• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FileBrowser for iOS - recommended!
So I just got this app for $8.49CAD and it's really letting me channel my inner geek. I have been looking for ways to offload/backup the photos on my iPhone and iPad onto either a USB drive or else some type of SD card. Then I came across this app which allows me to backup pretty much anything I want from my iPhone onto the USB hard drive that's hooked up to my router. Right now I have that hard drive only on my local network, but I have the option to put it in the cloud to essentially give myself my own 5tb of "free" cloud storage. The way I look at it, I just paid $8.49 once instead of paying Apple $1.29/month for 50gb of their cloud storage, which wouldn't even be enough for my needs.

Honestly it's hard to put a price on having all my photos backed up. This app has a super nice interface and it seems extremely powerful and versatile. Recommended. Note that Costco tends to sell discounted Apple gift cards.
(09-29-2018, 12:57 AM)SickBeast Wrote: So I just got this app for $8.49CAD and it's really letting me channel my inner geek. I have been looking for ways to offload/backup the photos on my iPhone and iPad onto either a USB drive or else some type of SD card. Then I came across this app which allows me to backup pretty much anything I want from my iPhone onto the USB hard drive that's hooked up to my router. Right now I have that hard drive only on my local network, but I have the option to put it in the cloud to essentially give myself my own 5tb of "free" cloud storage. The way I look at it, I just paid $8.49 once instead of paying Apple $1.29/month for 50gb of their cloud storage, which wouldn't even be enough for my needs.

Honestly it's hard to put a price on having all my photos backed up. This app has a super nice interface and it seems extremely powerful and versatile. Recommended. Note that Costco tends to sell discounted Apple gift cards.

Sounds nice. If I used more files on my phone maybe I would. For normal stuff I use Google drive still for files.

Google photos is a free solution. It backs up all photos for free in high quality and they can be accessed on any device. I stopped buying the max level iPhone for this reason. I use a lot of apps but most of my space was used for music and photos/video. Half of that is gone now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(09-30-2018, 11:13 PM)ZeroEnigma Wrote: Sounds nice. If I used more files on my phone maybe I would. For normal stuff I use Google drive still for files.

Google photos is a free solution. It backs up all photos for free in high quality and they can be accessed on any device. I stopped buying the max level iPhone for this reason. I use a lot of apps but most of my space was used for music and photos/video. Half of that is gone now :)

Do you still use that Kingston drive that you reviewed a few years back to back up from your phone?
Yes! The WD drive has been such a good device for so long. I use it for a Portable battery, and it also has and 120gb SD card on it I use for movies or random things when I travel or go out.

I only stopped using it as heavily as I did before because I got Spotify premium free for a year from T-mobile and they allow me to download all my music on the go.

(09-30-2018, 11:13 PM)ZeroEnigma Wrote:
(09-29-2018, 12:57 AM)SickBeast Wrote: So I just got this app for $8.49CAD and it's really letting me channel my inner geek.  I have been looking for ways to offload/backup the photos on my iPhone and iPad onto either a USB drive or else some type of SD card.  Then I came across this app which allows me to backup pretty much anything I want from my iPhone onto the USB hard drive that's hooked up to my router.  Right now I have that hard drive only on my local network, but I have the option to put it in the cloud to essentially give myself my own 5tb of "free" cloud storage.  The way I look at it, I just paid $8.49 once instead of paying Apple $1.29/month for 50gb of their cloud storage, which wouldn't even be enough for my needs.

Honestly it's hard to put a price on having all my photos backed up.  This app has a super nice interface and it seems extremely powerful and versatile.  Recommended.  Note that Costco tends to sell discounted Apple gift cards.

Sounds nice. If I used more files on my phone maybe I would. For normal stuff I use Google drive still for files.

Well, I have actually found something even better. And it's free (kind of). My Netgear router supports a feature called Readyshare, which is basically a fancy term for USB storage hooked up to the router. The interesting thing, however, is you can enable a feature called Readyshare cloud which makes your data accessible from *anywhere* either via a web browser or their app. What's cool is that their free app will automatically back up your entire camera roll from your phone onto your USB hard drive from *anywhere*. I set it not to use cellular data, but it can. However now any time I am on wifi anywhere, I can backup my photos to the cloud, with practically unlimited free storage.

The FileBrowser app is still good and I don't regret buying it. It is more powerful with a much nicer interface (beautiful actually). The limitation of FileBrowser is that it will only work on my local network. It can't access the drive from the cloud. So when I am home I use that, and when I am away I will use the Netgear app. FileBrowser *can* access all of the major cloud services like Google Drive, OneDrive, and iCloud, however.

I think I will be buying Netgear routers from now on. And I am going to tell my friends and family about this. I know a lot of people that pay Apple monthly for extra cloud storage. $1.29/month for 50gb. No thanks. Try *free* for 7tb. And that's just with a couple of portable hard drives that I have lying around. I could easily hook up a couple of 8tb drives to give me 16tb. I'm even considering letting everyone in my family use my cloud. It would be cool to have all the family photos in one spot.
Oh yeah I wouldnt regret the purchase at all. Google photos isn't the best but it's free, backups all my stuff with a beautiful interface as well. I really like it because it finds things and groups them like a vacation in Vegas or my dogs face.

I can click on an icon for my wife's face or my sisters and have every photo I have ever taken with any of them up instantly. That's why I like it :)

Only person in my home I am paying for the cloud is my mother in law. Pretty Impossible to get her to use any electronics, so I want the security with her things