• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VR Discussion Thread
We’re in Phase 4 of VR and it’s Only Getting Better - by Andy Marken ... Good stuff (especially about VR filmmaking)
https://babeltechreviews.com/were-in-pha...ng-better/
This is really funny.  

https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/...eiling_on/

https://i.imgur.com/JPdDpD9.mp4

If I had the money to do this because I had little room, I would just get a larger apartment
Gamer4
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-faceb...SKCN1M62N1

Quote:Facebook Inc (FB.O) unveiled its new wireless virtual reality headset at a conference on Wednesday and said it plans to start shipping it in spring next year.

Oculus Quest, which comes with touch controllers and does not need a PC to operate, will be priced at $399, according to the company.

The company also plans to launch more than 50 games for the new headset.

Facebook has invested heavily in VR hardware in hopes the technology, which offers a 360-degree panoramic view of faraway or imaginary spaces, will move from a niche interest to a widely used platform for gaming, communication and business applications.

It's an upgrade to the Oculus Go but won't be close to the Rift in performance.
Ugh. I want the Rift 2. These other headsets are nothing but toys.
(09-27-2018, 09:03 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Ugh.  I want the Rift 2.  These other headsets are nothing but toys.

A little better than a toy. This article suggests the Oculus Quest is the VR equivalent of the Switch and competes with it.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-re...do-switch/

Quote:... while Facebook and Oculus executives are optimistic about Quest’s potential, those looking to buy the $400 VR headset should heed the warning of CTO John Carmack, who took a more realistic view of what this mobile headset is capable of.

“A big high-end PC can use up to 500 Watts of power,” Carmack explained, noting that the Quest is using approximately 5 watts of power. “There’s almost a factor of 100 difference in total power between the two devices."

While the Rift is as powerful as the PC its attached to, the Quest’s performance is more in line with the last generation of gaming consoles. “Quest is in the neighborhood of a previous-gen console like an Xbox 360 or PS3 in terms of CPU and GPU, and what you can do on it,” Carmack said ...

To overcome the mobile hardware available on the Quest, Oculus engineers are pulling out all the tricks to make sure they’re able to deliver a high level of performance. With Dead and Buried, a large multiplayer game that’s basically VR laser tag, the team removed some GPU strain by pre-baking level lighting.

“On Rift, you might have real time shadows everywhere,” Oculus developer relations engineer Gabor Szauer explained. “On the Quest, we have all the lighting baked into the scene.” The differences between the two lighting techniques aren’t obvious and removing real-time shadow effects reduces the hardware cost of rendering a scene. Other techniques include texture compression and reducing the number of objects in a scene. In total, Szauer said that the games can look “similar enough” to Rift while drastically slashing hardware requirements.

. . .  Oculus feels the device that will compete for gamer’s attention the most is the Nintendo Switch.

“Realistically, we’re going to wind up competing with the Nintendo Switch as a device,” Carmack said.

It's not bad for $400.  But it isn't comparable (really) to the Rift connected to a high end PC.
Gamer4

[Image: oculus-santa-cruz-720x720.jpg]
How about a killer app for VR? Borderlands 2 announced for VR
(sadly it's only a PSVR exclusive for a year)

FB canceled Rift 2.0. That only leaves Vive in the high-end VR market.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/22/oculus...2-headset/

Quote:Brendan Iribe, the co-founder and former CEO of Oculus, announced today that he is leaving Facebook, TechCrunch has learned.

Iribe is leaving Facebook following some internal shake-ups in the company’s virtual reality arm last week that saw the cancellation of the company’s next generation “Rift 2” PC-powered virtual reality headset, which he had been leading development of, a source close to the matter told TechCrunch.

Iribe and the Facebook executive team had “fundamentally different views on the future of Oculus that grew deeper over time,” and Iribe wasn’t interested in a “race to the bottom” in terms of performance, we are told.

I guess I'll stick to pancake gaming. FB is stupid. They posted their typical BS reply, just like their jackass CEO testifying in front of Congress with his inane promise to "do better" in the future.
Quote:While Facebook did not deny our report that the “Rift 2” being developed under Iribe’s PC VR team had been canceled, the company reiterated to us in a comment that they are continuing to invest in PC.

“While we can’t comment on our product roadmap specifics, we do have future plans, and can confirm that we are planning for a future version of Rift,” a Facebook spokesperson told TechCrunch.

No skin off of my nose. BTR gets 5x the traffic from a pancake game review than it does from a VR game review. I'll play around with it, toss a VR mega-review bone every once in awhile to VR enthusiasts, and ignore it until the true next gen. High-end VR just got set back another 5 years. I guess they don't have the capability to create it.
Wow. That is devastating news for VR in general.
https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/31/after-...r-headset/

Quote:The company’s prototype “Rift 2” device, codenamed Caspar, was a “complete redesign” of the original Rift headset, a source familiar with the matter tells us. Its cancellation signified an interest by Facebook leadership to focus on more accessible improvements to the core Rift experience that wouldn’t require the latest PC hardware to function. ...

... In the wake of the overhaul’s cancellation, the company will be pursuing a more modest product update — possibly called the “Rift S” — to be released as early as next year, which makes minor upgrades to the device’s display resolution while more notably getting rid of the external sensor-tracking system, sources tell us. Instead, the headset will utilize the integrated “inside-out” Insight tracking system, which is core to Facebook’s recently announced Oculus Quest standalone headset.

The “Constellation” tracking system on the current-generation Rift offers precise accuracy thanks to the static external sensors that track the headset and Touch controllers. While the Insight system would likely offer users a much more simplified setup process, a clear pain point of the first-generation product, “inside-out” tracking systems have greater limitations when it comes to the lighting conditions they work in and are generally less accurate than systems with external trackers.

While Oculus has long led the way on hardware advances, this release could be seen as the company playing catch-up with competitors ...
What I'm wondering is, why hasn't Apple made a VR headset yet? We need something simple that "just works". I'm thinking Apple could do this and VR would suddenly become super popular. Apple would probably get it right on the first try.