Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elmor's Open Letter
https://www.techpowerup.com/233303/on-el...e-industry
I don't know why he had to suddenly whine about Nvidia. This isn't 2012. If anyone is to blame for power limits on Pascal, it's the AIB partners, not Nvidia.
Interesting that he complains about nVidia when their cards overclock way more compared to AMD in terms of percentage and overall benefit.
AMD cards tend to come already pre-overclocked
Thinking
I still really don't see his point. Look at the nVidia Pascal cards. They don't benefit at all with increased voltage. What does he want? More voltage? I can see the argument for a higher power limit but that's about it. I have heard that the GTX 1080 has a higher power limit compared to the GTX 1070, and people have speculated that the GTX 1070 would benefit a lot if it weren't so locked down. I'm not complaining though. I'm extremely happy with my card and I was also very happy with my GTX 1060. It's hard to complain about nVidia right now. They are the market leader and they are not price gouging gamers at all. They could charge a lot more for their cards, particularly the high end ones.
They were charging a LOT more for their cards just a couple of months back. You had to pay $650 or more (usually more) for a GTX1070 and the really highend custom ones were more like $850AU with GTX1080 pushing a grand or more.

Compare that with GTX970 which was $525AU or the GTX670 which was $570AU. The GTX1070 has settled in at $550AU, but that is only after being on the market for a full year!
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.
(05-15-2017, 01:21 AM)gstanford Wrote: They were charging a LOT more for their cards just a couple of months back.  You had to pay $650 or more (usually more) for a GTX1070 and the really highend custom ones were more like $850AU with GTX1080 pushing a grand or more.

Compare that with GTX970 which was $525AU or the GTX670 which was $570AU.  The GTX1070 has settled in at $550AU, but that is only after being on the market for a full year!
I don't think that was nVidia themselves. AFAIK it was the retailers doing the gouging.