• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US Coast Guard vs. Jaws
Video 

Was that big white platform a jetty or another boat? Either way it looks to me like those people were swimming way too far away from the shore for safety.
(08-29-2020, 03:13 AM)gstanford Wrote: Was that big white platform a jetty or another boat? Either way it looks to me like those people were swimming way too far away from the shore for safety.

It's a Coast Guard training exercise conducted from a ship. After the exercise, some of the crew went swimming ... and then the shark showed up.

I don't know, I think some of those guys are pretty slow swimmers
Beee

They are the kind of friends I used to like to go surfing with at breaks where sharks are known to frequent
Biggrin

A longboarder and I were the last two guys out getting waves at the Imperial Beach Pier in S. San Diego - it was almost dark and huge fin popped out of the water - it looked like a small sailboat to me then; most likely a pretty large white shark. The longboarder and I shared the same wave and hit the beach at exactly the same time. I found out the next day that there was a fishing competition earlier that day, and there was a lot of chum and bait in the water ...
Drinks
I can understand surfers going out a little deeper to catch a good wave but it's downright reckless for swimmers to go out too deep no matter how good at swimming they might be - the shark is better still.
(08-29-2020, 05:46 AM)gstanford Wrote: I can understand surfers going out a little deeper to catch a good wave but it's downright reckless for swimmers to go out too deep no matter how good at swimming they might be - the shark is better still.

The danger from sharks is grossly exaggerated. They know who we are. MOST of the time. What other species splashes and hollers in the water like humans surfing?

I used to surf a very shark infested channel wave on a secret spot on the NW shore of Oahu. A friend of mine is a pilot and his job then was to fly skydivers to their jump point. He flew very often over my surf break - and he said there were huge sharks in the channel about 200 yards (or meters) away. He said he would see a large Tiger or a Hammerhead break away from the channel and come to investigate us - he said they would swim to about 20 meters away and circle and then head back to the channel.

I have seen a big Tiger bite a huge green turtle in half very close to where were were all surfing on the N. Shore ... they aren't interested in eating humans - unless we are dead and then they are scavengers and will eat anything.

Of course, if you are alone, and the shark is hungry ... or it is a case of mistaken identity ... oops ... a Great White will bite and if it's human, may not return to eat it. But a Tiger that makes a mistake will eat you after you bleed to death.