• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Donald Trump
We have a senate also. In a sense we have two senates because the queen acts as an additional fail safe.

How did Trump snooker them?

I was wondering about this actually. Why did the senate remain Republican but the house went to the Democrats? Shouldn't they have both trended in the same direction?
(11-08-2018, 03:07 AM)SickBeast Wrote: We have a senate also.  In a sense we have two senates because the queen acts as an additional fail safe.

How did Trump snooker them?

I was wondering about this actually.  Why did the senate remain Republican but the house went to the Democrats?  Shouldn't they have both trended in the same direction?

Trump got his base riled up so much so that the Republican Senators who were not inclined to support him would be (and in fact got) voted out of office.

No. The House is a more diverse group - with a ton of seats up for re-election -and the way the country is divided, it is more suburban (who hates Trump) while the Senate (who had relatively few races to decide) has support from the rural communities (who love Trump).

But the big deal is the governor's races which went very much Democratic. In the next year, there will be a lot of redistricting which will make the 2020 election much harder for the Republicans to win.
You guys may remember I asked if this was the beginning of the end of the Trump presidency. It appears it may well be:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-whit...-1.4899032

Also this:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/09/politics/...index.html

Donald Trump Jr. has apparently been telling people he is fearing he will be arrested soon.

Interesting times south of here. Good luck to you all.
It's fake news. Seriously. The first one is what the Democrats - Trump's political adversaries *allege*. It will go to the Supreme Court where Trump's hand-picked judge will swing the bench in his favor. It's nothing.

Secondly, the Mueller investigation may well get shut down before anything happens. The Democrats won't be in power until January.

Nothing is happening to end the Trump presidency. Until 2020 .. and then, it depends.

Agreed it's interesting times for the entire world ... and thank-you for wishing us luck. Good luck to Canadian residents also!

In local news two massive wildfires in SoCal have prompted the entire city of Malibu to evacuate along with parts of two or 3 adjoining big communities as the winds whip the massive flames with zero containment. It started right near where the mass killings took place. And in Northern California, the entire city of Paradise - 30,000 residents had to flee the flames ... it's paradise no longer.

There is 24/7 coverage on all the local stations. It's so stressful I am going to take a nap.
(11-09-2018, 10:25 PM)apoppin Wrote: It's fake news.  Seriously.  The first one is what the Democrats - Trump's political adversaries *allege*.  It will go to the Supreme Court where Trump's hand-picked judge will swing the bench in his favor.  It's nothing.

Secondly, the Mueller investigation may well get shut down before anything happens.  The Democrats won't be in power until January.

Nothing is happening to end the Trump presidency.  Until 2020 .. and then, it depends.

Agreed it's interesting times for the entire world ... and thank-you for wishing us luck.  Good luck to Canadian residents also!

In local news two massive wildfires in SoCal have prompted the entire city of Malibu to evacuate along with parts of two or 3 adjoining big communities as the winds whip the massive flames with zero containment.  It started right near where the mass killings took place.  And in Northern California, the entire city of Paradise - 30,000 residents had to flee the flames ... it's paradise no longer.

There is 24/7 coverage on all the local stations.  It's so stressful I am going to take a nap.
It's horrible. I heard yesterday how fast it was spreading and I was quite concerned. Best wishes. I hope they are able to contain it.
(11-09-2018, 10:27 PM)SickBeast Wrote: It's horrible.  I heard yesterday how fast it was spreading and I was quite concerned.  Best wishes.  I hope they are able to contain it.

Yes it is depressing and I can feel for the people whose homes are threatened. I was in the same situation a decade ago with our own "Paradise" fire where the flames got to the top of my ridge (1/4 mile away) before the winds shifted.

The winds are *intense* across all of California and the humidity is around 5% ... can you imagine 5% humidity? And 50 mph gusts at the same time?

The winds are forecast to break a little on Saturday and then return on Sunday for an encore.
It looks like Trump wants to threaten to shut down the US federal government as leverage to try and get $5 billion in funding for his wall:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolit...li=AAggNb9
He is a moron. I won't post what I really think of him.
We are having similar issues with illegal immigrants. And Trudeau is paying for hotel rooms for the Syrian refugees while our homeless population suffers. I can understand hotel rooms in the winter if they are stuck, but we have so much vacant land here. What's wrong with tents in the warmer months? That might sound harsh but we are giving these people a safe place to live and a new lease on life. IMO it would be much wiser to spend that hotel money on supports for these people to get them jobs and get them settled.

We are having thousands and thousands of undocumented migrants crossing our border illegally into Quebec and then claiming asylum. And now one of them is suing the federal government because he committed crimes here, got deported, and wound up being placed in solitary confinement because he became violent. Things like this honestly make me really question who we have running the show, and why. It's clear that they are not spending their own money. If they were, **** like this would never happen.

Here in Canada we have never had to deal with this issue before. Immigrants have tended to choose the USA over Canada for a variety of reasons. Our southern border has been secure because you guys are overall more prosperous with nicer weather. Our other borders are three enormous and relatively unpassable oceans. Here in Canada we screen our immigrants incredibly well. They are typically wealthy and highly educated. They really help create a super vibrant and super productive society here. It's a really cool vibe and it's fun to be a part of it. I just hope our governments can come up with some kind of creative solution here.
I have no suggestions and no idea what to do for your country. But I do know that Trump is the wrong president for the USA. And building a wall is just stupid and a waste of money. Just like the 6,000 troops on the US border that costs taxpayers 1/4 of a billion dollars - for nothing but show and insane politics.