Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VA vs IPS
http://4k.com/va-display-panels-vs-ips-d...w-19275-2/
Conclusion: VA is generally superior to IPS.
Yes, *VA is superior to both IPS and TN.

Nearly all LCD televisions on the market use some variant of VA tech. It has excellent IQ.

Meanwhile computer users get saddled with craptacular TN & IPS and are charged a fortune for it compared to equivalent size TV panels to boot. Insane.

My cheap and nasty budget 40" tv looks better than any LCD monitor I've had, and in the past I've had some of the best monitors money could buy at the time.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.
I have to disagree on this one. Perhaps it's because my living room is so bright, however I absolutely *love* my IPS 4k TV. It has a much better picture than my old VA panel Hisense TV had. Sure, the blacks aren't quite as black, but they're close. I find the picture is brighter with better colors. I also like that people on the other side of the room have virtually no degradation in the picture quality from sitting off angle. So I will say that it depends on the TV.

My next TV will be at least 75", hopefully 4k with HDR. Right now Costco sells a 75" 4k Haier model for $1800CAD. Once the HDR versions hit around that price I will be in for one. As it stands right now my current 55" 4k Proscan TV is absolutely wonderful. By far the best TV purchase I have ever made. Mind you, I did have to RMA the original one I bought.
Yes, IPS is bright. Too bright, to the point where you are left with hardly any gamma and contrast adjustment.

Plus IPS panels leak backlight illumination and glow like something out of fallout.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.
(04-20-2017, 12:38 AM)gstanford Wrote: Yes, IPS is bright.  Too bright, to the point where you are left with hardly any gamma and contrast adjustment.

Plus IPS panels leak backlight illumination and glow like something out of fallout.

I haven't noticed the infamous "IPS glow" on my TV. While I'm sure there's less contrast and a slightly worse black level compared to a VA panel TV, I find that the "pros" balance out the "cons". I would really say that these things are going to vary greatly from TV to TV. I'm sure there are IPS TVs out there that are better than certain VA panel TVs, and vice versa. In my own case, my IPS 4k TV is better than my 1080p Hisense, and the Hisense was already quite good (it had a better picture than my old Sharp TV that I paid good money for back in the day).

That's the thing. They might have tested a crappy IPS TV against a very good VA TV.
You need to get good IPS products, bad ones are outrageously bad and there are more bad IPS products out there with light leakage and glow than there are good ones.

Whereas even a mediocre VA panel is still damn good. I've sat in front of enough monitors and TV's to know which I prefer, that's for sure.

Here's my 2 cents. It depends on what kind of IPS you are using. Regular IPS is generally inferior to VA.

I have a professional 30" display that cost me about $1600 in 2008. HP LP3065.
It was S-IPS (Super IPS) which is a huge step up over IPS. And the only thing better than S-IPS is H-IPS which costs thousands of dollars for a display,
(at least it used to be this way)

I have a premium Acer Predator 34" UHD IPS display that has backlight bleed and it costs over $1200 (courtesy of Nvidia).
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a...6824009893

It is a Gsync gaming display and it has a very fast response time - but its color accuracy falls short of my old (slow) HP LP3065.
S-IPS is really hard to find. Newegg only has 2 new S-IPS monitors, and 1 of those is out of stock.
I would be extremely annoyed if I paid $1200+ for a monitor and then had to put up with backlight bleed.

Are you certain it is 34"? Link says 32" and I thought most 34" monitors were those curved abominations from LG and Samsung.