• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's happening at BTR *16*
(09-13-2018, 08:46 PM)SickBeast Wrote:
(09-13-2018, 08:41 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(09-13-2018, 08:24 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Welcome back, happy medium.  Friends

Drinks

It looks like all of the system instability that would occasionally happen was due to my intermittent PSU.  It worked most of the time, but it can no longer handle high power draw cards.

I made a big mess up yesterday.  Damn Origin asked me if I wanted to use cloud data or my local save for Battlefront II - well, unlike Ubisoft which saves a copy of both data sets, EA deleted my benchmark save.  Fortunately I was able to boot up my AMD partition and restore it. I did not want to play that damn introduction over again.  And Battlefront is too important benchmark to skip even if I do have 35 other games.
Gamer4

Benching now with Vega 64 ... and so far, so good.  It looks like stability is back.  I didn't realize that PSUs can destabilize systems like what happened to me.  I will start a RMA tonight or tomorrow with EVGA.

In other good news, I made it to my chiropractor today ... and the herbs arrived nearly a week late.  It's good to see that I can skip a few days without noticeable harm.  Boiling them now.
Good3

Sounds like lots of stuff is getting sorted out for you today.  It's good to hear.  Good luck with what you're working on.  I have my nose to the grindstone right now also.  But it's a "good" busy.
Yes. I feel a lot better just having the herbs. It has made a real difference to my health and thus to my productivity. I know you know what I am working on for at least 14 hours a day. If I didn't take naps, I would never survive well on 5 hours sleep a night.

(09-13-2018, 08:45 PM)happy medium Wrote: Thanks for the welcome back.....
So it looks like Nvidia has found an opening to raise the image quality bar as well as the performance bar.

With AMD 's stagnant GPU line, I think its the perfect time for RTX line.
A while back I asked the question "what do we do when 4k 60fps+ is easily attained"? 6k 8k? I guess Nvidia answered my question, raise image quality .
Now the new standard will be lower resolution with higher image quality and the new goal will be Ray tracing @ 4k @60 + fps.

This is genius. If they push game developers it will be a total success.

Quote:Yup, I agree.  nVidia has now given people a reason to upgrade for multiple upcoming generations.  It's a brilliant business move.  They have had really smart people working for them for a very long time now.  It's nice to see that they have not stagnated.  They still have that fire burning.  It's really quite impressive.  I kind of wish I owned their stock.

Nvidia has been aiming for the RT goal for a long long time. It wasn't any kind of panic move as some conspiracy theory oriented ones suggest (AMD PR), but it is part of a long evolution I have watched for years unfold at the GTC.

Nvidia has thought this move out very well and I wish them a lot of luck. I am sick of the current state of gaming with minimal improvement on visuals but emphasis on pumping out the same rasterized crappy visuals at higher and higher resolutions and at higher framerates made no sense.

And tomorrow you will see how easy they have made it, and how far Nvidia has pushed game developers. I am supposed to post something tomorrow morning, but I might just make it a TL;DR and save the real work for next week's reveal. Actually, check BTR in the morning ... I will have something up including pictures of the hardware I am benching now.

Paladin
(09-13-2018, 09:02 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(09-13-2018, 08:46 PM)SickBeast Wrote:
(09-13-2018, 08:41 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(09-13-2018, 08:24 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Welcome back, happy medium.  Friends

Drinks

It looks like all of the system instability that would occasionally happen was due to my intermittent PSU.  It worked most of the time, but it can no longer handle high power draw cards.

I made a big mess up yesterday.  Damn Origin asked me if I wanted to use cloud data or my local save for Battlefront II - well, unlike Ubisoft which saves a copy of both data sets, EA deleted my benchmark save.  Fortunately I was able to boot up my AMD partition and restore it. I did not want to play that damn introduction over again.  And Battlefront is too important benchmark to skip even if I do have 35 other games.
Gamer4

Benching now with Vega 64 ... and so far, so good.  It looks like stability is back.  I didn't realize that PSUs can destabilize systems like what happened to me.  I will start a RMA tonight or tomorrow with EVGA.

In other good news, I made it to my chiropractor today ... and the herbs arrived nearly a week late.  It's good to see that I can skip a few days without noticeable harm.  Boiling them now.
Good3

Sounds like lots of stuff is getting sorted out for you today.  It's good to hear.  Good luck with what you're working on.  I have my nose to the grindstone right now also.  But it's a "good" busy.
Yes. I feel a lot better just having the herbs.  It has made a real difference to my health and thus to my productivity.  I know you know what I am working on for at least 14 hours a day.  If I didn't take naps, I would never survive well on 5 hours sleep a night.

(09-13-2018, 08:45 PM)happy medium Wrote: Thanks for the welcome back.....
So it looks like Nvidia has found an opening to raise the image quality bar as well as the performance bar.

