• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iPhone X
(07-15-2018, 01:26 PM)apoppin Wrote: The latest on Macbook keyboards:

https://ifixit.org/blog/10279/apple-macb...-cover-up/

Quote:Apple is in the middle of several class-action lawsuits for the failure of their keyboards, so of course they can’t just come out and say, “Hey, we fixed it!” That says there was a problem to begin with. But you’ve heard that clever analysis from John Gruber already. I’m just here to posit: the advertised boost in quietude is a side-effect of this rubbery membrane. The quiet angle is, quite literally, a cover up.

Wow, thanks. It turns out the new 2018 Macbook Pro costs the same as the 2017 Macbook. Good luck beating that spec wise with a similarly priced PC. It looks extremely nice to me.
I don't need luck beating the spec for the new 2018 Macbook which is the 2017 Macbook reintroduced with its broken keyboard issues fixed - as a new "feature".

Angel

You can have your dongles and Apple's fake "innovations" that Windows PC have had for years, along with ridiculously hyped "retna" displays coupled with underpowered chips to run them And eventually, they may even fix their broken issues and tout them as "new and exciting" - again.

Apple makes decent if expensive smartphones. Garbage iMacs, average notebooks, and OK tablets. And they are all premium-priced. And absolutely no gamer would have any of that except for an iPhone.

But if you like Apple, it's fine with me. We will just agree to disagree.

You will never - ever - be able to "sell" me on Apple hype. I have watched the company grow up into an ugly corporation that uses slave labor in China until forced by public opinion to change. They are no different than MS.
:doh:
(07-15-2018, 03:12 PM)apoppin Wrote: I don't need luck beating the spec for the new 2018 Macbook which is the 2017 Macbook reintroduced with its broken keyboard issues fixed - as a new "feature".  

Angel

You can have your dongles and Apple's fake "innovations" that Windows PC have had for years, along with ridiculously hyped "retna" displays coupled with underpowered chips to run them  And eventually, they may even fix their broken issues and tout them as "new and exciting" - again.

Apple makes decent if expensive smartphones.  Garbage iMacs, average notebooks, and OK tablets.  And they are all premium-priced.  And absolutely no gamer would have any of that except for an iPhone.  

But if you like Apple, it's fine with me.  We will just agree to disagree.  

You will never - ever - be able to "sell" me on Apple hype.  I have watched the company grow up into an ugly corporation that uses slave labor in China until forced by public opinion to change.  They are no different than MS.
:doh:
Most of the PC hardware we use is built by slave labor, sadly. It is not limited to Apple.

And yes, we can agree to disagree. I don't completely disagree with you by the way. I generally find Apple products overpriced and overhyped with proprietary and expensive everything. But at the high end of the market where most of their products are positioned, they are actually a pretty decent choice a lot of the time.
(07-15-2018, 03:22 PM)SickBeast Wrote: And yes, we can agree to disagree.  I don't completely disagree with you by the way.  I generally find Apple products overpriced and overhyped with proprietary and expensive everything.  But at the high end of the market where most of their products are positioned, they are actually a pretty decent choice a lot of the time.

OK.  And I will agree that Apple's top end (except for their desktop) is competitive - or else they would be out of business.  There is only so much hype can accomplish before even loyal customers are completely turned off.   Apple obviously provides a satisfactory ecosystem with decent security for their target market.  
Thinking

Quote:Most of the PC hardware we use is built by slave labor, sadly. It is not limited to Apple.

I'd like to address this separately. SOME companies care more than others. Kingston for example. Nvidia is another company that believes in paying a fair living wage - even for their janitors that are hired by outside contractors. Apple is a MS clone that sources the cheapest they can get away with. Afterward, they exercise damage control when public opinion goes against them. Nvidia and Kingston are proactive - MS, Intel, and Apple are reactive. There is a big difference.
I just wanted to comment on the OLED display on this phone as I have never used a phone with an OLED screen before. The bottom line is that I think LED screens are more than good enough. The difference is very minimal. The one big advantage I see for OLED are the viewing angles which are absolutely incredible compared to anything I have ever seen on an LED display. Other than that, though, I'm pretty "meh" about it. I guess the blacks look a little nicer but it's not to the extent that I was expecting. I think OLED uses lower power which is useful to extend battery life, which I find to be quite good with the iPhone X. But I really do think the upcoming 6.1" iPhone 9 with its LED screen is going to come very close to this phone for less money. Apparently they had to make the bezels a bit bigger to accommodate the LED technology but it doesn't look like a big deal to me.

The bottom line is I think people should *wait* for the iPhone 9 unless they can get an amazing deal like what happened with me. I think the iPhone 9 is going to be the best release for Apple in a very long time. Good luck getting one. I predict they will be in extremely short supply.

Overall I love this phone and I do think it's worth the high price tag. It's a premium phone with a premium price.

I'm also hearing that the LG V40 is supposed to be the best Android phone of 2018 so watch out for that in October when it is released. I do not recommend LG phones, however.
Apparently it takes 17 hours for screen burn in to occur:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/...est-shows/

That's pretty decent and it makes burn in a non issue for smartphones IMO. I would *never* leave a static image on my iPhone for 17 hours. I don't even see how it's possible. My screen times out after one minute.

If they can make the OLED TVs this resistant to burn in that would be really great.
It sounds like PR to me:

Quote:Korean tech site and phone marketplace Cetizen tested OLED displays
(07-23-2018, 07:05 PM)apoppin Wrote: It sounds like PR to me:

Quote:Korean tech site and phone marketplace Cetizen tested OLED displays

Unfortunately that is the only burn in test I can find. It is linked across a whole ton of legitimate tech sites. I would be surprised if it was fake news as you say. What would be their motivation, even if they sell phones? They surely sell LED based phones also. Are you suggesting they would somehow rather sell OLED based phones instead of LED based ones? Why? I doubt they are making more profit on the OLED based phones.
I am not saying it is fake news .. just be suspicious and don't take it as the final word until sites that don't sell phones (or are in Apple's pocket) test it.

What would you think if BTR sold GeForce cards to make money, and also did reviews?
Thinking
(07-23-2018, 08:27 PM)apoppin Wrote: I am not saying it is fake news .. just be suspicious and don't take it as the final word until sites that don't sell phones (or are in Apple's pocket) test it.

What would you think if BTR sold GeForce cards to make money, and also did reviews?
Thinking

The thing is, they don't exclusively sell one brand. If BTR sold AMD and nVidia graphics cards I would not question your objectivity one bit.