• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iPad Pro 2018 refurbished deals
(03-20-2020, 02:43 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Ugh.  Yeah I read that news last night also but I didn't want to worry you too much if you did not know about it.  Now apparently they are ordered all Californians to stay at home.  What does that mean?  What if you need to go out and buy groceries or pick up a prescription at a pharmacy?

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  We could be next up here.

The iPad Pro will be a good distraction for me and your new VR game should be a great distraction for you.

Best wishes from the north.

Thank-you. How could I not know? Governor Newsom addressed California at 5:30 PM on all the local channels.

I am really glad I live in California. Our governor is intelligent and proactive - unlike the fool in charge at the White House. I wonder if any of his supporters really think he is doing a great job. If so, they are just as delusional as Trump. Look at his letter to Trump on Wednesday:

https://www.gov.ca.gov/wp-content/upload...l-Ship.pdf

Trump's response: Huh? ... at least the Mercy ship is being sent.

I order online and I have no prescriptions (I don't plan to visit my doctor except in a life-or-death emergency; all chiropractic/dental appointments were canceled 2 weeks ago - until this crisis ends). My neighbor also works for Whole Foods, and he has offered to pick up groceries for me - or from Walmart curbside pick-up - when he goes shoppng for his family. However, I hate to burden him (other than occasionally) so I am looking into getting fresh groceries from this subscription service:
https://www.imperfectfoods.com/

I am thinking of you also. "Could be next"? I am very sorry, but there is no doubt CV will infect your major cities and you can expect that same 50%+ infection rate unless your PM takes *drastic* measures.

Stay away from people - now! Social distancing is the only solution until there is an effective treatment. It's going to be at least a year until a vaccine is safe and universally available.

Gaming is a great way to escape. Movies are good too.
Good3

Best wishes from the locked-down South West!!! We are in this together
Friends
Thanks. Things are good here and I had an amazing day with my kids. Sounds like you will be just fine. Please stay safe.
So I got the iPad Pro yesterday. I wasn’t sure how much better it would be compared to the vanilla iPad and I had thoughts of returning it. It’s an amazing device though. Extremely fast and responsive. Beautiful screen. I really notice the 120hz feature. I definitely recommend this thing at this price.

It scores around 18,000 in Geekbench versus 24,000 for a stock 8700k. 10 billion transistors in the a12x versus 3 billion in the 8700k. Quite the engineering marvel. My GTX 1080 Ti has 12 billion transistors. It’s kind of mind blowing how advanced our technology is becoming.

It would be cool if they could make my Steam games run on this thing. I have a lot of fun simple basic games that would probably run well even via emulation.

Speaking of emulation there is a really nice humble capcom bundle right now for $20. A ton of mega man and street fighter games among other things. I recommend it.

apoppin you would enjoy this iPad for your trade show visits.
(03-21-2020, 12:31 PM)SickBeast Wrote: So I got the iPad Pro yesterday. I wasn’t sure how much better it would be compared to the vanilla iPad and I had thoughts of returning it. It’s an amazing device though. Extremely fast and responsive. Beautiful screen. I really notice the 120hz feature. I definitely recommend this thing at this price.

It scores around 18,000 in Geekbench versus 24,000 for a stock 8700k. 10 billion transistors in the a12x versus 3 billion in the 8700k. Quite the engineering marvel. My GTX 1080 Ti has 12 billion transistors. It’s kind of mind blowing how advanced our technology is becoming.

It would be cool if they could make my Steam games run on this thing. I have a lot of fun simple basic games that would probably run well even via emulation.

Speaking of emulation there is a really nice humble capcom bundle right now for $20. A ton of mega man and street fighter games among other things. I recommend it.

apoppin you would enjoy this iPad for your trade show visits.

It sounds really nice.  Congratulations.  

I saw the Capcom bundle.  I have hundreds of games I haven't played yet.  If I just play games the rest of my life - without working or doing anything else - I couldn't finish them.  And I am still buying and playing new games ... I lovedJedi Fallen Order and completed the main quest.  

You can use GeForce Now to stream to your iPad - or directly to the big TV - in high definition/max setting!  It's still free for an hour at a time; or you can sign up and the first 3 months are free.  Afterward, it's $4.99 a month.  Any game you already own that is supported by GF Now can be streamed from their cloud.  And it's pretty darn good!
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce-now/

A side note ... many of my friends live in Hawaii.  I cannot believe that Hawaii's Department of Health has their heads buried in their as... ... sand.  They are insane and I feel sorry for Hawaii's residents.  Talk about a 3rd world nation mentality.

https://health.hawaii.gov/docd/advisorie...irus-2019/

Quote:Who should be tested?

Only certain people who are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 need to be tested.

Symptoms include:
Fever
Cough or Shortness of breath

Most people who are sick do NOT need to be tested, even if they may have been exposed to COVID-19
There is no specific medicine to treat COVID-19
The management of illness is the same whether you test negative or positive
They are stupid.  Everyone with symptoms should be tested or else it will spread rapidly.

UPDATED.

They are not stupid. The individual states can't get enough test kits - it's a case of already too little too late. And if they do test, it is way too late to track the infected. So Hawaii, California, and New York have all stopped testing (except for health care workers and early responders) to reserve critical resources for when it gets much worse. The new rule is, if you have the symptoms, consider that you have it.

