Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Titan XM to 1080 Ti upgrade benchmarks
So I finally upgraded my trusty Titan XM. 1080 didn't feel like a worthy upgrade, I've waited patiently until big Pascal became affordable again. Lo and behold, 1080 Ti is here. I was lucky enough to snag one on release day directly from nvidia. It's Founders Edition. Since I don't seem to have a lot of time lately to play, I've managed to benchmark few games and synthetics. Now without further adieu, Titan XM vs 1080 Ti benchmarks.

I5 2500K at 4.6Ghz
2560x1440 resolution
Titan XM: 1410 core/stock memory clocks
1080 Ti: bone stock (starts out at 1820 Mhz and then drops to around 1720 Mhz on stock fan/power limit)

[Image: Results.png]

[Image: Graph_1.png]

Well, on average it looks like stock 1080 Ti is 40-45% faster than my old overclocked Titan. Still working on overclocking of the new card, results to follow. 

@SickBeast also asked for Wildlands results:

Stock 1080 Ti:
[Image: Wildlands_stock.png]

1080 Ti OCed to 1976 core/5900 mem:
[Image: Wildlands_OC_1976_5900.png]

I will add more benches when I have more time. Feel free to ask for specific game/resolution/settings, will try to accommodate all requests.

Final thoughts: card is loud with stock cooler, I'm used to my Titan whisper quiet AIO. I will definitely rip off stock cooler and replace it with AIO down then line. Performance is good. I think my CPU is holding me back somewhat, I though I'd be seeing bigger performance gap between Titan Maxwell and big Pascal. Overall I am happy with the card.

Thanks for reading.

Edit:
Adding GOW4 benchmarks. Ultra quality, 2 resolutions: native and 4K in-game.

1400p, stock clocks:
Avg. 96.0 min. 62.7
GPU bound: 79.1%
[Image: GOW_4_stock.png]

1400p, OCed 1976/5900:
Avg. 99.0 min. 66.8
GPU bound: 56.6%
[Image: GOW_4_1976_5900.png]

4K, stock clocks:
Avg. 56.9 min. 48.1
GPU bound: 99.4%
[Image: GOW_4_4_K_stock.png]

4K, OCed:
Avg. 61.6 min. 51.8
GPU bound: 99.1%
[Image: GOW_4_4_K_OC_1976_5900.png]

Here I am clearly CPU bottlenecked at my native resolution. Damn, need to start shopping for new CPU. OC resulted in 8.3% performance increase.

Edit:
Adding Rise Of the Tomb Raider benchmarks. DX12, all maxed out with SMAA.

1400p, stock clocks:
[Image: ROTTR_DX12_stock_1440p.png]

1400p, OCed 1976/5900:
[Image: ROTTR_DX12_OC_1976_5900_1440p.png]

4K, stock:
[Image: ROTTR_DX12_4_K_stock.png]

4K, OCed 1976/5900:
[Image: ROTTR_DX12_4_K_OC_1976_5900.png]

12.9% performance increase from overclock at my native resolution, 11.4% increase at 4K.

Edit:
Adding Return of the Tomb Raider stock vs OC 1400p vs 4K benchmarks:
[Image: ROTTR_becnhes.png]
Wow, rustydaemon, great job! You really went all out! Charts and graphs and everything, I'm impressed! Thanks for testing Wildlands for me.

Your results look fine to me and they are more or less in line with what you should be seeing, at least IMO. You would probably see more difference at 4k resolution. You may be somewhat CPU limited at 1440p as you say, depending on the game.

I really appreciate your taking the time to post those benchmarks.
Excellent job!! And a very good upgrade which is awesome for playing above 50 FPS at maxed out detail settings at 2560x1440 in most cases.

What is your i5-2500K overclocked to?

If you use Fraps during a Metro run or Hitman bench, you will see higher minimums.
Great work. That 2500k @ 4.6 is doing a nice job pushing that 1080ti.
What RAM speed are you running? Upgrading to faster RAM can give faster gaming performance with a 2500K: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digita...e-i5-2500k
He could maybe even overclock his current RAM, carefully. rustydaemon if you want some help with that, just let me know. It's a little tedious and it's harder to do compared with overclocking your CPU, but I think you will see some real gains.

I don't think you can run faster than 2133mhz RAM with a 2500k. And I'll bet your current memory can run at that speed with the right voltage. Just don't exceed 1.65v on the RAM. Some people say you can push more voltage than that but I would never do it. Try the standard timings first. 10-12-12-31. 1.6v is the stock voltage for that speed. I would be tempted to try 1.65v first just to see if it will post and run memtest for a few minutes. Then you could try lowering the voltage down to 1.6v, and run memtest again, this time for longer.
(03-19-2017, 01:23 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Wow, rustydaemon, great job!  You really went all out!  Charts and graphs and everything, I'm impressed!  Thanks for testing Wildlands for me.

Your results look fine to me and they are more or less in line with what you should be seeing, at least IMO.  You would probably see more difference at 4k resolution.  You may be somewhat CPU limited at 1440p as you say, depending on the game.

It was a pleasure doing it, I do it every time I upgrade video card, usually with more games than this. Almost forgot what fun it is.

(03-19-2017, 01:41 AM)apoppin Wrote: Excellent job!!  And a very good upgrade which is awesome for playing above 50 FPS at maxed out detail settings at 2560x1440 in most cases.

If you use Fraps during a Metro run or Hitman bench, you will see higher minimums.

Thanks! Yeah, min counter looks broken in half of these benches. My CPU is at 4.6Ghz.

(03-19-2017, 01:49 AM)happy medium Wrote: Great work. That 2500k @ 4.6 is doing a nice job pushing that 1080ti.

