• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elon Musk smokes pot as Tesla shares plunge
(10-05-2018, 06:30 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Musk seems overwhelmed and he also seems to have a substance abuse problem.  This all seemed to have started when he began seeing Amber Heard.  And I don't think he dealt with the breakup well.  He appears to have done quite well in business, but his personal life quite well could be a complete mess.  I hope he is able to come out of this successfully.  I do personally feel that his Tesla and SpaceX companies are important catalysts in terms of advancing certain technologies that are beneficial to all of us in terms of our long term survival on earth (and elsewhere).

I didn't know he was even dating the actress. A nerd in love who got dumped, evidently. His tweets border on insane recently. There IS a fine line between madness and genius and it looks like he crossed the line several times. He well-deserved the $40M fines for his stupidity with Tesla stock manipulation when he lied about taking it private.

I wouldn't call misleading and then screwing his investors, losing big money on fines, losing his Tesla chairmanship, and dropping Tesla stock by double digits any "proof that things are going successfully". If he continues with his unrestrained anger, he may lose it all. Musk is doing very stupid things now and it doesn't take a genius to see where he is heading.
Bomb
I think it takes a certain amount on "insanity" to have these people be who they are. Look at Steve Jobs. One of the most brilliant people ever that propelled a tech company to be bigger than oil. Yet he believed alternative medicine and idiotic treatments would save his life instead of getting a simple surgery for his cancer before it spread.

Quote:But Jobs refused surgery after diagnosis and for nine months after, favoring instead dietary treatments and other alternative methods. Isaacson says that when he asked Jobs why he had resisted it, Jobs said “I didn't want my body to be opened...I didn't want to be violated in that way.” His early resistance to surgery was apparently incomprehensible to his wife and close friends, who continually urged him to do it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalto...1b3dd87d2e
(10-05-2018, 07:55 PM)ZeroEnigma Wrote: I think it takes a certain amount on "insanity" to have these people be who they are. Look at Steve Jobs. One of the most brilliant people ever that propelled a tech company to be bigger than oil. Yet he believed alternative medicine and idiotic treatments would save his life instead of getting a simple surgery for his cancer before it spread.
Surgery is not a cure for cancer. It's a treatment that has variable success. Alternative medicines work for some people. Jobs made a choice in his personal life that he regretted later. His choice had nothing to do with insanity or brilliance.

But Musk is making choices ... bad choices that affect himself, his shareholders, and his employees. He can't keep his big trap shut on twitter.
Bomb
(10-06-2018, 12:57 AM)apoppin Wrote:
(10-05-2018, 07:55 PM)ZeroEnigma Wrote: I think it takes a certain amount on "insanity" to have these people be who they are. Look at Steve Jobs. One of the most brilliant people ever that propelled a tech company to be bigger than oil. Yet he believed alternative medicine and idiotic treatments would save his life instead of getting a simple surgery for his cancer before it spread.
Surgery is not a cure for cancer.  It's a treatment that has variable success.  Alternative medicines work for some people.  Jobs made a choice in his personal life that he regretted later.  His choice had nothing to do with insanity or brilliance.

But Musk is making choices ... bad choices that affect himself, his shareholders, and his employees.  He can't keep his big trap shut on twitter.
Bomb
I disagree. There are a lot of "cures" for cancer out there. Tons of scams. It saddens me to hear that Steve Jobs fell for this. No one has the cure for cancer. Nobody. Period. If they did they would be disgustingly rich. IMO the cause of cancer is our man made toxins and pollution that has infiltrated the air we breathe, the water we drink, and the food we eat, since the industrial revolution. Curing cancer would only be possible with something like nanotechnology whereby they could make robots small enough that they could somehow kill *all* the cancer cells, one by one. Sadly, the best technology we have at this point involves savagely removing parts of the body where the cancer is located, followed by radiation and chemotherapy. If someone told Steve Jobs differently, they are an idiot and I feel bad that he fell for that BS.

