• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turing Discussion Thread
(01-10-2018, 09:11 PM)SickBeast Wrote: It's starting. It's starting to happen.

Not quite.

:wait:
(01-10-2018, 09:34 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(01-10-2018, 09:11 PM)SickBeast Wrote: It's starting. It's starting to happen.

Not quite.

:wait:

I'm not used to waiting for nVidia. I usually wait for AMD. Thinking
(01-10-2018, 09:48 PM)SickBeast Wrote: I'm not used to waiting for nVidia.  I usually wait for AMD.  Thinking

Says the man with the highly overclocked GTX 1080 Ti

:D
The "latest"

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.3dcenter.org%2Fnews%2Fnvidia-ampere-geruechtekueche-gp102-produktion-bereits-eingestellt-ga104-seit-februar-produktio&edit-text=&act=url

They expect the new Geforce to be announced at the GTC (late March, I am going), and launched April 12
(02-08-2018, 03:21 PM)apoppin Wrote: The "latest"

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.3dcenter.org%2Fnews%2Fnvidia-ampere-geruechtekueche-gp102-produktion-bereits-eingestellt-ga104-seit-februar-produktio&edit-text=&act=url

They expect the new Geforce to be announced at the GTC (late March, I am going), and launched April 12

Yeah that's what I'm hearing also. I will just miss my step up window. Cry
(02-08-2018, 03:44 PM)SickBeast Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 03:21 PM)apoppin Wrote: The "latest"

Yeah that's what I'm hearing also.  I will just miss my step up window.  Cry

FIRST of ALL, this is a RUMOR. They may get the announcement date right - GDC or GTC - but it would be difficult to get the hard launch date - it may be the day the review NDA ends (assuming any of this is true).

And SECONDLY, they will probably not release the GTX 2080 Ti unless they break their pattern of since Fermi - the second tier launches first - the GTX 2080/2070. In which case, you will probably not upgrade
Thinking

HOWEVER, Nvidia could possibly pull off a 2080 Ti ... after all, it will be less complex than the Titan V which is in full production
:nerd:
Well, there is a miner on the HardOCP forum who claims to have been purchasing lots of 30 to 100 graphics cards at a time directly from the board partners. He said that in December they stopped selling to him because they had no cards available because they were ramping up production on the Volta cards. So you were right about this. I'm surprised the board partners would tell him this and allow him to post it right out in the open.

We could see a GTX 2080 Ti card, who knows. In my case if the GTX 2080 is $599CAD or less it will mean that my GTX 1080 Ti SLI purchases weren't the best idea. We'll see. The cards will probably be difficult to obtain. If they are good at mining and power efficient I might replace my GTX 1070 cards with GTX 2080 cards. Probably not though. It looks like I'm going to have my current hardware for a long time.
(02-08-2018, 04:12 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Well, there is a miner on the HardOCP forum who claims to have been purchasing lots of 30 to 100 graphics cards at a time directly from the board partners.  He said that in December they stopped selling to him because they had no cards available because they were ramping up production on the Volta cards.  So you were right about this.  I'm surprised the board partners would tell him this and allow him to post it right out in the open.

We could see a GTX 2080 Ti card, who knows.  In my case if the GTX 2080 is $599CAD or less it will mean that my GTX 1080 Ti SLI purchases weren't the best idea.  We'll see.  The cards will probably be difficult to obtain.  If they are good at mining and power efficient I might replace my GTX 1070 cards with GTX 2080 cards.  Probably not though.  It looks like I'm going to have my current hardware for a long time.

There is so much I could post ... I just don't. Everyone in the industry "hears" things .. and it is pretty easy to figure out the pattern if you are a long time industry watcher.

If I were a gamer, I would sell my most valuable card now and minimize my "loss" since I could take a profit and still keep one top card. As a miner, you have different objectives to consider
:-/
(02-08-2018, 04:27 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 04:12 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Well, there is a miner on the HardOCP forum who claims to have been purchasing lots of 30 to 100 graphics cards at a time directly from the board partners.  He said that in December they stopped selling to him because they had no cards available because they were ramping up production on the Volta cards.  So you were right about this.  I'm surprised the board partners would tell him this and allow him to post it right out in the open.

We could see a GTX 2080 Ti card, who knows.  In my case if the GTX 2080 is $599CAD or less it will mean that my GTX 1080 Ti SLI purchases weren't the best idea.  We'll see.  The cards will probably be difficult to obtain.  If they are good at mining and power efficient I might replace my GTX 1070 cards with GTX 2080 cards.  Probably not though.  It looks like I'm going to have my current hardware for a long time.

There is so much I could post ... I just don't.  Everyone in the industry "hears" things .. and it is pretty easy to figure out the pattern if you are a long time industry watcher.

If I were a gamer, I would sell my most valuable card now and minimize my "loss" since I could take a profit and still keep one top card.  As a miner, you have different objectives to consider
:-/
Well, I could very easily sell the new GTX 1080 Ti card I just bought at a massive profit. The thing is, though, that particular card is extremely hard to find and I really need it to complete my SLI setup, which I like. I could sell the GTX 1070 cards but they have turned out to be ideal for mining. Actually the two GTX 1070 cards combined with the Ryzen CPU I bought from you bring in almost as much profit as the GTX 1080 Ti cards. Over the holidays things were different and the Ti cards were doing a lot better, but something has changed and they are no longer all that great for mining.

The thing is, if I sell the cards, every day that goes by represents lost mining profits for me. I'm actually completely 100% happy with what I have now and I think I'm just going to ride it out for as long as I can and see what happens. I will probably wait for a deal on Big Volta. Maybe a game promotion if it's a game I like.
(02-08-2018, 05:03 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Well, I could very easily sell the new GTX 1080 Ti card I just bought at a massive profit.  The thing is, though, that particular card is extremely hard to find and I really need it to complete my SLI setup, which I like.  I could sell the GTX 1070 cards but they have turned out to be ideal for mining.  Actually the two GTX 1070 cards combined with the Ryzen CPU I bought from you bring in almost as much profit as the GTX 1080 Ti cards.  Over the holidays things were different and the Ti cards were doing a lot better, but something has changed and they are no longer all that great for mining.

The thing is, if I sell the cards, every day that goes by represents lost mining profits for me.  I'm actually completely 100% happy with what I have now and I think I'm just going to ride it out for as long as I can and see what happens.  I will probably wait for a deal on Big Volta.  Maybe a game promotion if it's a game I like.

I acknowledged that mining complicates the picture. If it were me, I would sell the newest Ti for a profit, keep the other Ti and sell both GTX 1070s. I cleared out my only two cards that I can (legally) sell. If I had more, I would sell them also. And as I got closer to the new GeForce launch, I'd move to IG and make sure I was first in line to buy an extra top card at launch to speculate with or to SLI
Thinking