• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turing Discussion Thread
Yeah we'll see. The launch date appears to be coinciding with GTC this year.
(02-16-2018, 05:12 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Yeah we'll see.  The launch date appears to be coinciding with GTC this year.
Actually, this is a pretty realistic look at what we know ... and it would look something like I would write (if someone stuck a gun to my head and said, "or else" ) :P
(nothing is my first choice)
https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/nvidia-v...ifications
Quote:recently there have been the most paper-thin rumours about new Ampere and Turing codenames being released as the next graphics chips from the Nvidia skunkworks. Both GPU names have come from a single line in two disparate articles surrounding Nvidia financial results, and have no sources to make the names in any way believable. Hell, we can make up spurious codenames in our sleep...

But Volta is a GPU architecture that definitely exists and was first unveiled, at least in theoretical form, at Nvidia’s Graphics Technology Conference way back in 2013. It was originally meant to be the GPU silicon which followed directly on from the Maxwell architecture (which made up the GTX 900-series of graphics cards), but a year later up pops the Pascal design used in the most recent 10-series GeForce parts, pushing the prospective Volta chips further back.

But Volta now seems to be back on track, with devices appearing in drivers, and in vague rumours from Chinese websites, so let’s delve into what it is, what it’s going to mean for our gaming PCs and when you can get one jammed into your rig.

Mid-2018 is now probably the most realistic release date for the consumer version of the Volta GPU, despite the professional GPUs being delivered last year. We had thought that maybe Nvidia would launch something at GDC this year, but our sources within the green team tell us that they are categorically not going to be launching a new GPU in March. Nor will they be launching anything game-related at GTC a week later either - that's all just deep-learning, AI, and wheely things.

Computex in June maybe? ...
When they announced the arrival of GDDR6 Hynix mentioned they were “planning to mass produce the product for a client to release high-end graphics card [sic] by early 2018 equipped with high performance GDDR6 DRAMs.” I’m not the only one to think that is a reference to Nvidia and the release of GDDR6-based Volta GPUs.

Team red are now looking unlikely to be refreshing their AMD RX Vega GPUs in the new year, so it doesn't look like they were referring to the Radeon side of things.

Samsung have also announced their own GDDR6 memory is set to "play a critical role in early launches of next-generation graphics cards" which is playing into our suspicions of a relatively early 2018 launch. Though that could just because we're desperate for a new GPU launch to potentially salve the cryptocurrency crisis that's stolen all our graphics cards...

Now here's all the latest SPECULATION
http://www.techradar.com/news/nvidia-tur...next-month

And here's the KING of NONSENSE
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/60857/nvi...index.html
Quote:NVIDIA to launch their next-gen Turing GPU architecture next month at GTC 2018

Reuters is the source behind the news so we have some credit behind it, but the site says that Turing will be NVIDIA's new 'gaming GPU' which leads me to believe that my world exclusive story from a couple of days ago is right: NVIDIA will launch two new GPU series, with one focused on gamers and one for miners. Turing is an interesting choice as the codename is a nod to Alan Turing who was "highly influential in the development of theoretical computer science, providing a formalization of the concepts of algorithm and computation with the Turing machine" according to Wikipedia. Since Turing has roots in cryptography, it would make sense that the Turing-based card will be for miners, while Ampere will be aimed at gamers. Another thing to consider is that NVIDIA could've changed paths as the new ARM-based CPU company, Ampere, has been unveiled in the last week. Maybe I was right on the money and NVIDIA will block crypto mining on its Ampere-based GeForce products, and instead have mining-focused cards with the Turing-based GPUs.

I think there will be a tease at the GDC and GTC and then there will be a stand-alone event for Editors ... then the launch date ... then the reviews ... then the hard launch

AS is USUAL

Angel
Yeah that's quite the analysis. You're probably right.
(02-16-2018, 06:01 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Yeah that's quite the analysis.  You're probably right.

It's realistic.

If you are Jensen, what would you do as a company to maximize your profits in view of the mining boom? And be sure to weigh mining's projected demand in view of complete uncertainty in that market.

IMO there are too many factors to consider that would preclude us from guessing with any certainty what/when then next gen launches. No doubt Nvidia would want to clear the Pascal channel while also stockpiling next gen GeForce. So they are probably walking a tightrope right now - they can't run out of cards completely before the new product is available is stockpiled in sufficient quantity.

It makes sense to me that there will be a stand alone reveal to the media first tied in with a special event as with Pascal in Austin. So there is no date we can tie it to now. Almost everything is handled internally for optimum security; and even if it is 3 months off, they probably would be preparing for the event. And their partners are tied to very strict NDAs so that is why we don't hear dates.

It means that ANY time Nvidia wants to, they can make a pre announcement and an announcement. But it has to be timed properly - too early kills card sales; and too late doesn't maximize excitement.