I am all in favor of naturopathy by the way. I do view it as superior overall to western medicine. However it cannot be viewed as a "cure all", nor should one completely discount what western medicine has to offer. Any honest naturopath will tell you that there are certain fields of medicine where naturopathy is simply not as advanced as western medicine.

It reminds me of the parents here in Alberta Canada that treated their son's meningitis with garlic and all sorts of other natural crap instead of taking the poor thing to the doctor. The child died and the parents are (rightly) in jail right now. Idiots.
Surgery is not a cure for cancer.  It's a treatment that has variable success.  Alternative medicines work for some people.  Jobs made a choice in his personal life that he regretted later.  His choice had nothing to do with insanity or brilliance.

But Musk is making choices ... bad choices that affect himself, his shareholders, and his employees.  He can't keep his big trap shut on twitter.
Bomb

Eat healthy all you want, a 22 year old women can still get breast cancer. I saw it myself. Cancer does not care if you are an Olympic athlete, Steve Jobs, Patrick Swayze, or a 32 year old firefighter with 2 kids and a pregnant wife like I took care of in Hospice.

Of course cancer is not cured with surgery 100% of the time. His was a very specific type where only 5% or so of people die from the disease when caught early on and it was a simple surgery. He did not want his body "cut into" and instead used acupuncture, botanicals, and dietary changes but by waiting those 9 months it spread. A rich man with endless resources and use of CAM treatments still didn't make it work.

If I ever get cancer you bet I am going to try any fad cancer diet or change or alternative medicine but I will also try any procedure with KNOWN results to cure me. It is insanity to be stubborn and think herbs and acupuncture can cure the cancer he had. Will I try them? sure. Will I avoid surgery because they are there? never.
(10-06-2018, 01:09 AM)SickBeast Wrote:

Bomb
I disagree.  There are a lot of "cures" for cancer out there.  Tons of scams.  It saddens me to hear that Steve Jobs fell for this.  No one has the cure for cancer.  Nobody.  Period.  If they did they would be disgustingly rich.  IMO the cause of cancer is our man made toxins and pollution that has infiltrated the air we breathe, the water we drink, and the food we eat, since the industrial revolution.  Curing cancer would only be possible with something like nanotechnology whereby they could make robots small enough that they could somehow kill *all* the cancer cells, one by one.  Sadly, the best technology we have at this point involves savagely removing parts of the body where the cancer is located, followed by radiation and chemotherapy.  If someone told Steve Jobs differently, they are an idiot and I feel bad that he fell for that BS.

I am all in favor of naturopathy by the way.  I do view it as superior overall to western medicine.  However it cannot be viewed as a "cure all", nor should one completely discount what western medicine has to offer.  Any honest naturopath will tell you that there are certain fields of medicine where naturopathy is simply not as advanced as western medicine.

It reminds me of the parents here in Alberta Canada that treated their son's meningitis with garlic and all sorts of other natural crap instead of taking the poor thing to the doctor.  The child died and the parents are (rightly) in jail right now.  Idiots.

Bravo. Agreed 100%. Mark himself has shown me some amazing cures and things to try where "western" medicine failed. I have a very bad leg and I took his advice and tried acupuncture and it worked for me, finally some relief!

But like you said, there is no cure-all. There never will be because there is no money in that right? I don't know. I hope one day someone comes up with something for these terrible things. I worked in healthcare for so long I never want to get old :( Dialysis clinics are the most depressing place to be in as well. Yet theres at least 4 I can name in a 20 mile block where I live :(
(10-06-2018, 01:09 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Sadly, the best technology we have at this point involves savagely removing parts of the body where the cancer is located, followed by radiation and chemotherapy.  If someone told Steve Jobs differently, they are an idiot and I feel bad that he fell for that BS.

