• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's happening at BTR *15*
(09-06-2018, 03:47 PM)gstanford Wrote: Most laptops that replaced desktops never get moved, especially not now that people cart smartphones and tablets with them everywhere.

Obviously there is a market out there for this form factor or it would be dead, not expanding and growing.

I never (well, rarely) move my notebook. It has completely replaced my desktop and I will never go back to a desktop except for gaming. As a well-built workstation, it lasts for many years, is quiet, and uses little power. On top of that, it has a high quality display panel and a premium keyboard built in. And a SSD. What is not to like? - $329 for 5 years of good service and still going strong!
Paladin

Except for gaming and for graphics professional designers, the desktop market would be dead.
Yes, but you bought an expensive business laptop 2nd hand. There is only a limited number of that sort of thing out there, most normal people can't get them or wouldn't because they are 2nd hand.

Great deal for you, but hardly a practical model for Joe and Jane Average.
(09-06-2018, 05:13 PM)gstanford Wrote: Yes, but you bought an expensive business laptop 2nd hand.  There is only a limited number of that sort of thing out there, most normal people can't get them or wouldn't because they are 2nd hand.

Great deal for you, but hardly a practical model for Joe and Jane Average.

You are living in the past. Enterprise buys tonnes of brand new super-expensive notebooks for many of their employees every two years, and there is a huge turnover of refurbished notebooks in all classes. This is the 21st Century and these guaranteed refurbished notebooks are a significant business to most of the big etailers including Newegg and Amazon, and refurbio is a great place to shop.
https://us.refurb.io/

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=JGWRW73MFormsAXsvL-4Bg&q=refurbished+notebook&btnK=Google+Search&oq=refurbished+notebook&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l9.1209.8584..8962...6.0..0.1381.12823.5-16j1j1....2..0....1..gws-wiz.....0..35i39j0i131._udMKFF2o7I

Joe and Jane are now buying refurbished notebooks to replace their aging desktops - to supplement their smartphone/tablets. The savings are excellent considering most of these refurbished units have a 30-day return window and a year guarantee. Many new desktop come with 1-year warranties that offer optional extended coverage for expensive. And you can buy this kind of warranty for your refurbished notebook also.

And if Jane and Joe aren't wise to this ... they aren't paying attention to their more up-to-date friends on social media ....

Boredom
So Greg what do you do with all these multiple PCs? What was the 2600k system for? And why are you replacing it with something so small and basic? Power consumption? The 2600k is still and excellent and useful processor. And you might even be able to get close to 5ghz out of it.

And apoppin, "what's happening at BTR"? Is it top secret? Notsure
(09-07-2018, 12:08 AM)SickBeast Wrote: And apoppin, "what's happening at BTR"?  Is it top secret? Notsure

Not really. But I am under a NDA for awhile.

Paladin
(09-07-2018, 12:08 AM)SickBeast Wrote: So Greg what do you do with all these multiple PCs?  What was the 2600k system for?  And why are you replacing it with something so small and basic?  Power consumption?  The 2600k is still and excellent and useful processor.  And you might even be able to get close to 5ghz out of it.

And apoppin, "what's happening at BTR"?  Is it top secret? Notsure

It browses the web mainly and burns data to optical disk. Sometimes plays media back on the living room TV (not when I'm using it).

Sure the 2600K is still a very powerful processor. However the Z68 chipset it lives in is ridiculously outdated and Z77 isn't much better.

It gets more use from visitors and the wife than it does from me.

There aren't all these multiple pc's. Just the 2600K and 4790K plus the consoles. I turfed all the older cards and crap I used to keep when we moved.

Maybe in tech-savvy affluent America consumers purchase ex-corporate laptops. The vast majority of consumers on this planet purchase new though.
(09-07-2018, 01:15 AM)gstanford Wrote: Maybe in tech-savvy affluent America consumers purchase ex-corporate laptops.  The vast majority of consumers on this planet purchase new though.

Budget minded consumers buy used. It is a growing trend everywhere.

http://business.time.com/2011/10/07/the-...ying-used/

"stuff" - it's all used the moment you buy it

It looks like Hawaii is a magnet for storms this year.  Olivia is forecast to hit the Big Island and/or Maui this week.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hurricane-o...018-09-07/
Crazy_pilot

The current forecast track looks like Olivia will bring a lot of wind and rain for Oahu starting on Tuesday morning .... I just hope it degrades before it arrives.
http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/tcpages/toaep.php

There is a lot of activity in the Atlantic also ... climate change
Cloudy-very Rain-very Cloudy-very
What do you think ... shall I keep my benchmark suite at 35 games for my next review?

Or cut it down?

Here it is currently.

(DX11 Games)
Grand Theft Auto V
The Witcher 3
Fallout 4
Watch Dogs 2
Just Cause 3
Rainbow Six Siege
Battlefield 1
Resident Evil 7
For Honor
Ghost Recon Wildlands
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Prey
Project CARS 2
Middle Earth: Shadow of War
Assassin’s Creed Origins
Destiny 2
Call of Duty WW II
Star Wars: Battlefront II
Final Fantasy XV
Far Cry 5
The Crew 2
F1 2018

(DX12 Games)
Tom Clancy’s The Division
Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation
Hitman
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Gears of War 4
Civilization VI
Sniper Elite 4
Total War: Warhammer II
Forza 7

(Vulkan)
DOOM
Wolfenstein: The New Colossus
Strange Brigade

I think I can field 35 games. I dropped a few older games already.
I think 35 games sounds pretty bad ass to me.