• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VR Discussion Thread
Here's a real waste of time for VR
http://www.news9.com/story/35175191/cybe...-a-virtual
Quote:CyberLink Corp. (5203.TW), the world’s leading multimedia technology company, today announced that it has set the GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS title for the Longest marathon watching virtual reality (VR) video content. To reach its record breaking goal, Team CyberLink, with help from two devoted New York-based movie fans, endured and recorded a 50-hour non-stop viewing session in a virtual reality headset, setting the bar for future challengers.

Taking place in New York City’s West Village, participants Alejandro “AJ” Fragoso, 26, from Park Slope, Brooklyn and London born Alex Christison, 37, who lives in Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn watched back-to-back movie and 360°-degree titles such as “Stranger Things | Virtual Reality / 360 Experience,” “KONG VR: Destination Skull Island,”and the award-winning 360-degree short film “INVASION!” from Baobab Studios.
Fragoso set the world record for binge watching TV for 94 hours non-stop
Quote:Both before and after the VR movie marathon attempt, Dr. Robert Glatter, Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine, Lenox Hill Hospital, Northwell Health, and Founder and Medical Director of DR 911, a service providing personalized home visits in New York City, conducted regular physical check-ups of the participants to examine the effects of prolonged immersion in a virtual environment. Dr. Glatter’s findings indicated that both participant’s elevated heart rate after a prolonged period of sleeplessness, as well as neurological side-effects such as an increased frequency of involuntary open-eyed “micronaps” and acute hallucinations.
They look a little tweaked, don't they?
:itwasntme:
[Image: GWR_image.jpg]
I hope they had an optometrist on site! That sounds myopia inducing!
One step closer to a holodeck - The Void - VR Arcade; 2 locations in the USA
https://www.thevoid.com/

Tweakers has a youtube video up
(in Dutch)

http://techgage.com/news/vr-needs-a-kill...life-2-vr/
Quote:Valve’s support of VR has been evident over the past couple of years, with its tight cooperation with HTC to deliver and support the Vive. Even so, the company itself hasn’t released much VR content, and it’s become very clear over the years that it doesn’t care about supporting the Half-Life series any longer, either. Fortunately, though, the company isn’t opposed to fan recreations of preexisting games, as Half-Life 2: VR has just been given the a-OK on Steam’s Greenlight.

The most important aspect of the HL2: VR project is the conversion of the game so many of us cherish for VR use, which includes adding in motion support, and also overhauling the entire UI to better suit the VR experience.

If you’re not excited about playing an old looking game in VR, you may be interested to know that the developers plan to update its graphics, by updating the textures, models, maps, and effects. Because VR games need to run at such a high framerate, a graphical overhaul might not put the game on par with modern titles, but any improvements would be welcomed – the game does look dated at this point.

Perhaps one of the most exciting aspects of this project is that its developers plan to offer multiple methods of moving around. If you want to be seated and stick to your trusty mouse and keyboard, that should be possible, and likewise, motion support will also be added, and hopefully, gamepad support, too.

In order to play Half-Life 2: VR at release, you’ll need to own a copy of the original game, as well as Episode 1 and Episode 2, as those look to be included in this overhaul as well. The mod itself will be free, which is probably one of the stipulations behind Valve allowing its IP to be used in this way.

It’s not clear at this point when the HL2: VR will come out, but it’s been in development since 2013, so it already has quite a bit of development time behind it.
https://www.emarketer.com/Article/Snapch...th/1015892
Quote:In 2017, 40.0 million people in the US will engage with some form of augmented reality (AR) at least monthly, up 30.2% over last year, according to eMarketer’s first forecast on AR and virtual reality (VR). Much of AR’s growth will be fueled by Snapchat Lenses and Facebook Stories, while VR usage will be driven by 360-degree videos on social networks. ...
By the end of 2019, eMarketer projects AR users will top 54.4 million, accounting for 16.4% of the US population, or nearly one in five internet users.

Meanwhile, VR has been slower to catch on in the US, and will not reach mass adoption in the foreseeable future.

eMarketer expects 22.4 million people in the US will engage with a form of VR at least monthly this year, up 109.5% over 2016.

The gaming industry is also driving growth of VR headset usage. In 2017, 9.6 million people in the US will use a headset to experience VR monthly, up 98.7% over last year.

