Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kingston Prizes
Yesterday the rest of my grand prize from the December contest arrived. Kingston had to send it to me in two shipments because they ran out of stock on one of the prizes. Everything looks great! I unpacked the wireless card reader and gave it a quick whirl, it's really cool. I love that I can transfer all my photos wirelessly. It works over wireless AC, so the transfers should be really quick on it. It has a beefy battery on it. The build quality on it is excellent. I really like it! I will update the thread once I have done some large transfers on it.

I also got the DataTraveler 50 USB flash drive and a 64gb micro SD card, both of which look very nice. I'm planning to use the memory card in my DSLR camera and I will use the USB drive for Windows installs and quick backups. The USB drive is made of metal which I really like. It's nice an portable as well.

The 64gb micro SD card is rated at 45MB/sec write speed which is very good. It's not the absolute best in terms of write speed, but it is very good and I'm sure it will make a difference for me when I take burst shots with my camera.

I want to thank BTR and Kingston again for the great prizes! I am extremely grateful. I will put them all to great use. Smile
[Image: wireless_card_reader.jpg]des photos

[Image: flash_drive.jpg]hebergeur image
Congratulations! Those are very nice prizes! I know Mario really liked his Kingston Wireless backup device (he wrote a review about it for ABT) and he still uses it years later.

I think Kingston is a great sponsor for BTR's contests in exchange for our hosting their banners.

Shall we do it again? Shall I ask Kingston to sponsor prizes for BTR's next contest?

I am thinking of late January, early February for our next contest .... what is holding me back is what the contest should be about next time
(I'm pretty far behind in my writing ... VR benching of the Oculus Rift has proved to be exceptionally challenging and it has taken me far longer than I liked)
Blush
Thanks!

Another contest would be great if Kingston would sponsor it again! Perhaps you could make the contest somehow VR related. Let me see if I can come up with something. Good luck with your article! I'm sure it's going to turn out great.
(01-07-2017, 04:13 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Another contest would be great if Kingston would sponsor it again! Perhaps you could make the contest somehow VR related. Let me see if I can come up with something. Good luck with your article! I'm sure it's going to turn out great.

I think Kingston will sponsor it. I'll ask my contact there next week (CES is a difficult week for everyone in the tech industry, and I'll give him a few days to recover).

The main thing about a contest is that it needs to be simple. Complex contests don't work.

And you have more confidence that I do. I am basically writing the method for benching the Oculus Rift - no one else has done it yet. It is pretty difficult to get repeatable benches with VR like it is with PC game benching. Identical runs are difficult. I have to wait until my camera arrives to see if I can manage it that way.

In the meantime, I'll write Part One of the Oculus Rift evaluation - it will explain the difficulties of benching it there in greater detail.
Sounds good. I think that the pass or fail benchmarking that you mentioned earlier is fine for now. Either the gpu can do it or it can't. That's really the most important thing that people need know anyways.
(01-07-2017, 04:32 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Sounds good. I think that the pass or fail benchmarking that you mentioned earlier is fine for now. Either the gpu can do it or it can't. That's really the most important thing that people need know anyways.

That's how VR works. If the GPU can maintain 90 fps, you will get a great experience. If the GPU will maintain 45 fps, you will get a decent experience. If it drops frames, you will get sick.

Pass or Fail.

But getting the benching methodology exactly right is difficult. If you move your head up or down, you will get different results. I am waiting for my new camera to arrive to see if I can absolutely fix the perspective. And supporting video so the reader/viewer can see what the player sees (together with an overlay showing the performance) will be ideal.

However, part 1 can just be an introduction to OR VR benching. I think I can have it done by mid week.
Sounds good. Good luck getting it finished! I hope the camera works well for you.
(01-07-2017, 04:46 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Sounds good. Good luck getting it finished! I hope the camera works well for you.

Thank-you! I really need good luck.

And if the camera doesn't work, back it goes!!

I expect it will work, however. My current CoolPix can only focus to about 10 cm yet I got a fair picture. This one is supposed to focus to 1 cm. I am thinking if I make a stand for it in exactly the right place in relation to the sensors, I should be able to get a repeatable benchmark. And using the cameras LCD to perform the benchmark should mean I won't get VR sick like I would do if I was wearing the HMD.
(VR sickness is most unpleasant ... it basically ends playing again for the rest of the day; you need to take a break for hours before coming back to it)
Sick

It's all uncharted waters. As I said, I really need a lot of good luck. In the meantime, I'll start on the introduction ... Part 1 in hope that I can work it out for Part 2.
I ran a quick benchmark on the Kingston 64gb flash drive:

[Image: kingston_flash_drive_crystal.png]hebergeur gratuit

That's a great result IMO! I will test the micro SD card soon.