• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's happening at BTR *7* .. & report issues here
(11-11-2016, 04:12 AM)gstanford Wrote: It is less than half of what the 670 cost me back in the day - $550 iirc

and it will see a fair whack of use, I'm getting rid of the dedicated gaming system and the 970's etc, the productivity system will do gaming too from here on out.

It makes sense for 1920x1080. You will still have a decent low-power gaming PC that will outshine the consoles, and it will serve double duty. What CPU do you use in your PC?
Same as the gaming machine, 4790K with 16gb of DDR3 2400. Only real difference is the graphics card and the motherboard is a H97, not Z97.

The 670 plays most things pretty well actually, just gets a little frame-buffer challenged in newer games (and it will be nice to save some power).
(11-11-2016, 04:25 AM)gstanford Wrote: Same as the gaming machine, 4790K with 16gb of DDR3 2400.  Only real difference is the graphics card and the motherboard is a H97, not Z97.

The 670 plays most things pretty well actually, just gets a little frame-buffer challenged in newer games (and it will be nice to save some power).
4790K is not slower in gaming than 6700K. I have one for my back-up PC. Are you going to keep the Z97 MB or the H97? You should get a decent price still for a pair of GTX 670s and a Devil's Canyon PC.

4GB should be fine at 1080P for a few more years, I guess. I don't think the 4K consoles will make much difference to PC gaming. I guess if you wanted more "future proof", a GTX 1060 6GB would be the next step up, and it is considerably more expensive. However, there is no SLI upgrade path with GTX 1060 either.
I'm selling the gaming rig as it is, not bothering to keep the z97 board. It really only has SLI capability over H97 which lacks it.

For the games I want to play on PC the 1050 Ti should be fine. I do most of my gaming on console anyhow.
(11-11-2016, 04:48 AM)gstanford Wrote: I'm selling the gaming rig as it is, not bothering to keep the z97 board.  It really only has SLI capability over H97 which lacks it.

For the games I want to play on PC the 1050 Ti should be fine.  I do most of my gaming on console anyhow.

Your plan makes sense.

I am stuck on playing CoD IW. The SP campaign is excellent (for a change; the last few just sucked). I'm probably 1/3 into it. Even the fighting in space is better than tolerable.

I'm impressed with a CoD SP campaign. I never thought I would say that again.
:P
(11-12-2016, 08:05 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Very nice. :)

With my work and family obligations I rarely have time to game any more, and when I have some downtime I find reading or watching sports more relaxing.  So I am becoming less of a gamer as I get older.  Which is fine.  I can stick with midrange hardware.  I used to always want to have high end gaming gear.

When I have some time off from work I do enjoy gaming though, plus my son has a bunch of PC games that he really enjoys.  Lately he's been glued to the Wii U for Minecraft though.  Thank God for the Wii U gamepad!  It means he doesn't need to use the TV to play his games.  The Wii U is actually a great console.  It got way more flak than it deserved.  It's considerably more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360 as well.  Minecraft, for example, runs at 60fps on the Wii U but only 30fps on the PS3 and Xbox 360.  We have had a lot of hours of gaming enjoyment with our Wii U.  And I have no doubts whatsoever that we will get a Switch at some point.  It looks like it will be their best console yet.
I finished CoD IW. Awesome SP. I am really glad that I got to play a bunch of new games. I played more games to completion in the past 30 day that I have in the past 2 years.

Gaming is kinda what BTR is all about. I feel much better now ... I'm going to tackle Titanfall 2 next.

Having a top system is just gravy. I could be satisfied with much less. However, thanks to Nvidia I have pretty close to an ultimate system for playing the latest games.

And now I feel recharged and (almost) ready to return to benching
Cool
That's great! :)

I'm feeling better today as well. My weeks have been draining me lately. I've had a nice low key day today. Just doing some laundry and relaxing. I did a bit of housework and house maintenance as well.

Last weekend my dryer blew up and replacing it was a total pain. It took up a good chunk of my weekend. It's probably a good thing that it died though. It was taking close to 2 hours to dry a load, it was on its last legs. The new one dries a load in about half an hour so it will probably pay for itself on our energy bills.
(11-12-2016, 08:34 PM)SickBeast Wrote: That's great! :)

I'm feeling better today as well.  My weeks have been draining me lately.  I've had a nice low key day today.  Just doing some laundry and relaxing.  I did a bit of housework and house maintenance as well.

Last weekend my dryer blew up and replacing it was a total pain.  It took up a good chunk of my weekend.  It's probably a good thing that it died though.  It was taking close to 2 hours to dry a load, it was on its last legs.  The new one dries a load in about half an hour so it will probably pay for itself on our energy bills.

I pulled my dryer out about ten years ago and replaced it with a clothes line
:P

Here in the desert, the sun does it job perfectly well. It is generally very low humidity even in the Winter months and in the Summer, clothes will dry on the line in under an hour.

I have to comment once again on CoD IW. It's the kind of game after the ending that makes you think. Very unusual ending - I don't remember any major game that ended like this one did. It telegraphed the ending but the player probably keeps thinking as I did, "they wouldn't dare". But they did!

I loved the game. There are probably 12 hours or more if you do everything (probably 8 hours if you just rush through the story). I just realized that I completed all the story missions in but there are probably 5 or 6 side missions I didn't touch. I played a couple of them, and interestingly, they focused on stealth.

Highly recommended. I'd give CoD IW's SP campaign an 8.7/10 ... just a little higher than Shadow Warrior 2 (for the fun factor), and above GoW 4.
Cool

If you want weaknesses. The lead character you play is a little dull personally; and the villain isn't great. But the supporting cast is awesome and some of them are memorable.
Yeah a clothes line would never work in Canada. Not unless you want frozen clothes. :P

We used to do it in the summer at our old house but we never got around to installing one here. I might do it next summer. It does work great.
If I'm not mistaken, frozen wet clothes hanging on a line will break and tear.

If it gets really rainy, I hang clothes on a line in the patio. They will dry in a couple of days ... but I haven't had to do this in years.