• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samsung Electronics to slash OLED prod. due to lower iPhone X demand
(03-02-2018, 02:15 AM)SickBeast Wrote:
(03-02-2018, 02:07 AM)apoppin Wrote: It looks to me like smartphones are less interesting than before.  The changes are more incremental than previously.

Thinking
Kind of.  The thing is they are improving *everything* with each new model, so you're essentially getting a bunch of small upgrades all rolled into one.  Also, smartphone processor development hasn't really slowed down much, particularly when it comes to Apple.  The CPUs are getting a lot better.  The big thing that improved with the LG phones over time is the industrial design and the build quality.  The G6 is stunning.

All of that being said, I'm a bit of a phone enthusiast.  Most people would be perfectly fine to go 3+ years between upgrades.  I use mine a lot so it's a cheap hobby for me in a way, not unlike PC gaming.

Do you think Apple is justified in charging $1000 for their flagship phone? Is it that much better than the older version?

I don't use data at all on my phone and I rarely text. But I am looking for a 13" or smaller notebook for when I travel.
Thinking

My Shield tablet died and no longer turns on. It's been about 3 years and I will miss it. I guess I could even take a small notebook with me to my doctor appointments.
Thinking

How about this one for $279?

https://us.refurb.io/collections/laptops...ows-10-pro

Condition: A
Model #: HP Elitebook 820 G1
Type: Laptop
CPU: Intel Core i5 4300u 1.9GHz
Memory: 8GB Ram
Hard Drive: 180GB SSD
Hard Drive Type: Solid State Drive
Graphics Card: Intel Integrated
O/S: WINDOWS 10 PROFESSIONAL
Optical: N/A
Keyboard and mouse: No
Screen: N/A
WiFi: Yes
(03-02-2018, 02:24 AM)apoppin Wrote:
(03-02-2018, 02:15 AM)SickBeast Wrote:
(03-02-2018, 02:07 AM)apoppin Wrote: It looks to me like smartphones are less interesting than before.  The changes are more incremental than previously.

Thinking
Kind of.  The thing is they are improving *everything* with each new model, so you're essentially getting a bunch of small upgrades all rolled into one.  Also, smartphone processor development hasn't really slowed down much, particularly when it comes to Apple.  The CPUs are getting a lot better.  The big thing that improved with the LG phones over time is the industrial design and the build quality.  The G6 is stunning.

All of that being said, I'm a bit of a phone enthusiast.  Most people would be perfectly fine to go 3+ years between upgrades.  I use mine a lot so it's a cheap hobby for me in a way, not unlike PC gaming.

Do you think Apple is justified in charging $1000 for their flagship phone?  Is it that much better than the older version?

I don't use data at all on my phone and I rarely text.  But I am looking for a 13" or smaller notebook for when I travel.
Thinking

My Shield tablet died and no longer turns on.  It's been about 3 years and I will miss it.  I guess I could even take a small notebook with me to my doctor appointments.
Thinking
The $1,000 iPhone X is no different from the $3,000 Titan V. For $1,000 Apple will let you have a phone from the future, today. Same thing with the Titan V, it's a GPU from the future for $3,000 if you're willing to pay for it.

While the iPhone X certainly isn't worth $1,000, there are people out there with a lot more money than me who won't blink an eyelash when buying one.

That's too bad about the Shield. I wonder what died on it. Maybe the battery. I'll bet there is a way to revive it.

Still no notebook deals eh? I know here in Canada Dell refurbished regularly has 50% off sales. I'm sure you could find something nice through them.
How about this one for $279?

It is exactly what I am looking for ... a powerful ultralight - it's 13x7 on a 12.6" screen and it will handle business tasks and even some light image editing.

It got reviewed here:
https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-elitebo...ssd/specs/
(03-02-2018, 02:32 AM)apoppin Wrote: How about this one for $279?

Not bad. You have a better idea about what you're looking for. But that certainly looks decent for the price.
No ... it is *exactly* what I want ... for $279 shipped.

It weighs about 3 pounds and it would be perfect for me for travel. It also has a m.2 slot and I could add an existing 128GB m2 SSD I have.

So I ordered it. Now I don't have to be distracted by thinking about what I need for the GTC.
Good for you. :)

Just so you have the *latest* rumors, apparently nVidia will *not* unveil Volta/Ampere/Turing at the GTC. So you were right all along. Interestingly TPU posted both rumors which contradict each other. It's hard to believe what they say any more.
(03-02-2018, 03:03 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Good for you. :)

Just so you have the *latest* rumors, apparently nVidia will *not* unveil Volta/Ampere/Turing at the GTC.  So you were right all along.  Interestingly TPU posted both rumors which contradict each other.  It's hard to believe what they say any more.

It's small and light and originally it cost a fortune. A 1.6-2.2 GHz Haswell is a decent CPU for an ultralight, and 8 GB of RAM and a 128 GB SSD are a great combo for on the go. What made me buy it is that is is "Grade A" ... and that is rare for under $300 ... I don't need to keep looking although it would have been nice to get a better LCD. Refurb IO is a decent place to get a notebook from and there is a 1-year warranty.

Just expect a few tidbits at the GTC; no launch .. I am pretty sure about this.

. . . Maybe I can ask at the press conference - "Where the heck is the new GeForce?"

:D
Maybe. :)

I will catch you tomorrow, I'm really tired here. Have a good night.
(03-02-2018, 03:22 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Maybe. :)

I will catch you tomorrow, I'm really tired here.  Have a good night.
Thank-you. Good night. I will probably get to bed early also. But then, it's only 7:25 PM here now.
(03-02-2018, 01:07 AM)SickBeast Wrote: As it turns out that leak is actually in fact the G7.  I'm not sure I like it.  I don't like the notch and I don't like the bottom bezel.  If they were going to copy the iPhone X they could at least get it right.  The iPhone X does not have a bottom bezel.

More details on the LG flagship
https://venturebeat.com/2018/03/01/lg-sh...rs-at-mwc/