• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Essential Phone
So I finally got my Essential Phone yesterday after having to return and re-buy it after my mobile provider refused to give me price protection. Good luck to them selling the open box return. Anyhow, I do really like the phone, more than my G6 even. I paid $240CAD for it. It really feels like a much more expensive device. It's made of titanium and it's so durable that I'm using it without a case. I also got the 360 degree camera for it and it's really cool. I'm going to bring it with me when I travel and to special occasions. I have a feeling the videos it shoots would work in a VR headset which I'm sure would be interesting to try out.

Because of the way this deal worked I probably won't be able to buy another phone for one year now. They are giving me a $10 bill credit each month for one year. If I try to pay it off early to get another phone I think I will lose that $10 promo. So my phone addiction is on hold. Angel
It's only 12 months and you have an amazing phone to play with in the meantime.
Yup. I should be fine. However I will miss out on the black Friday and boxing day deals. We'll see. I'm trying to get my wife a second line with this provider so that might solve it if it goes through.
So I managed to drop this phone last weekend from about 3 feet onto concrete with no case or screen protector on the phone. No damage. I'm impressed. It's really nice being able to use a sleek phone like this without a case. I really like it so far, even more than the G6. I do miss the dual camera setup on the G6 but I like pretty much everything else better on the Essential Phone.

It seems like they have engineered this phone to survive drop damage. It has a thin rubber bead around the perimeter beneath the screen that seems to absorb impacts. Below that it's made of titanium and the back is ceramic. It's extremely durable.
(03-30-2018, 03:14 PM)SickBeast Wrote: So I managed to drop this phone last weekend from about 3 feet onto concrete with no case or screen protector on the phone.  No damage.  I'm impressed.  It's really nice being able to use a sleek phone like this without a case.  I really like it so far, even more than the G6.  I do miss the dual camera setup on the G6 but I like pretty much everything else better on the Essential Phone.

It seems like they have engineered this phone to survive drop damage.  It has a thin rubber bead around the perimeter beneath the screen that seems to absorb impacts.  Below that it's made of titanium and the back is ceramic.  It's extremely durable.

There are a couple of my tech editor friends who have this phone and they love it.
(03-30-2018, 03:40 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(03-30-2018, 03:14 PM)SickBeast Wrote: So I managed to drop this phone last weekend from about 3 feet onto concrete with no case or screen protector on the phone.  No damage.  I'm impressed.  It's really nice being able to use a sleek phone like this without a case.  I really like it so far, even more than the G6.  I do miss the dual camera setup on the G6 but I like pretty much everything else better on the Essential Phone.

It seems like they have engineered this phone to survive drop damage.  It has a thin rubber bead around the perimeter beneath the screen that seems to absorb impacts.  Below that it's made of titanium and the back is ceramic.  It's extremely durable.

There are a couple of my tech editor friends who have this phone and they love it.

Yeah it's really great. I got lucky in that the phone got terrible reviews when it launched and it basically flopped. They are selling them here on a fire sale for only $240CAD. These are the types of phone I buy. They are a tremendous value. The Android 8.1 update fixed all the issues with the phone and with the hacked Google camera app, the camera on the phone is comparable to my G6.
That is what I have been hearing. It's a very nice looking, practical, and (evidently) very durable phone.

Independent tech editors are generally thrifty and look for great bang-for-buck for themselves (also)
Thinking
(03-30-2018, 04:05 PM)apoppin Wrote: That is what I have been hearing.  It's a very nice looking, practical, and (evidently) very durable phone.  

Independent tech editors are generally thrifty and look for great bang-for-buck for themselves (also)
Thinking

It's a good quality for a reviewer to have. Most consumers are interested in bang-for-buck also.