While VR headsets provide a more immersive experience, engagement will remain low due to their often high cost. This year, just 2.9% of the US population will use a VR headset at least monthly, eMarketer estimates, with that number growing to just 5.2% by 2019.
I just purchased Star Trek Bridge Crew (for Oculus Rift) for ten dollars off from the Ubisoft store. $39.99. I'll play it tomorrow and may add it to my review along with Battlezone (it's a BLAST to play in VR!!).
- if you have 50 Ubi points, you can get 20% off any Ubi store game.
:nerd:

I just looked ... I have 27 VR games ... 17 of them are suitable for benching.
- I don't even want to know what I have spent on VR
Blush

At any rate, I am set to bench VR games for VR. Everything seems to be coming together finally. I should have 7 or 8 games ready for Part 2, and I'll probably include Star Trek Bridge Crew and Battlezone. All of my reviews from now on will include some VR benching to rank graphics HW.
Thinking
http://fortune.com/2017/06/01/samsung-so...shipments/
Quote:Samsung’s Gear VR headset, one of the cheaper VR headsets, is the most popular, according to an International Data Corporation report published on Thursday. Samsung shipped 490,000 of those headsets in the first quarter, giving the company a 21.5% market share. ...
Sony is the second on IDC's list with 429,000 PlayStation VR headsets shipped in the first quarter. The PlayStation VR requires a PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 4 Pro video game console to operate. Although the PlayStation VR is not as powerful as competing headsets like the HTC Vive or Facebook’s Oculus Rift, the fact that millions of people already own a compatible Sony gaming console is one reason IDC believes Sony “will likely remain a leader in the near term.”

Additionally, several big video game publishers like Capcom said they would make some of their big-name titles compatible with the PlayStation VR. For example, Capcom's latest Resident Evil horror game, which debuted in January, works with the PlayStation VR. IDC believes that Sony will benefit from the availability of blockbuster games.

HTC is the third biggest VR headset supplier with 191,000 of its Vive headsets shipped in the first quarter. Although the Vive is the most expensive VR headset on the market at $800, IDC said that the Taiwanese smartphone maker “enjoyed success in the commercial space as VR cafes have been popping up around the world, particularly in Asia.” Imax (IMAX, +2.12%), for example, is using the HTC Vive in its handful of VR arcades that it is opening this year.

Facebook’s (FB, +0.69%) Oculus Rift headset and the Alcatel VR headset are in bottom 5 of IDC’s headset tracker report. IDC said that Oculus shipped 100,000 Rifts while Alcatel shipped 91,000 in the first quarter.
It will be interesting to see if VR catches on. Wasn't the first VR Nintendo's "Virtual Boy" way back in the day? I also remember VR demos/games at amusement parks when I was a kid, IIRC people were paying at least $10 to try it which was a fair bit of money back then. I think VR has been around longer than we realize. It's just that now the hardware has become affordable for mainstream use. Right now it's the whole chicken and egg thing. They're not making much content for VR because not many people have the headsets, and people aren't buying the headsets because there isn't much content. The same thing goes for 4k HDR. 4k is slowly catching on but it's hard to find HDR content and games.
(06-02-2017, 05:02 PM)SickBeast Wrote: It will be interesting to see if VR catches on.  Wasn't the first VR Nintendo's "Virtual Boy" way back in the day?  I also remember VR demos/games at amusement parks when I was a kid, IIRC people were paying at least $10 to try it which was a fair bit of money back then.  I think VR has been around longer than we realize.  It's just that now the hardware has become affordable for mainstream use.  Right now it's the whole chicken and egg thing.  They're not making much content for VR because not many people have the headsets, and people aren't buying the headsets because there isn't much content.  The same thing goes for 4k HDR.  4k is slowly catching on but it's hard to find HDR content and games.

I think it will. VR in the past totally sucked - like S3D. The technology is here for a very good immersive VR experience. And there are literally hundreds of VR games and applications ... dozens are very well done and worth the money.

The issue is that the headsets are too expensive. That's why the Samsung AND PS4 VR are doing pretty well. Those shipment figures are for Q1 2017.
Have you tried the Serious Sam VR? There is a free beta on Steam right now.