• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vega Due In 2017
(03-18-2017, 12:07 AM)SickBeast Wrote: I'm not holding my breath.  AMD will do anything they can at this point to try and prevent people from buying the nVidia cards.

Like what?

AMD knows they have to release ASAP.

I kinda expect a Vega launch to be similar to the last 5 or 6 AMD launches.
(03-18-2017, 12:26 AM)apoppin Wrote:
(03-18-2017, 12:07 AM)SickBeast Wrote: I'm not holding my breath.  AMD will do anything they can at this point to try and prevent people from buying the nVidia cards.

Like what?  

AMD knows they have to release ASAP.

I kinda expect a Vega launch to be similar to the last 5 or 6 AMD launches.
Just all the leaks and all the hype. It's all AMD has right now. They did the same thing with Ryzen. I expect Vega to perhaps be a little faster than a GTX 1070. But I don't expect it to overclock well, and I also expect it to run hot, loud, and power hungry. It's going to be Hawaii 2.0, IMO. Pure speculation but AMD has to prove me wrong on those fronts. They seem to be releasing all their products pre-overclocked lately. Even Ryzen has very little headroom.
https://www.techpowerup.com/231724/amd-s...t-in-linux
Someone in the comments notices that AMD's patches mention a PLX sensor. This could mean a dual-GPU Vega card.
RX Vega will come in 4 GB and 8 GB models: http://www.pcgamer.com/amd-rx-vega-will-...-variants/
Huh
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4058480...w-catalyst
Quote: I don't think the next up move in AMD's stock will be driven by its CPUs. The upcoming launch of its Radeon RX Vega with HBM2 memory will be the next catalyst for the stock, because it will help AMD regain platform leadership for the first time since 2006, which I first mentioned in this article.
AMD will launch its new HBM2 (high-bandwidth memory) powered, high-end graphics cards in 4GB and 8GB variants based on Vega-architecture within few weeks. These cards will be more powerful than AMD's RX series cards released last year based on Polaris architecture, coupled with its LiquidVR technology. Polaris was an architecture based on GDDR5 memory.

Although AMD claimed that Polaris architecture, coupled with LiquidVR technology, was capable of delivering good VR (virtual reality) experience, the fact is that without high-end memory support, it's impossible to deliver VR-based fully immersive gaming performance. HBM2-based Vega will have the potential to remove this bottleneck. Vega-based cards will outcompete even Nvidia's (NASDAQ:NVDA) most powerful graphics card for gaming, which is its Pascal-based GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X memory. Vega will also deliver smooth 4K display.
Sure. Based on .. what ? voodoo predictions? .. and it make you wonder WtH "outcompete" means

:mmm:
Hmm. I will say they are clearing out the GTX 1080 cards right now. The latest deal is $570CAD for a Founder's Edition ($427USD). I would have bought one for that price. Mind you, I do enjoy the cooling on my GTX 1070.
(04-15-2017, 07:24 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Hmm.  I will say they are clearing out the GTX 1080 cards right now.  The latest deal is $570CAD for a Founder's Edition ($427USD).  I would have bought one for that price.  Mind you, I do enjoy the cooling on my GTX 1070.
I guess the GTX 1080 with the faster memory will be available pretty soon.

Vega is a giant unknown. SeekingAlpha is full of nonsense as usual although AMD's stock may be a good buy now.
(04-15-2017, 07:26 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(04-15-2017, 07:24 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Hmm.  I will say they are clearing out the GTX 1080 cards right now.  The latest deal is $570CAD for a Founder's Edition ($427USD).  I would have bought one for that price.  Mind you, I do enjoy the cooling on my GTX 1070.
I guess the GTX 1080 with the faster memory will be available pretty soon.

Vega is a giant unknown. SeekingAlpha is full of nonsense as usual although AMD's stock may be a good buy now.
Yeah their comment about Vega's performance definitely came out of left field. We will see if they are right.
https://www.techpowerup.com/232708/amd-c...is-quarter
Quote:Via Facebook, AMD has confirmed that Vega is nearly here - at least, as nearly here as a "this quarter" can be. This means Vega will launch in two-months time (Q2 extends through the months of April, May and June, after all.) Through a post on its Facebook page, AMD replied that Vega will be coming "when it's ready... And it will be this quarter."
What happened to "Prey running on Vega"? That's May 5, I believe.
Huh