• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Ebay] AMD engineering sample 32c/64t Epyc CPU $229.99USD
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-32-Core-1-6...0025053643&hash=item214aa5bdb1:g:uTIAAOSwiiVbz4bf:sc:USPSPriorityFlatRateEnvelope!15025!US!-1:rk:42:pf:0

It says that it doesn't work in Windows but someone on the Hardforum said he had the same issue with his Xeon Phi chip and it worked in Linux. He also got his Intel chip going under Windows by disabling hyperthreading.

What do you think, apoppin? BTR server chip? Crazy_pilot

If the thing could be overclocked it would be a monumental beast, performance wise. On a gigabit connection I'm certain it could handle BTR on a busy day and then some. Just run it unleashed under Linux. It ships to Canada. My inner geek really wants to buy it but my rational side tells me "hell no".
Don't buy it in mind for using it as a server for BTR.  We can't use your connection - period.  And even if we could, we would need at least 3 complete PCs - and two huge bandwidth connections paralleled - without redundancy that a major host like ours provides, the downtime would be intolerable for any kind of glitch or HW failure.

BTR cannot be hosted "at home" ... it is the impossible dream ... shall I sing it for you?

Let me reinforce your rational side:

HELL NO!
Please admit you are at least somewhat curious to try out a 32c/64t chip. I know I am. And the $229 price of admission sounds worth it. The motherboards are $300-400. I already have all the other components I would need.

What would I do with this, though? That is the question.
Absolutely not curious.

Buy it if you have $229 burning a hole in your pocket. But don't buy it with any idea to use it as a server chip for BTR (although I appreciate your offer, it is impossible).

I am going to contact AMD PR again. I know who. The old team is gone. Who knows, I may get stuck with an Epyc chip - anyway

Biggrin
(11-06-2018, 12:33 AM)apoppin Wrote: Absolutely not curious.

Buy it if you have $229 burning a hole in your pocket.  But don't buy it with any idea to use it as a server chip for BTR (although I appreciate your offer, it is impossible).

I am going to contact AMD PR again.  I know who.  The old team is gone.  Who knows, I may get stuck with an Epyc chip - anyway

Biggrin

It would be cool if you can connect with AMD. I wish you all the best with that. Hopefully their new PR people are decent and will treat you well. It would be wonderful news for BTR and you wouldn't have to stress about buying any more new hardware.
(11-06-2018, 01:28 AM)SickBeast Wrote:

Buy it if you have $229 burning a hole in your pocket.  But don't buy it with any idea to use it as a server chip for BTR (although I appreciate your offer, it is impossible).

I am going to contact AMD PR again.  I know who.  The old team is gone.  Who knows, I may get stuck with an Epyc chip - anyway

Biggrin

It would be cool if you can connect with AMD.  I wish you all the best with that.  Hopefully their new PR people are decent and will treat you well.  It would be wonderful news for BTR and you wouldn't have to stress about buying any more new hardware.

I know some of them who were recently hired from other companies. They have a good reputation and one of them was very helpful to me years ago. AMD has a great and intelligent marketing team in place now. Even if they don't want to deal with BTR - they are a HUGE improvement over the idiots who are now at Intel marketing.
(11-06-2018, 01:35 AM)apoppin Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 01:28 AM)SickBeast Wrote:

Biggrin

It would be cool if you can connect with AMD.  I wish you all the best with that.  Hopefully their new PR people are decent and will treat you well.  It would be wonderful news for BTR and you wouldn't have to stress about buying any more new hardware.

I know some of them who were recently hired from other companies.  They have a good reputation and one of them was very helpful to me years ago.  AMD has a great and intelligent marketing team in place now.  Even if they don't want to deal with BTR - they are a HUGE improvement over the idiots who are now at Intel marketing.

We'll see. I don't have my hopes up and I don't think you should either. But I would go into it with an open mind and see what happens.

I still want to solve this server issue for you somehow. I wish I had some connections for you in the tech world. It would probably be trivial for someone to setup a server for you in some office somewhere on fiber. It bothers me that you are only getting credit for 1/3 of the traffic on BTR.
Actually, I have more hope now than previously (it was Zero before). I believe that Lisa Su is changing AMD for the better.

I am also exploring all of my options. And I have quite a few options to explore. Don't worry about the server issues and traffic counting. BTR is doing OK - way better now than previously (it is paying for itself!).

BtW, I just got Google Analytics report for October. ALL of the performance metrics including traffic are up 15% over September.
I'm not surprised. Congrats. And keep it going. Good3
Thank-you. I will do my best to keep it going. It's what I do and love.

Not to mention it is a heck of a lot of fun ... the best "retirement" that I could have imagined for myself

Gamer4