One byproduct of the Cali lockdown - the air is as clean as I have ever seen it. Few cars are on the road now.
The whole Coronavirus situation is a mess. I am trying to rest and keep my immune system strong here.

I’ve had more time with this new iPad Pro. While I do really like it, really it’s only worth about what I paid for it. It’s too fragile. I’m also super annoyed about the lack of a headphone jack. I bought the adapter but it makes using the iPad less enjoyable.

The speakers on it are of really high quality.

So far I’m happy with some reservations.
(03-27-2020, 04:07 PM)SickBeast Wrote: The whole Coronavirus situation is a mess. I am trying to rest and keep my immune system strong here.

I’ve had more time with this new iPad Pro. While I do really like it, really it’s only worth about what I paid for it. It’s too fragile. I’m also super annoyed about the lack of a headphone jack. I bought the adapter but it makes using the iPad less enjoyable.

I would have thought that Apple would solve their ridiculous issues - the iPad has been out forever. Instead they dole out what should have been included in the original iPad bit by bit and call it "upgrades". I can't support them. They remind me of Intel.

Yes, keep your immune system strong. Eat fresh food, lots of fruit including citrus, get your rest, minimize stress, and continue to exercise. The only reason the USA is in such a mess is because the PotUS is a complete moron who doesn't give a crap about anyone but his own fat ass.
Beee
(03-27-2020, 05:49 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 04:07 PM)SickBeast Wrote: The whole Coronavirus situation is a mess. I am trying to rest and keep my immune system strong here.

I would have thought that Apple would solve their ridiculous issues - the iPad has been out forever.  Instead they dole out what should have been included in the original iPad bit by bit and call it "upgrades".  I can't support them.  They remind me of Intel.

Yes, keep your immune system strong.  Eat fresh food, lots of fruit including citrus, get your rest, minimize stress, and continue to exercise.  The only reason the USA is in such a mess is because the PotUS is a complete moron who doesn't give a crap about anyone but his own fat ass.
Beee
I only use Apple stuff because it is the best (IMO).

The headphone jack thing is annoying. The adapter uses the USB-C port which is on the bottom of the iPad, which then forces you to use it upside down, which then blocks the camera for FaceID when you want to unlock it. Plus then you have this unwieldy thing sticking up from the top, and it keeps bumping my leg and stuff when I sit with it. I worry that this will wind up damaging the USB-C port, which is the only way to charge it.

I use headphones a *lot* with my iPhone X. I use a dongle for that too. And now my lightning port is getting damaged and it's becoming loose because of so much use. To repair the lighning port on an iPhone X, it requires disassembling the entire phone. I believe through Apple the cost would be $400-500CAD, which is all the phone is worth. The good news with the iPhone X, at least, is that the phone can still function perfectly fine without the lightning port. I can just charge wirelessly and use bluetooth headphones.

I've actually had thoughts about switching to an LG G7 or G8 because those phones have a quad DAC that apparently sounds really good over nice headphones. I just hate LG phones for different reasons (poor software, really bad battery life).

I just got a Huawei P30 Lite for free through my cellular provider. I've had thoughts of switching to it from my iPhone. It has a headphone jack. It's just that I doubt the headphone jack on it sounds as good as the Apple dongle. I'm a bit fussy in terms of sound quality.

I'm probably just going to leave the P30 Lite in the box and sell it as brand new, once the Coronavirus ends.

The mess you guys are experiencing is partly Trump's fault, but also, you guys don't have a proper healthcare system. I can only imagine what people are going through right now if they don't have insurance/coverage. It's bad enough that they will probably deny treatment to millions of people who do have insurance/coverage. Our healthcare systems can only handle so much. I was told by someone last week that our system here was already running pretty much at capacity before the Coronavirus came along.

We have less than half the number of cases here per capita, and our growth rate appears to be half of what it is in the USA. But we also have much less population density which probably helps.

I am hopeful that I will be ok here. My only exposure is when I buy groceries, and I've been using click and collect for that which I'm sure helps. Lots of hand washing. I think now is when we really have to hunker down. This will probably get bad for the next month or so.

Please stay well down there!
Thank-you for your good wishes! I hope you also stay safe and remain CV-free.

I am playing Alyx, so I only check posts/emails when I am taking a break.

I understand about the iPad being the best overall. I am just disgusted with they way they treat you and their customers. I dislike Intel for the same reasons and I also use their CPU. I'd dump them in a heartbeat if/when AMD beats Intel performance in gaming.

Trump is the problem. Coupled with Congress working together and our current healthcare situation we'd be fine without a total moron in the White House. Italy has a superb healthcare system as do England - yet GB's PM has CV and people are dying in Italy in record numbers.

ANYONE who suspects they have CV - with or without insurance - can get care now in the USA. Even illegal immigrants. The PotUS himself is a disease himself on this country. He is responsible for many deaths and will be responsible for many more. Anyone who thinks he is doing a "great job" is delusional.

I'll reply here about the other 2 posts you made to get back to the game quickly. Yes, I loved that video. She is one heck of an engineer.

And Mario IS working on your issues. On the site skin also. At least we got rid of the other ads :)

Congress *can* work together despite the fool in the White House that keeps diving US. Even over objections of the Republican Kentucky clown Thomas Massie who forced many congress members to fly back to Washington for the vote. He is unfit for any office:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/newsworld...spartandhp