• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's happening at BTR *16*
(09-12-2018, 02:18 AM)apoppin Wrote: Excuse me but this same thing happened with Vega (and the price never came down until this Late Summer), with Pascal, with Kepler and Maxwell ... and every card before it.

These are PRE Launch prices.  Complain again in a couple of months after there is good stock and the first rush of buying fever subsides.

You should have been the first in line at the Nvidia store to preorder *two* 2080 Tis - and then sell one immediately for $1800 and recover much of your costs - if you want to play that game.

We'll see. I don't remember this before with the nVidia cards. Certainly not to this extent. $200USD is a tough pill to swallow. And I'm not interested.
(09-12-2018, 02:20 AM)SickBeast Wrote: We'll see.  I don't remember this before with the nVidia cards.  Certainly not to this extent.  $200USD is a tough pill to swallow.  And I'm not interested.

I remember that Pascal was in very short supply and there were also complaints that the FE was jacking up the prices of the AIB models back then.

AMD's recycled trash ... wait awhile. The only way that makes sense to be an early adopter is to buy multiple cards from the Nvidia store and to resell them. Actually, before I blew my money on herbs and Hawaii, I was planning to buy a Ti on day one.
Air_kiss
(09-12-2018, 02:24 AM)apoppin Wrote:
(09-12-2018, 02:20 AM)SickBeast Wrote: We'll see.  I don't remember this before with the nVidia cards.  Certainly not to this extent.  $200USD is a tough pill to swallow.  And I'm not interested.

I remember that Pascal was in very short supply and there were also complaints that the FE was jacking up the prices of the AIB models back then.

AMD's recycled trash ... wait awhile.  The only way that makes sense to be an early adopter is to buy multiple cards from the Nvidia store and to resell them.  Actually, before I blew my money on herbs and Hawaii, I was planning to buy a Ti on day one.
Air_kiss
Well like I said, for $1000USD I could very well be interested in a Ti card myself. Hopefully the prices will settle. Unlike AMD who "never settles". LOL.
Actually, I do like the direction Nvidia is heading with ray tracing and with putting AI into gaming. So we are going to disagree on fundamentals.

Nvidia had to start somewhere with RT ... and they picked ... now. I really don't care if you don't like it. You probably hated T&L when it first came out and probably said it was stupid back then and would never become popular. I know you think VR is a gimmick, and you are so wrong as to be a 'flat earth' person in my book - a graphics fundamentalist. So I am not going to agree with a grumpy old man on Nvidia's direction either.

Buy Intel when they bring out a discrete graphics card and make yourself happy. Or toss your PS4 and get a PS5, then a PS6, etc.
JC-LOL
(09-12-2018, 03:19 AM)gstanford Wrote: LOL!  I was one of the first to purchase a GeForce 256 SDR!  You haven't the first clue when it comes to me and my preferences!

That was my first GeForce
Drinks

We disagree!?!?!! ...
. . . . so what's new?

Good3
This is actually one of my daughter's favorite toys:

https://www.amazon.ca/L-L-Surprise-Glitt..._3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536722515&sr=8-3&keywords=LOL+doll

[Image: LOL_doll.jpg]
(09-11-2018, 05:03 PM)gstanford Wrote: Pure performance for Turing won't be particularly good given the price tag.

And beware the performance traps nvidia has laid with things like variable rate shading.  This is flat out cheating just like the AF optimizations of old.

nvidia Wrote:Variable Rate Shading (VRS) optimizes rendering by applying more shading horsepower in detailed areas of the scene and throttling back in scenes with less perceptible detail. This can be used for foveated rendering by reducing the shading rate on the periphery of scenes, where users are less likely to focus, particularly when combined with the emergence of eye-tracking.

This is simply nvidia deciding what is and isn't important to render fully in a scene, just like AF quality optimizations or their infamous 3DMark03 clipping planes.

Or, you will only see performance improvement when something like DLAA is enabled, and the game/drivers need support for that to work (MFAA was a similar performance improving AA scheme for Maxwell and Pascal and went precisely nowhere).

Don't buy into the bullshit.

So you are against optimizing performance? Help

There are concepts/thought processes that bring you tech like the failed APUs, hyperthreading, etc to optimize performance. Lets think about this with something like the Xbox 360. Lets pop in any launch title and then one the near the end of the consoles cycle. Ignoring the gaming trends and lust for "classic" gaming one thing you will notice is that archaic hardware was optimized to hell and a title like the Last of Us on PlayStation played amazing.

I understand your mentality but technology like MFAA, etc is all meant to show you the best scenes at their highest possible resolution without causing a high number of frames to be lost. Does it always work? hell no. Should it cost me 1000? no. There is still some part of me that is excited though.

For instance: "reducing the shading rate on the periphery of scenes, where users are less likely to focus, particularly when combined with the emergence of eye-tracking" is awesome for VR. Some titles are pretty demanding and the more advanced gaming technology gets- the better this type of technology needs to be. Maybe that tree in the background of a tank shootout does not need every leaf to fully rendered during that specific scene. IDK, I am not so pessimistic about improvements as I am about a lack of competition and terrible pricing.

Ray tracing and even a 2x increase in performance is not worth 1000 dollars and the ridiculous price hikes but I can't wait to see the test results and the cards in action.
So we are agreed on optimizations but we each reach completely different conclusions because you don't have a complete picture and are harping on the same old things - instead we have something brand new that has not been fully revealed yet.

VR needs fix foviated rendering because it will use eye tracking. That is how the issue of running with 4K per eye at 90 fps can be solved easily with midrange GPUs - i.e. to only fully render what the eye sees - not the entire screen which is computationally wasteful and makes no visual difference to what the player actually sees.

This takes something entirely new that Pascal struggles with. Also implementations of current AA methods are limited by the architecture - especially with the camera in motion and the inability to implement temporal AA properly so it doesn't blur.
Agree

It's time for something better
Wizard