Thanks. I don't usually play multiplayer games like BF1 and such, and like to turn all graphics settings in a game to the max. I thought I still can squeak by without upgrading CPU with 1080 Ti, but it looks like its about time. Just wanted to see when all Ryzen bugs are worked out before spending $$$ on new platform.

(03-19-2017, 03:48 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: What RAM speed are you running? Upgrading to faster RAM can give faster gaming performance with a 2500K: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digita...e-i5-2500k

Its 2 sticks of DDR3 1600

[Image: ram_2.png]
[Image: ram_1.png]

I think at this point I'll just wait a bit to see if Ryzen bugs are worked out and then just upgrade whole thing.

(03-19-2017, 01:01 PM)SickBeast Wrote: He could maybe even overclock his current RAM, carefully.  rustydaemon if you want some help with that, just let me know.  It's a little tedious and it's harder to do compared with overclocking your CPU, but I think you will see some real gains.

I don't think you can run faster than 2133mhz RAM with a 2500k.  And I'll bet your current memory can run at that speed with the right voltage.  Just don't exceed 1.65v on the RAM.  Some people say you can push more voltage than that but I would never do it.  Try the standard timings first.  10-12-12-31.  1.6v is the stock voltage for that speed.  I would be tempted to try 1.65v first just to see if it will post and run memtest for a few minutes.  Then you could try lowering the voltage down to 1.6v, and run memtest again, this time for longer.

I'd probably just upgrade to new platform and 3200 DDR4 ram. Don't get me wrong I'd love to tinker with the RAM, but between wife, kids, work, and other real life things, I barely found time to swap the cards. 1080 Ti was sitting unopened in a box for 2 whole days this time. Oh, the horror... In the past I'd take day off work on a delivery day and wait for mailman at the door....  Big Grin

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll be updating this thread with overclocking results once I'm done.
Sounds good. Have fun overclocking. You sure did get a lot of mileage out of that 2500k. If I were you I would hold off a bit on Ryzen if you can. It's not going to give you better game performance than your 2500k, and right now the platform is full of bugs. At least wait for the 2nd generation, IMO. Intel might offer some price cuts or deals as well if you wait. Maybe we'll see something on Black Friday.
Your results and methods look solid. It could be formalized, filled out a bit, and made into a review
Yes

i7-7700K is still the enthusiast gaming platform. It's going to take AMD awhile to tweak their platform to match performance with Ryzen. I am also going to buy a Ryzen system for alternative benching, but my next upgrade will be a Kaby Lake i7 as BTR's flagship PC.

2560x1440 runs into some CPU limitations even with an overclocked i7-7700K. That is why AMD is putting so much emphasis on 4K resolution. And overclocked i5-2500K is finally showing its age with 1080 Ti.

(03-19-2017, 02:06 PM)rustydaemon Wrote:
(03-19-2017, 01:23 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Wow, rustydaemon, great job!  You really went all out!  Charts and graphs and everything, I'm impressed!  Thanks for testing Wildlands for me.

Your results look fine to me and they are more or less in line with what you should be seeing, at least IMO.  You would probably see more difference at 4k resolution.  You may be somewhat CPU limited at 1440p as you say, depending on the game.

It was a pleasure doing it, I do it every time I upgrade video card, usually with more games than this. Almost forgot what fun it is.

(03-19-2017, 01:41 AM)apoppin Wrote: Excellent job!!  And a very good upgrade which is awesome for playing above 50 FPS at maxed out detail settings at 2560x1440 in most cases.

Thanks! Yeah, min counter looks broken in half of these benches. My CPU is at 4.6Ghz.

(03-19-2017, 01:49 AM)happy medium Wrote: Great work. That 2500k @ 4.6 is doing a nice job pushing that 1080ti.

Thanks. I don't usually play multiplayer games like BF1 and such, and like to turn all graphics settings in a game to the max. I thought I still can squeak by without upgrading CPU with 1080 Ti, but it looks like its about time. Just wanted to see when all Ryzen bugs are worked out before spending $$$ on new platform.

(03-19-2017, 03:48 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: What RAM speed are you running? Upgrading to faster RAM can give faster gaming performance with a 2500K: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digita...e-i5-2500k

Its 2 sticks of DDR3 1600

[Image: ram_2.png]
[Image: ram_1.png]

I think at this point I'll just wait a bit to see if Ryzen bugs are worked out and then just upgrade whole thing.

(03-19-2017, 01:01 PM)SickBeast Wrote: He could maybe even overclock his current RAM, carefully.  rustydaemon if you want some help with that, just let me know.  It's a little tedious and it's harder to do compared with overclocking your CPU, but I think you will see some real gains.

I don't think you can run faster than 2133mhz RAM with a 2500k.  And I'll bet your current memory can run at that speed with the right voltage.  Just don't exceed 1.65v on the RAM.  Some people say you can push more voltage than that but I would never do it.  Try the standard timings first.  10-12-12-31.  1.6v is the stock voltage for that speed.  I would be tempted to try 1.65v first just to see if it will post and run memtest for a few minutes.  Then you could try lowering the voltage down to 1.6v, and run memtest again, this time for longer.

I'd probably just upgrade to new platform and 3200 DDR4 ram. Don't get me wrong I'd love to tinker with the RAM, but between wife, kids, work, and other real life things, I barely found time to swap the cards. 1080 Ti was sitting unopened in a box for 2 whole days this time. Oh, the horror... In the past I'd take day off work on a delivery day and wait for mailman at the door....  Big Grin

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll be updating this thread with overclocking results once I'm done.