With AMD 's stagnant GPU line, I think its the perfect time for RTX line.
A while back I asked the question "what do we do when 4k 60fps+ is easily attained"? 6k 8k? I guess Nvidia answered my question, raise image quality .
Now the new standard will be lower resolution with higher image quality and the new goal will be Ray tracing @ 4k @60 + fps.

This is genius. If they push game developers it will be a total success.

Quote:Yup, I agree.  nVidia has now given people a reason to upgrade for multiple upcoming generations.  It's a brilliant business move.  They have had really smart people working for them for a very long time now.  It's nice to see that they have not stagnated.  They still have that fire burning.  It's really quite impressive.  I kind of wish I owned their stock.

Nvidia has been aiming for the RT goal for a long long time.  It wasn't any kind of panic move as some conspiracy theory oriented ones suggest (AMD PR), but it is part of a long evolution I have watched for years unfold at the GTC.

Nvidia has thought this move out very well and I wish them a lot of luck.  I am sick of the current state of gaming with minimal improvement on visuals but emphasis on pumping out the same rasterized crappy visuals at higher and higher resolutions and at higher framerates made no sense.

And tomorrow you will see how easy they have made it, and how far Nvidia has pushed game developers.  I am supposed to post something tomorrow morning, but I might just make it a TL;DR and save the real work for next week's reveal.  Actually, check BTR in the morning ... I will have something up including pictures of the hardware I am benching now.

Paladin
Cool. The TL;DR sounds good. I'm looking forward to it.
(09-13-2018, 11:44 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Cool.  The TL;DR sounds good.  I'm looking forward to it.

I am trying to see just how short I can make it. In other words, hit all the bullet points in absolutely the fewest words possible.
. . . Something really different.
Wizard

And I will have pics too. I just unboxed some new HW. *

Check back tomorrow AM. I will probably be late with it. My priority is *performance* (vs. value). And it looks like more than 36 benchmarks.

*I'll solve the mystery of the 'under NDA HW incoming'. You asked me if it was coming .. but by the time you asked, I could say 'no'' because it had already arrived.
They say fewer words are more powerful. Sounds good. It reminds me of precis writing.
(09-14-2018, 01:08 AM)SickBeast Wrote: They say fewer words are more powerful.  Sounds good.  It reminds me of precis writing.

It's an experiment. BFG10K was very good at using an economy of words to convey his thoughts.
Hey apoppin just FYI there is a free Forza Horizon 4 demo available through Microsoft. It looks like it would be fantastic for your upcoming review:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/forza-...2jxs?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Just be forewarned that it appears to favor AMD hardware pretty heavily. It sounds like you might think that's a good thing, though. This might be right up your alley. I would appreciate seeing the benchmarks personally as I will be installing the game soon.
(09-14-2018, 01:55 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Hey apoppin just FYI there is a free Forza Horizon 4 demo available through Microsoft.  It looks like it would be fantastic for your upcoming review:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/forza-...2jxs?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Just be forewarned that it appears to favor AMD hardware pretty heavily.  It sounds like you might think that's a good thing, though.  This might be right up your alley.  I would appreciate seeing the benchmarks personally as I will be installing the game soon.

No, it's too late. I have to go back and rebench several cards with SotTR and I don't have any time to add another. Not to mention, no one benches demos.
(09-14-2018, 02:10 AM)apoppin Wrote:
(09-14-2018, 01:55 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Hey apoppin just FYI there is a free Forza Horizon 4 demo available through Microsoft.  It looks like it would be fantastic for your upcoming review:

Just be forewarned that it appears to favor AMD hardware pretty heavily.  It sounds like you might think that's a good thing, though.  This might be right up your alley.  I would appreciate seeing the benchmarks personally as I will be installing the game soon.

No, it's too late.  I have to go back and rebench several cards with SotTR and I don't have any time to add another.  Not to mention, no one benches demos.

Ok. I am downloading it now. I will let you guys know how it goes. I have to say it's nice to see AMD get a "win" in this game.
(09-14-2018, 02:17 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Ok.  I am downloading it now.  I will let you guys know how it goes.  I have to say it's nice to see AMD get a "win" in this game.

A win versus what? And wins are not counted for demos at all - just for games.

Vega 64 versus 1080? That is not a huge surprise.
(09-14-2018, 02:47 AM)gstanford Wrote:
apoppin Wrote:so far, so good. It looks like stability is back. I didn't realize that PSUs can destabilize systems like what happened to me. I will start a RMA tonight or tomorrow with EVGA.

Of couse they can and when fixing PC's that is the very first place you look.  If power isn't being reliably delivered nothing can function properly.  I never cease to be amazed at how people take PSU's for granted.

apoppin Wrote:and the herbs arrived nearly a week late. It's good to see that I can skip a few days without noticeable harm.
Order slightly more than you need occasionally so that you have a buffer to tide you over between deliveries.

This was a very unique PSU problem for me with some strange issues that only manifested rarely and at intervals. I am glad it is solved. Fortunately, it didn't affect my benching results.

The box was well over a week late. I usually give shipments plenty of time.