• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's happening at BTR *15*
(08-29-2018, 08:00 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(08-29-2018, 07:53 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Yeah it's a shame they charge that much.  I guess it's part of the cost of rural life, sadly.  I'm sure in other aspects you save money living where you live, so it kind of balances out.  Don't even ask me how much houses cost where I live.  It has become a crisis whereby young families simply cannot afford a home.  We're going to become a city of millionaires.

Good luck with your move!  I hope you can get a good price for your home.

It's part of the costs of serving the god of money - as all corporations do.  But I don't have to like it and I mostly single out ViaSat's crappy service instead of the insane amount of money they charge to dump on.

Houses in my area are very very cheap compared with Palm Springs or with even the next valley.  I don't see ANY advantage to living in a rural area (financially) - not being able to hear your neighbors is priceless - unless you need emergency help - then it is a real disadvantage.  I am thinking of moving because selling prices are high, and my mobility will get more limited - not better, as I age.
Help
Yeah the move makes sense IMO. Just make sure you plan it out money wise. A condo sounds much better for you. Just watch the maintenance fees on those, they can be quite high.
(08-29-2018, 08:10 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Yeah the move makes sense IMO.  Just make sure you plan it out money wise.  A condo sounds much better for you.  Just watch the maintenance fees on those, they can be quite high.

Agree

There are big disadvantages to "cashing out" and selling a house. It's all income counted by the IRS. BUT if you take a good percentage of it and "downsize", you minimize the tax hit.

There are places with small apartments for sale with very low maintenance fees that are locked (for seniors) to inflation. I would look for one of those. However, I will just start preparing to sell my house soon (fixing what is broken, selling the extra things, and making it look "pretty" for a perspective buyer). I don't actually expect to leave until probably a full year from now. I am betting that houses continue to appreciate in my area for at least another year.

This is a "we'll see" and "play it by ear" kind of situation. I don't have pressure to hurry. I want to spent a good part of my time reviewing and building BTR in the meantime.

Which reminds me ... I better get back to work writing my Pro review ... after my nap
Dreaming-mini
(08-29-2018, 08:34 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(08-29-2018, 08:10 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Yeah the move makes sense IMO.  Just make sure you plan it out money wise.  A condo sounds much better for you.  Just watch the maintenance fees on those, they can be quite high.

Agree

There are big disadvantages to "cashing out" and selling a house.  It's all income counted by the IRS.  BUT if you take a good percentage of it and "downsize", you minimize the tax hit.

There are places with small apartments for sale with very low maintenance fees that are locked (for seniors) to inflation.  I would look for one of those.  However, I will just start preparing to sell my house soon (fixing what is broken, selling the extra things, and making it look "pretty" for a perspective buyer).  I don't actually expect to leave until probably a full year from now.  I am betting that houses continue to appreciate in my area for at least another year.

This is a "we'll see" and "play it by ear" kind of situation.  I don't have pressure to hurry.  I want to spent a good part of my time reviewing and building BTR in the meantime.

Which reminds me ... I better get back to work writing my Pro review ... after my nap
Dreaming-mini

What!? They make you pay income tax on selling your house in the USA? What kind of madness is that? Here in Canada we pay capital gains tax only on the portion of the value that increased, and that only applies if you have not lived in the house for at least five years. It is a tax on the "flippers" basically. And with capital gains tax you only pay tax on half of the "gain".

That is a brutal tax. I'm sorry you're having to deal with that. That's basically a tax on retired people. Brutal. Is that a California thing or a USA thing?
A USA tax thing. Yes, it's bad but I will have to deal with it. And the logical thing is for me to buy a small apartment so I take a much smaller tax hit. This is probably where I consult a tax professional for an hour or so, to answer my questions and to find the "sweet spot" for my finances.

Nap time!

Good3
Enjoy!

If you notice an increase in the traffic it's because I linked to BTR today:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/canada-co...#p29756909

I'm not sure how much impact it will have. But the deal is well received and popular right now.
(08-29-2018, 09:50 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Enjoy!

If you notice an increase in the traffic it's because I linked to BTR today:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/canada-co...#p29756909

I'm not sure how much impact it will have.  But the deal is well received and popular right now.

Whether its impact is large or small - thank-you!
You’re welcome.

You’re actually the only person I know of that kinda-sorta reviewed the Micron 1100 drive. Your benchmarks are super useful.
(08-29-2018, 11:29 PM)SickBeast Wrote: You’re welcome.

You’re actually the only person I know of that kinda-sorta reviewed the Micron 1100 drive.  Your benchmarks are super useful.

It's one of those reviews that were hard for me to write ... and it also didn't get a lot of views. But I am glad to have done it!
(08-29-2018, 11:35 PM)apoppin Wrote:

You’re actually the only person I know of that kinda-sorta reviewed the Micron 1100 drive.  Your benchmarks are super useful.

It's one of those reviews that were hard for me to write ... and it also didn't get a lot of views.  But I am glad to have done it!

It turned out great. I think you could have easily made a quick review of the Micron 1100 drive with the data from that article, and it would have been popular. There have been so many sales on the drive and literally no reviews out there. Anyhow, we'll see, my hot deal forum is one of the most popular websites in Canada. It could bring you some traction traffic wise.
(08-29-2018, 11:44 PM)SickBeast Wrote:
(08-29-2018, 11:35 PM)apoppin Wrote:

It's one of those reviews that were hard for me to write ... and it also didn't get a lot of views.  But I am glad to have done it!

It turned out great.  I think you could have easily made a quick review of the Micron 1100 drive with the data from that article, and it would have been popular.  There have been so many sales on the drive and literally no reviews out there.  Anyhow, we'll see, my hot deal forum is one of the most popular websites in Canada.  It could bring you some traction traffic wise.

All traffic (except for attacks, bots, and crawlers) are welcomed! Thank-you again.

My view is if one is going to review something, do as good job a job as you can. It was a challenge for me but it is a reference review now.

And BTR is now averaging over 71,000 Unique Visitors each month - traffic is way up since I went to Hawaii - in 30 days, the traffic has grown from 50,000 at its bottom.