• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Coffee Lake 8700K build
I don't know anything about Plex servers, however congrats on getting yours up and that Dell notebook working again.

Agreed on helpful videos and sites!
(11-13-2018, 01:37 AM)apoppin Wrote: I don't know anything about Plex servers, however congrats on getting yours up and that Dell notebook working again.

Agreed on helpful videos and sites!
Plex is a super simple server to host any media you may have. I really like the way it displays and organizes my photos. I'm a bit of a photography buff in my own way. There is a one time fee to buy the Plex app but it's reasonable and well worth it IMO. The Plex pass seems absurd at $150 but it looks interesting to me.
I just learned about it
Quote:Install and run the Plex Media Server on a computer (or compatible NAS device) where all your media is stored and managed in movie, TV show, home video, music, and photo libraries. ... Wherever you are, press play, sit back, and enjoy your media as it streams from the Plex Media Server to your device.

Not bad. However a Plex Pass costs $119 for a lifetime in the USA
https://www.plex.tv/plex-pass/
So the only hassle with getting things going with the laptop was the ethernet port. The network kept disconnecting every time I touched the cable. The port is loose on the laptop. To fix it I cut a thin strip of paper, folded it a few times, and used it as a shim/wedge. Now the cable is snug and it's all working. I thought it was a driver problem for a minute. I'm going to come up with a more permanent fix involving a credit card and some crazy glue when I have more time. But for the time being so long as I don't unplug the ethernet cable I should be fine. The i7-2720QM CPU is pretty zippy on it. Only 1/3 of the performance of my 8700K at stock speed though. With my system overclocked the way it is, it's probably 4-5 times as powerful as the laptop. That's pretty impressive IMO. The power consumption is the big advantage of the laptop.
(11-13-2018, 11:57 PM)SickBeast Wrote: So the only hassle with getting things going with the laptop was the ethernet port.  The network kept disconnecting every time I touched the cable.  The port is loose on the laptop.  To fix it I cut a thin strip of paper, folded it a few times, and used it as a shim/wedge.  Now the cable is snug and it's all working.  I thought it was a driver problem for a minute.  I'm going to come up with a more permanent fix involving a credit card and some crazy glue when I have more time.

A credit card as a permanent fix always worked for me

Crazy_pilot

Laugh1

Seriously, Congrats!
Thanks. I was actually considering ordering a replacement ethernet port for the laptop off Ebay. It is modular for this machine. But upon close inspection the port looked fine to me. No bent pins. It looks like Dell just built the port itself too big. Replacing the port is a big job and it would have involved completely dismantling the machine and taking out the motherboard.

I've been doing this long enough to know that sometimes simple and creative solutions are better. This will work just fine for me. This machine is *old* and I can't expect it to be in new condition. At least it works. I'm thinking about getting my laptop cooling pad out of the garage to keep it running under the laptop 24/7. Then I would never hear the fan spin up probably.
I was kidding about a credit card as being a "permanent fix"
Blush
(11-14-2018, 12:17 AM)apoppin Wrote: I was kidding about a credit card as being a "permanent fix"
Blush

I use mine for everything. I'm racking up the points. My current card gives me 1.75% cash back on all purchases. No annual fee. No forex fee. I really like it. My CC is a "permanent fix" for me. I no longer carry cash. Dance3