• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's happening at BTR *15*
It sounds like it will make a nice and easy benchmark for you. Perhaps not demanding enough. But I'm sure a lot of games in your current suite are becoming a cakewalk for the newer cards. We are going to need a new generation of games to really push the Turing hardware. Turing really is a next-gen release. We are getting a huge upgrade in visuals with RTX running. It could be 4-5 years before we see "normal" priced cards that can run all games with RTX on at 4k 60fps. I'm looking forward to testing 4k resolution with RTX off versus 1080p with RTX on. I wonder which looks better. IMO this should be a big focus of your Turing review in terms of the editorial portion. Maybe include some gameplay videos.
(08-29-2018, 04:21 PM)SickBeast Wrote: It sounds like it will make a nice and easy benchmark for you.  Perhaps not demanding enough.  But I'm sure a lot of games in your current suite are becoming a cakewalk for the newer cards.  We are going to need a new generation of games to really push the Turing hardware.  Turing really is a next-gen release.  We are getting a huge upgrade in visuals with RTX running.  It could be 4-5 years before we see "normal" priced cards that can run all games with RTX on at 4k 60fps.  I'm looking forward to testing 4k resolution with RTX off versus 1080p with RTX on.  I wonder which looks better.  IMO this should be a big focus of your Turing review in terms of the editorial portion.  Maybe include some gameplay videos.

F1 2018 is a decent replacement for DiRT 4 - they both look nice and I have found a demanding benchmark (Australia/rainy/Ultra + ASSAO/near chase view).

As usual for any review, performance is number one for me. I don't know what to expect, but will do my best to explore ... and as usual, the best reviews are rarely the launch reviews - rather the real gems are found in the follow ups.
What Ars said in essense about the game is that the graphical improvement from F1 2017 is only slight (but is there), but the real improvement comes from the overall sim experience

Quote:It actually reminded me of the steering feel I experienced in a professional racing simulator recently, which will be welcome news to David Greco, F1 2018's senior car handling designer. Like me, Greco says he got tired of gamers conflating difficulty with accurate simulation. "This year, the way the car feels, with the force feedback, and how it all works together, we are very close to what I want from a simulator," he said in the game's press release.
Unfortunately, I am not actually looking to play F1 2018 other than to benchmark it.  Very few racing games interest me with Project CARS 2 being an exception.  I kinda liked DiRT 4 (and Rally before it, except it was too hard) but I rarely enjoy the racing games.  NO amount of simulation matches the thrill of actually racing a real car against other good racers (period!).  That is why I don't bother with force feedback, and although I think VR is good for fun and perhaps training, it's going to be after my lifetime before the racing experience is *duplicated*.
Crazy_pilot

At any rate, I am working on my Vive Pro Intro, and preparing my system for benching.  I have to cut down my benchmarks because time never stands still - especially if there is any kind of deadline.  It's a good thing that I was gone for 3 weeks.  My priority data is just sufficient to update all of my games (32 pancake PC games and 25 VR games are available to benchmark) - heck, the patch for Destiny 2 is 38GB!  I will need another 2 TB SSD at this rate; 2.5 TB of SSD capacity is cutting it close for me.

If anyone thinks Nvidia was "in a panic" to introduce RT because of some kind of fear of Intel or AMD competing, it doesn't work that way. There is a roadmap YEARS in advance, and Turning was not just slapped together out of spare Pascal and Volta parts in a few months. Nvidia planned for RT for years. I watched RT evolve at GTC and at SIGGRAPH - first working in real time on a mainframe, then on multiple DGX workstations and finally on a single DGX, then on a Titan V!! ... and soon on gaming cards. Tensor cores are not an "after thought" for "failed" gaming architecture.

http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/siggrap...acing.html
Nice post.

And thanks for that re: Destiny 2. I'm downloading the patch now. That would not be fun wanting to play the game only to have to wait for it to download. And yes that takes time even on a gigabit connection. Mind you the download is up to 70MB/sec now, pretty good. My R8500 router continues to be *stable* also which I am quite happy about. It's a wifi beast!
(08-29-2018, 07:16 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Nice post.

And thanks for that re: Destiny 2.  I'm downloading the patch now.  That would not be fun wanting to play the game only to have to wait for it to download.  And yes that takes time even on a gigabit connection.  Mind you the download is up to 70MB/sec now, pretty good.  My R8500 router continues to be *stable* also which I am quite happy about.  It's a wifi beast!

Thanks. I get to experience a lot more evolving architecture because I regularly attend the GTC and also SIGGRAPH. All of the major companies plan their roadmap years in advance, and RT was long due. And I don't think I will admit anything about street racing in my younger days other than to say I have real experience with auto racing. In fact, my auto mechanic used to be on a pro racing team as their lead mechanic. So I hung around racing for much of my youth. Surfing was healthier for me, and as a difference compared with racing, I actually got to surf and hang out with the top professionals and the very best surfers in the world.

I am D/L'ing at 5.59 MB/s. If I sell my house and move, I won't miss paying $110 a month for ViaSat garbage Internet but can probably do better anywhere with cable and $30 a month.
(08-29-2018, 07:23 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(08-29-2018, 07:16 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Nice post.

