like we could see the article within a week.  Then after that we'll probably see some new nVidia drivers.

I *really* hope Destiny 2 is HDR enabled for the PC.  If you could ask the developers that one question at E3 I would be extremely thankful.
Really (really) really *a lot* of writing
:worried:

I am going to have to explain VRWorks vs LiquidVR, and then get into the details of MRS (Nvidia's multi-resolution shading) versus Fix Foviated (specifically in Batman Arkham VR).  Plus I am going to have 6 cards each with 2 videos (DiRT Rally & Showdown) running the benchmarks with the performance overlay showing the performance which is then related to Nvidia's FCAT VR charts and graphs.  Overall, I am showcasing a total of 6 VR games (plus Showdown).
:nerd:

Right now, I am going to take video of the GTX 1060 running Showdown and DiRT Rally, then I have to redo Showdown with the GTX 1070 (erased it by mistake) before getting to the 2 AMD cards
Blush
Sounds highly technical. Good luck wrapping it up. Sounds like a great article for BTR!
Thank-you. This next article isn't going to bring a lot of traffic initially, but it will signal a new direction for BTR in that it will (also) be a "VR resource" for VR enthusiasts who are interested in comparing performance of competing video cards in VR games.

I'll see if I can find out if HDR is supported in Destiny 2 at E3.
Thinking
(06-04-2017, 09:18 PM)apoppin Wrote: Thank-you. This next article isn't going to bring a lot of traffic initially, but it will signal a new direction for BTR in that it will (also) be a "VR resource" for VR enthusiasts who are interested in comparing performance of competing video cards in VR games.

I'll see if I can find out if HDR is supported in Destiny 2 at E3.
Thinking
That would really be great. Actually it's a good question for the other game developers you're going to meet. There are very few hdr pc games right now. What's most frustrating is that some of the console games with hdr support don't have hdr in the PC version.
(06-04-2017, 09:26 PM)SickBeast Wrote: What's most frustrating is that some of the console games with hdr support don't have hdr in the PC version.
Are you talking mostly about MS games?
:wondering:

GTX 1070 is left of the Nvidia cards to set up, but only 1 video benchmark to go before I set up RX 480 at 580 speeds. I want to see how it performs compared with the GTX 1060. I haven't spent as much time with AMD cards (because I prefer GTX 1080 and higher speeds for VR. I am also interested to see how Fury X does with 4GB of vRAM. I'd say it is less of an issue with VR.

The camera battery is low ... it's time to recharge it .... and mine (nap after lunch)
:pizza: