Forums
What's happening at BTR *15* - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.babeltechreviews.com/community)
+-- Forum: BabelTechReviews (https://www.babeltechreviews.com/community/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Everything BabelTech Related (https://www.babeltechreviews.com/community/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: What's happening at BTR *15* (/showthread.php?tid=1360)

What's happening at BTR *15* - apoppin - 06-27-2018

We made it to 57 pages on the last 'what's happening' thread. So I locked it. We were talking about Nvidia's NDA last and it appears to be "normal" although there is clearly an AMD PR FUD campaign that is ongoing.

https://www.babeltechreviews.com/community/showthread.php?tid=1318&page=57

So feel free to continue the discussion here or talk about something else. I am feeling better and back to work benching.

RE: What's happening at BTR *15* - SickBeast - 06-27-2018

Planting seeds of doubt about what will surely be a good product is about all AMD has got left at this point, unfortunately. Their products speak for themselves. And they are drastically inferior. Volta will make Vega a low end product. AMD is probably terrified.

RE: What's happening at BTR *15* - apoppin - 06-27-2018

(06-27-2018, 04:32 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Planting seeds of doubt about what will surely be a good product is about all AMD has got left at this point, unfortunately.  Their products speak for themselves.  And they are drastically inferior.  Volta will make Vega a low end product.  AMD is probably terrified.

Remember the "Poor Volta" campaign? AMD is circling the wagons while sending out their stealth shock troops into social media as is their M.O. And it appears to me that their unofficial spokesman is no longer Charlie, but Kyle. It's a hate campaign founded on FUD.

I was hoping that AMD would change their methods after it appeared to me that Lisa shook up RTG and their top PR guys left. AMD has an awesome CPU and they should be playing up its strengths while putting R&D into their next graphics architecture instead of heaping hate on their competitors.
Thinking

RE: What's happening at BTR *15* - gstanford - 06-27-2018

Leopards never change their spots.

(06-27-2018, 05:16 PM)gstanford Wrote: Leopards never change their spots.

I was really hoping that with Lisa Su in charge, things would be different at RTG. I guess it is such a low priority, that things will continue as they have been. It is to their benefit to change their marketing team before they launch Navi. Clearly the old team is an abject failure except with social media.
Cry

This is absolutely worth looking at if you are interested in NDAs. It explains exactly what they do who they protect.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/allbusiness/2016/03/10/the-key-elements-of-non-disclosure-agreements/#7b03d3f627dd

In this case, the contract is non-mutual - 'for the benefit of Nvidia' - because they are the ones *giving* the privileged information to media.

Is Nvidia's NDA broad? You bet it is!
Quote:On one hand, the disclosing party wants this definition of confidential information to be as broad as possible to make sure the other side doesn’t find a loophole and start using its valuable secrets.

On the other hand, if you are the recipient of the information, you have a legitimate desire to make sure that the information that you are supposed to keep secret is clearly identified so that you know what you can and can’t use.

So far, no strange conspiracy to muzzle the press. But what about the disclosure rules?
Quote:The common exclusions include information that is:
Already known to the recipient
Already publicly known (as long as the recipient didn’t wrongfully release it to the public)
Independently developed by the recipient without reference to or use of the confidential information of the disclosing party
Disclosed to the recipient by some other party who has no duty of the confidentiality to the disclosing party
The NDA can also deal with the situation in which the recipient of the information is forced to disclose the information through a legal process. The recipient should be allowed to do that if forced by court order without breaching the NDA as long as the recipient has warned the disclosing party in advance of the legal proceeding.
Check. So far, Nvidia's lawyers are following the rules exactly.

And the contract spells out the 8 conditions for the recipients. Next, should the NDA last for 5 years?
Quote:How long should the NDA last? Some attorneys may argue that the NDA should last forever. Why should someone have the right to use your confidential information at any time?

But if you are the recipient of the confidential information, you probably want to insist on a definite term when the agreement ends. After all, most information after a certain number of years becomes useless anyway, and the cost of policing confidentiality obligations can become expensive if it’s a “forever” obligation.

So if you agree to a term, what is reasonable? Well, it really depends on the industry you are in and the type of information conveyed. In some businesses, a few years may be acceptable because the technology may change so fast as to render the information pretty much worthless.

Most agreements that I see (if they have a term) have a time limit of two to five years. But your NDA also needs to say that, even if the term is ended, the disclosing party isn’t giving up any other rights that it may have under copyright, patent, or other intellectual property laws.
Forbes' writer said it better than I could
:doh:

Check, check, check ... and checkmate to Kyle B's total FUD campaign. He needs a new legal "department". I am done researching NDAs and contract law to satisfy myself that what I signed will absolutely not impact my reviewing and journalistic integrity - or I can end the NDA unilaterally simply by emailing a Nvidia rep. Or they can dump me anytime for any reason. This NDA isn't a marriage but rather their NDA spells out exactly what they expect in return for disclosing privileged information.

There is no "muzzle" on the media as Kyle is still alleging and journalists, analysts, and reviewers are not bound to any unusual non-disclosure agreement favoring Nvidia. His is a FUD campaign to discredit the rest of the press and to set himself up as the only one with integrity.
Thinking

RE: What's happening at BTR *15* - SickBeast - 06-27-2018

Much ado about nothing. Kyle’s specialty lately. We’ll see what they come up with next. AMD is getting pretty desperate. Nothing better to do I guess. Idle hands get into mischief is the old saying.

apoppin please correct me if I’m wrong here, but isn’t part of signing an NDA denying the existence of said NDA? Kind of like fight club? Has nVidia allowed and encourage you to talk about this to dispel the rumours?

(06-27-2018, 07:49 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Much ado about nothing.  Kyle’s specialty lately.  We’ll see what they come up with next.  AMD is getting pretty desperate.  Nothing better to do I guess.  Idle hands get into mischief is the old saying.

apoppin please correct me if I’m wrong here, but isn’t part of signing an NDA denying the existence of said NDA?  Kind of like fight club?  Has nVidia allowed and encourage you to talk about this to dispel the rumours?

No.  And even if it were true, Nvidia hasn't returned the signed NDA *back* to me yet. I'll admit that I was in a hurry to get it back to them - having got it so late - that I read it and then signed it in the wrong place.  
Blush

Nvidia has to sign the contract and return a copy to me before it becomes a binding document. So I am not yet bound by this NDA and am as free to talk about it and give my opinion just like anyone else.  In addition, the contract is in the public domain - anyone can see it and there is no secrecy nor any issue with discussing it.

The NDA is quite general but it is basically asking the media who are revealed privileged information by Nvidia to be bound by the normal rules of non-disclosure.  There is nothing sinister or out of the ordinary and it very similar in spirit to the AMD NDA I signed years ago.  

Nvidia is basically giving us a general 5-year NDA *instead* of individual NDAs for every single major launch.  Now all they have to do is to remind us that we are bound by the NDA when they release privileged information to us.  And we can opt out if we wish - or if we already have inside information that was gathered from *other* than said privileged information.

I would have made a very good lawyer - but I really think that Nvidia should send a notice of intention along with the NDA spelling out in PLAIN ENGLISH what they mean.  Actually, all companies should do it for people who are not lawyers.  But that is just my opinion
Thinking

So Kyle hasn't got anything other than "Nvidia is Evil and they have bad intentions".  He is very much like Charlie now with his ridiculous and made-up allegations. These guys are not journalists.
Dodgy

I really didn't address all of this
Quote:apoppin please correct me if I’m wrong here, but isn’t part of signing an NDA denying the existence of said NDA? Kind of like fight club? Has nVidia allowed and encourage you to talk about this to dispel the rumours?

No. The NDA itself isn't under NDA. It is not a GPP contract where the terms of the contract may be that it is subject itself to confidentiality.

No. Nvidia doesn't direct or suggest that I do anything.

I do this all on my own. I got very annoyed that Kyle would cast aspersions on me and the rest of the tech media for signing it. There is no differentiating between a "reviewer" and a "journalist" here as Kyle falsely claims.

I am first of all a (1) Journalist. I was trained for it and made a living in Ireland and even worked as an investigative reporter where my life was actually in danger. I also did investigative reporting on a very popular Radio Free Hawaii and we broadcast from where we could be arrested live on a joint military-police operation to evict native Hawaiian homeless. My broadcast went live to most of the Islands as it was happening and it was featured on several Radio stations.

Although secondly, (2) I am a tech reviewer for the past ten years. But that does not mean I am not also a journalist. My investigative skills brought out an exclusive proving that AMD uses their employees as stealth shills and recently, I even posted an English exclusive that shows Jensen and Lisa Su are close relatives.

I would never sign my rights away to any investigative reporting. And - assuming there was some real illegal issues involved with information I received under NDA (like from a rogue employee), a whistle blower is protected by law and the NDA is considered null and void in that particular instance.

RE: What's happening at BTR *15* - SickBeast - 06-28-2018

Eh I'm not one to complain but BTR is *brutally* slow tonight.  Not only that but it's not always registering my posts.

RE: What's happening at BTR *15* - apoppin - 06-28-2018

(06-28-2018, 12:46 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Eh I'm not one to complain but BTR is *brutally* slow tonight.  Not only that but it's not always registering my posts.

Agreed. Thank-you for that! I thought it was only me. I have sent our issues on to Mario for resolution.

I let that last thread go on way too long ...
Blush