However, Nvidia likes to tie in major announcements with established events. So we have the GDC/GTC in March. There is also the huge trade show in Taiwan, PAX events, E3 (I sign up for a press pass today), and a myriad of others. The only way to tell which one is when Nvidia says, "watch for an announcement" (of an announcement) a couple of weeks before the show.
Thinking

I could turn this into an article ... but who really cares about speculation? We will know soon enough .. and I am absolutely not hurting with a GTX 1080 Ti.
:tumbleweed:
Hey apoppin there is speculation that the GTX 2070 will be faster than my GTX 1080 Ti cards, and that they will be released in mid April. What are your thoughts? I'm thinking about dumping my cards now, or soon even. I'm kind of torn about what to do. My thoughts right now are that it will be at least mid May before we see the aftermarket cards, which is what I would want, and I can recoup quite a bit of the cost via mining before then. However if I can get top dollar for my current cards right now, I am extremely tempted to do it.

I've got to give SteelCrysis credit for posting this on ABT by the way. I would share his link if he gave me permission. It's really interesting.
(02-16-2018, 10:17 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Hey apoppin there is speculation that the GTX 2070 will be faster than my GTX 1080 Ti cards, and that they will be released in mid April.  What are your thoughts?  I'm thinking about dumping my cards now, or soon even.  I'm kind of torn about what to do.  My thoughts right now are that it will be at least mid May before we see the aftermarket cards, which is what I would want, and I can recoup quite a bit of the cost via mining before then.  However if I can get top dollar for my current cards right now, I am extremely tempted to do it.

I've got to give SteelCrysis credit for posting this on ABT by the way.  I would share his link if he gave me permission.  It's really interesting.

Unless it is his personal link, it's public information.

I would not sell on any speculation unless I believed that mining is going to crash. Sell just before you are certain something new is coming. You may be off the peak, but you will not be waiting a long time.

Right now is a good time to sell - because of mining. I could have easily got $150 more for my 1070 Ti.,
Thanks.

I guess the question is, do you expect Ampere to be to Pascal what Pascal was to Maxwell? Because if that happens it's going to really shake things up.

Part of me thinks to just keep doing what I'm doing and keep mining until the GTX 2080 Ti comes out, because that's going to be the card that I really want. And really, as great as nVidia is and everything, if they can pull off another launch of Pascal's significance it will be pretty shocking, in a good way. After what I have seen of Volta I will be extremely impressed if they do it.
(02-16-2018, 10:30 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Thanks.

I guess the question is, do you expect Ampere to be to Pascal what Pascal was to Maxwell?  Because if that happens it's going to really shake things up.

Part of me thinks to just keep doing what I'm doing and keep mining until the GTX 2080 Ti comes out, because that's going to be the card that I really want.  And really, as great as nVidia is and everything, if they can pull off another launch of Pascal's significance it will be pretty shocking, in a good way.  After what I have seen of Volta I will be extremely impressed if they do it.

I'm not sure. We have nothing certain to go by. Titan V is not optimized for gaming. However, next gen won't be a major node shrink, so that advantage will be gone. If I have to guess, I would not be super-optimistic to see the same jump from Maxwell to Pascal, but I do expect a solid performance improvement. I don't think this is new architecture but is evolutionary.
(02-16-2018, 10:36 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(02-16-2018, 10:30 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Thanks.

I guess the question is, do you expect Ampere to be to Pascal what Pascal was to Maxwell?  Because if that happens it's going to really shake things up.

Part of me thinks to just keep doing what I'm doing and keep mining until the GTX 2080 Ti comes out, because that's going to be the card that I really want.  And really, as great as nVidia is and everything, if they can pull off another launch of Pascal's significance it will be pretty shocking, in a good way.  After what I have seen of Volta I will be extremely impressed if they do it.

I'm not sure.  We have nothing certain to go by.  Titan V is not optimized for gaming.   However, next gen won't be a major node shrink, so that advantage will be gone.  If I have to guess, I would not be super-optimistic to see the same jump from Maxwell to Pascal, but I do expect a solid performance improvement.  I don't think this is new architecture but is evolutionary.
Yeah that sounds logical.

Here is a new article saying that Ampere/Volta/Turing won't be launched at GTC next month:

https://pcgamesn.com/nvidia-geforce-next...rd-release

They claim to have spoken to nVidia directly about this.

I'm going to wait for a bit. I can't be without my gaming hardware for that long. My thoughts were to sell my two GTX 1080 Ti cards along with one of my GTX 1070 cards, and then just keep the single GTX 1070 card to game on for the time being. It would be painful. I guess I could play some of my older games in my backlog. I'm going to think about doing this. My biggest fear is that I would be unable to buy an Ampere card at all due to extremely high demand. nVidia could raise prices also. Actually I would be shocked if they didn't.
I told you that it won't be launched at the GTC.
----The GTC is not for GeForce this year (period). I got invited by the Quadro division, not GeForce.
(how is that for deductive reasoning? ... I am personally becoming more interested in programming ... that's Quadro/Tesla=GTC)

There is a slight chance of some tid-bits being dropped but not the launch.

The GDC is earlier, so that makes it unlikely.

The VERY BEST analysis indicates a completely *standalone* launch event coupled with an Editor's day.

The only thing we are waiting for now is the Announcement

(of the announcement) ... and it is likely to be related so some kind of an upcoming event ,,, could be e3 (but I doubt it)
Thinking

The longer you wait to sell - as long as mining demand is high - the better

Trump Architecture? Just say No!
:D