And thanks for that re: Destiny 2.  I'm downloading the patch now.  That would not be fun wanting to play the game only to have to wait for it to download.  And yes that takes time even on a gigabit connection.  Mind you the download is up to 70MB/sec now, pretty good.  My R8500 router continues to be *stable* also which I am quite happy about.  It's a wifi beast!

Thanks.  I get to experience a lot more evolving architecture because I regularly attend the GTC and also SIGGRAPH.  All of the major companies plan their roadmap years in advance, and RT was long due.  And I don't think I will admit anything about street racing in my younger days other than to say I have real experience with auto racing.  In fact, my auto mechanic used to be on a pro racing team as their lead mechanic.  So I hung around racing for much of my youth.  Surfing was healthier for me, and as a difference compared with racing, I actually got to surf and hang out with the top professionals and the very best surfers in the world.

I am D/L'ing at 5.59 MB/s.  If I sell my house and move, I won't miss paying $110 a month for ViaSat garbage Internet but can probably do better anywhere with cable and $30 a month.
Wow, $110USD/month. They are taking you to the cleaners. Brutal. I pay about $110CAD but that includes Rogers' top cable TV package with *all* the channels, including 4k service, a PVR rental, and gigabit internet service. That works out to $85USD/month. People are getting deals here on 500mbps internet service for only $25CAD/month. I'm not sure if the US cable operators are this advanced. I'm on DOCSIS 3.1 AFAIK. I've got to say it's impressive to see them competing with fiber optics with good old coaxial cable. I just wish the upload speed was faster. Bell offers gigabit upload speeds over fiber.

How soon are you thinking about moving?

Young guys and fast cars are a bad combination. I was a young guy with a fast car at one point also.
(08-29-2018, 07:36 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Wow, $110USD/month.  They are taking you to the cleaners.  Brutal.  I pay about $110CAD but that includes Rogers' top cable TV package with *all* the channels, including 4k service, a PVR rental, and gigabit internet service.  That works out to $85USD/month.  People are getting deals here on 500mbps internet service for only $25CAD/month.  I'm not sure if the US cable operators are this advanced.  I'm on DOCSIS 3.1 AFAIK.  I've got to say it's impressive to see them competing with fiber optics with good old coaxial cable.  I just wish the upload speed was faster.  Bell offers gigabit upload speeds over fiber.

Young guys and fast cars are a bad combination.  I was a young guy with a fast car at one point also.

Perhaps you understand why I hate ViaSat. Greg talks about sh!tty companies - they are near the top of my list - crap value for high prices because there is no competition yet in their niche market. I hope that they go out of business when the fleet of near-earth satellites launch. Screw them and their ancient technology.

I have to sell my house first. It is a major project. I have just begun to entertain the idea. Probably within a year.

I was a young guy with a very fast car - but then I was a very good driver even back then, and I could keep up with the best using my driving skills - without having that insane self-destructive death wish that some street racers seem to have.
(08-29-2018, 07:41 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(08-29-2018, 07:36 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Wow, $110USD/month.  They are taking you to the cleaners.  Brutal.  I pay about $110CAD but that includes Rogers' top cable TV package with *all* the channels, including 4k service, a PVR rental, and gigabit internet service.  That works out to $85USD/month.  People are getting deals here on 500mbps internet service for only $25CAD/month.  I'm not sure if the US cable operators are this advanced.  I'm on DOCSIS 3.1 AFAIK.  I've got to say it's impressive to see them competing with fiber optics with good old coaxial cable.  I just wish the upload speed was faster.  Bell offers gigabit upload speeds over fiber.

Young guys and fast cars are a bad combination.  I was a young guy with a fast car at one point also.

Perhaps you understand why I hate ViaSat.  Greg talks about sh!tty companies - they are near the top of my list - crap value for high prices because there is no competition yet in their niche market.  I hope that they go out of business when the fleet of near-earth satellites launch.  Screw them and their ancient technology.

I have to sell my house first.  It is a major project.  I have just begun to entertain the idea.  Probably within a year.

I was a young guy with a very fast car - but then I was a very good driver even back then, and I could keep up with the best using my driving skills - without having that insane self-destructive death wish that some street racers seem to have.

Yeah it's a shame they charge that much. I guess it's part of the cost of rural life, sadly. I'm sure in other aspects you save money living where you live, so it kind of balances out. Don't even ask me how much houses cost where I live. It has become a crisis whereby young families simply cannot afford a home. We're going to become a city of millionaires.

Good luck with your move! I hope you can get a good price for your home.
(08-29-2018, 07:53 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Yeah it's a shame they charge that much.  I guess it's part of the cost of rural life, sadly.  I'm sure in other aspects you save money living where you live, so it kind of balances out.  Don't even ask me how much houses cost where I live.  It has become a crisis whereby young families simply cannot afford a home.  We're going to become a city of millionaires.

Good luck with your move!  I hope you can get a good price for your home.

It's part of the costs of serving the god of money - as all corporations do. But I don't have to like it and I mostly single out ViaSat's crappy service instead of the insane amount of money they charge to dump on.

Houses in my area are very very cheap compared with Palm Springs or with even the next valley. I don't see ANY advantage to living in a rural area (financially) - not being able to hear your neighbors is priceless - unless you need emergency help - then it is a real disadvantage. I am thinking of moving because selling prices are high, and my mobility will get more limited - not better, as I age.
Help