• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devastating Intel CPU Bug
(08-12-2018, 08:47 PM)SickBeast Wrote: It seems soon, but the Tegra lineup is ripe for a very major revision.  I could see nVidia releasing something as powerful as the PS4 in the very near future.  And if that happens, yes, Nintendo could very well release a new Switch.

I was shocked at how fast the hackers broke into the new revised Switches.
That's why I keep mentioning it. Aside from their automobile SOC, Tegra is due for an overhaul and an upgrade.

I think we will see a new Switch next year. It makes sense for Nintendo to upgrade - just for security alone. And I am pretty sure that Nvidia will focus on security. All they could do is "patch" the Switch ... its fundamental flaws were not really addressed.
The hackers also found a hidden VR mode in the Switch. So Nintendo has at least toyed with and explored the idea.
(08-12-2018, 09:11 PM)SickBeast Wrote: The hackers also found a hidden VR mode in the Switch.  So Nintendo has at least toyed with and explored the idea.

I believe that was public knowledge that Nintendo was thinking about VR, but the Switch just doesn't have powerful enough HW.  Next gen, probably.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/41626...discovered
Quote: this function is more than likely a leftover from the Android graphics APIs Nintendo adapted for the Switch’s graphics rendering. The system runs on an NVIDIA Tegra X1 SoC, which also powers the NVIDIA Shield Android TV and Google Pixel C, both of which run variations of Android as well.

Unless Nintendo was thinking of going with a higher-res screen for the Switch initially, I doubt any notion of using it for a VR headset crossed their mind. Even the PSVR’s 1080p display is at the lower end of what’s comfortable for VR. The handheld screen also tops out at 60 fps so Nintendo would be very limited on how much movement was on any VR game made for the system lest people get motion sickness.

I doubt the homebrewers are looking to pull the wool over anyone’s eyes. However, there are just too many factors pointing to the inclusion of the VR variable being an oversight. It’s entirely possible I could be wrong, but I’m betting the mode is just some leftover code from the Android graphics APIs Nintendo used for rendering on the Switch.
I wonder when nVidia is releasing the new Tegra. I know Telsa is on the verge of releasing full autonomous mode for their cars which requires upgraded hardware. However I think I read they made their own CPU. It's not using nVidia.

*edit* Ah yes, Jim Keller has joined Tesla and he is the lead architect of their own chip, in house.

https://electrek.co/2018/08/01/tesla-chi...-3-update/

That's a bit of a blow to nVidia.
(08-13-2018, 01:04 AM)SickBeast Wrote: I wonder when nVidia is releasing the new Tegra.  I know Telsa is on the verge of releasing full autonomous mode for their cars which requires upgraded hardware.  However I think I read they made their own CPU.  It's not using nVidia.

*edit* Ah yes, Jim Keller has joined Tesla and he is the lead architect of their own chip, in house.

EDITED: That is old news or misread perhaps. Keller joined Intel in late-April and has moved on from Tesla after only 2 years. They already have their chip but he was the lead designer for 2 years. Musk is making a lot of ridiculous claims that it is 10x faster than Nvidia's SOC. To boost his stock, just like he drove it up by saying he was "interested" in going private again.

Yes, 10x on one specific application on last gen Nvidia hardware. It's isn't hard to follow the musk scent even though the guy is a crazy genius
(08-13-2018, 01:13 AM)apoppin Wrote:
(08-13-2018, 01:04 AM)SickBeast Wrote: I wonder when nVidia is releasing the new Tegra.  I know Telsa is on the verge of releasing full autonomous mode for their cars which requires upgraded hardware.  However I think I read they made their own CPU.  It's not using nVidia.

EDITED:  That is old news or misread perhaps.  Keller joined Intel in late-April and has moved on from Tesla after only 2 years.  They already have their chip but he was the lead designer for 2 years.  Musk is making a lot of ridiculous claims that it is 10x faster than Nvidia's SOC.  To boost his stock, just like he drove it up by saying he was "interested" in going private again.

Yes, 10x on one specific application on last gen Nvidia hardware.  It's isn't hard to follow the musk scent even though the guy is a crazy genius

Musk seems pretty impulsive over Twitter. I was shocked when he made that "pedo" tweet about the cave rescuer in Thailand. I lost a lot of respect for him then.

I'm sure if Jim Keller had anything to do with the Tesla CPU design, it is quite good. And if Tesla can say it allows full autonomous driving, that is quite the accomplishment.

I would expect the upcoming Tegra chips from nVidia can do the same thing. The other car manufacturers will need this technology so that's a big market for nVidia. And having a powerful CPU is quite useful for other things also.
No ... it doesn't allow for SAFE full autonomous driving. It's got a long long long ... very long way to go.

Musk may be a genius but he exaggerates like the very worst of the top CEOs. And he is a little nuts also.
Aggressive
I have a feeling that the software side has a much longer way to go compared to the hardware side. I mean, if they really wanted to, they could put desktop class hardware in there.
AI is all about SW and deep learning ... on decent HW .
Three more flaws for the Intel chips, AMD unaffected:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cyber...SKBN1KZ280

This is getting really bad. I'll bet there will be a performance hit for the patches.

More details here:

https://www.wired.com/story/foreshadow-i...erability/

It sounds *really* bad.