Removing body parts where cancer is located does not cure cancer - period. That is why people who live after chemo and surgery are called survivors. Each person has to determine if chemo/surgery is "worth it" or not. Sometimes the surgery/chemo treatment is worse than suffering and dying from the disease itself. Each person has to decide for themselves what they will do and the "quality of life" has to be weighed with just "surviving longer" and suffering. There are no guarantees - either way. Some people spontaneously recover with no treatment whatsoever.

And yes, Steve did listen to his friends and he fell for their BS. But he could have had surgery and died anyway. No one escapes death.

But WtH does this have to do with Elon Musk and his recent stupidity?
Huh
(10-06-2018, 01:47 AM)apoppin Wrote:
(10-06-2018, 01:09 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Sadly, the best technology we have at this point involves savagely removing parts of the body where the cancer is located, followed by radiation and chemotherapy.  If someone told Steve Jobs differently, they are an idiot and I feel bad that he fell for that BS.

Removing body parts where cancer is located does not cure cancer - period.  That is why people who live after chemo and surgery are called survivors.  Each person has to determine if chemo/surgery is "worth it" or not.  Sometimes the surgery/chemo treatment is worse than suffering and dying from the disease itself.  Each person has to decide for themselves what they will do and the "quality of life" has to be weighed with just "surviving longer" and suffering. There are no guarantees - either way.  Some people spontaneously recover with no treatment whatsoever.

And yes, Steve did listen to his friends and he fell for their BS.  But he could have had surgery and died anyway.  No one escapes death.

But WtH does this have to do with Elon Musk and his recent stupidity?
Huh
Mario made the point that both Elon Musk and Steve Jobs are/were insane geniuses. Musk tweeted stupid things. Steve Jobs made poor health decisions. Actually I will also point out that there was a time when Steve Jobs exclusively ate apples. No other foods. He clearly had a screw loose.
(10-06-2018, 02:02 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Mario made the point that both Elon Musk and Steve Jobs are/were insane geniuses.  Musk tweeted stupid things.  Steve Jobs made poor health decisions.  Actually I will also point out that there was a time when Steve Jobs exclusively ate apples.  No other foods.  He clearly had a screw loose.

Actually he didn't:
Quote:I think it takes a certain amount on "insanity" to have these people be who they are.

This can apply to anyone who is rich and famous - or to anyone at all. It is said the difference between being called insane and being called eccentric is dependent on the amount of money a person has.

And Musk is still tweeting stupid things. Maybe he just needs a close friend who should tell him to StFU and stop damaging himself and his company.
(10-06-2018, 02:05 AM)apoppin Wrote:
(10-06-2018, 02:02 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Mario made the point that both Elon Musk and Steve Jobs are/were insane geniuses.  Musk tweeted stupid things.  Steve Jobs made poor health decisions.  Actually I will also point out that there was a time when Steve Jobs exclusively ate apples.  No other foods.  He clearly had a screw loose.

Actually he didn't:
Quote:I think it takes a certain amount on "insanity" to have these people be who they are.

This can apply to anyone who is rich and famous - or to anyone at all.  It is said the difference between being called insane and being called eccentric is dependent on the amount of money a person has.

And Musk is still tweeting stupid things.  Maybe he just needs a close friend who should tell him to StFU and stop damaging himself and his company.

Actually I did. This is exactly what I meant and why I mentioned Steve, if we want to be scrupulous of course it can be applied to anyone. It is simple discussion that flowed into someone else. Do I really have to create another thread just for that? lol

About chemo.."DUH. DUH DUH DUH" - A quote brought to you by Captain Obvious. Everyone knows this. Chemo is garbage that rarely works, if ever just like eating nothing but apples will do nothing to it.

Cancer is cancer. A single bad cell can destroy an entire body in weeks. But again, in his case only 5% of people with that specific cancer who GOT the surgery and yes sir chemo or whatever treatment plan is needed right away do NOT die. This is a proven statistic and not a CAM treatment with unproven worth. ;)

Elon Musk is a brilliant person just like Steve who has done pretty insane things with Space X and other ventures that most could never do. He is being an idiot lately that needs to STFU I agree. (met the thread requirement haha.)