• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's happening at BTR *6* .. & report issues here
(08-31-2016, 04:30 AM)apoppin Wrote:
(08-31-2016, 04:04 AM)SickBeast Wrote: It will probably overheat and throttle once it's overclocked.  It will be loud as well.

I will say that it actually looks like in a lot of games the 3gb of VRAM versus the 4gb on the AMD cards makes a big difference, which I find surprising.

The GTX 1060 3gb card is just too crippled for my liking.

Well, it looks like 8% is stable without throttling in a cold room with Max fan Powerlimit temps and voltage.

I agree on the 3GB cards.
Well really and truly the 4gb cards are next. In future games I expect them to have issues as well.

I'm impressed that the RX470 is not throttling with an 8% overclock. It must have good cooling. And it must be loud! Angel

Goodnight by the way! It's way past my bedtime.
Full details tomorrow. The extra voltage did it!

Good night!
Well, 8% was a little optimistic. It passed most of the game benchmarks but turned out to be unstable if the room temperatures rose a little too much.

So I am benching the RX 470 Red Devil at +7.5% which is 1365MHz ... and definitely up over the 5% I got earlier (1335MHz). This is on the latest drivers. I will do the same thing for the GTX 1060 3GB on Nvidia's latest Monday drivers. I might be able to squeeze +450MHz out of the memory and another +13MHz out of the core.

Look for a publication on Friday. Then I'll overclock the RX 480 Red Devil and run a rematch with the 6GB 1060 SC all on the latest drivers for Monday. By then we'll have a driver analysis and maybe I can start on GTX 1070 SLI v Titan X next week.

August is a record traffic month already. We have more than 2X (double) the traffic of July
Cool

The Reddit threads turned out surprisingly positive even on the AMD side with 58 comments and plenty of upvotes. No more BS about Doom Vulkan from the Advocates.
:D
Such an irritation. The benchmarks pass at 7.5% much like they do at 8%. BUT, when a loading screen stays up too long, or after a benchmark completes, the PC will freeze up. Also, it doesn't scale as well at 7.5% or at 8% as it does at 7%. So I guess I am right at the edge of instability.
Cry

So it looks like 7% will be the final overclock for Red Devil RX 470 overall stability. And that is with maxed out everything including voltage in a cool room. The fan at 100% is not that loud. More like a whoosh than a whine. OtOH, the EVGA fan starts to whine at 90%. Fortunately, it doesn't need to be that high.
SB should post apoppins' fan speed comments to the reddit AMD shill who thinks apoppin is biased and ask him if a biased person would say that the AMD fan is quieter than the nvidia one if they truly were biased against AMD....
(08-31-2016, 04:06 PM)gstanford Wrote: SB should post apoppins' fan speed comments to the reddit AMD shill who thinks apoppin is biased and ask him if a biased person would say that the AMD fan is quieter than the nvidia one if they truly were biased against AMD....

Why bother? The real people who post at Reddit can see right through the Advocates' smoke screen of slander and lies. And the Advocates ... well, who cares what they think?

That thread has got some good comments (58, last I looked) and generally it is more upvoted.

The Advocates have absolutely no argument against my benching methods or lack of bias. AMD had no problem accepting my benchmark results for years before I exposed their pre-Advocate program.
Would you believe 6.5%?
Cry

This is ridiculous. The ever diminishing overclock. Now it is not much more performance than at 5%

I would never crank up the voltage just to get an extra 1.5% overclock. But at least it isn't crashing regularly to desktop now.
Polaris is just an all round marginal chip. How much of that comes down to incompetent design and how much is due to a poor GF foundry process isn't known, but the end-result of it all certainly is. The product has issues everywhere you look.
Well, I still believe that Polaris has potential. The partner cards are miles better than the reference RX 480 atrocity foisted on AMD fans.

I think we will see a GHz edition pretty soon - a respin or mild reworking of it.
(which will also probably be clocked right to the edge of instability also :P )
Well the overclocking article is going to be very interesting. I am looking forward to seeing what the Advocates will come up with next in terms of complaints about BTR. They are running out of straws to grasp at! :)

(08-31-2016, 04:06 PM)gstanford Wrote: SB should post apoppins' fan speed comments to the reddit AMD shill who thinks apoppin is biased and ask him if a biased person would say that the AMD fan is quieter than the nvidia one if they truly were biased against AMD....

You know what, I'm very impressed with the number of good people on Reddit who stepped up and downvoted that troll to all oblivion. Thankfully several people with half a brain showed up and posted some intelligent comments and made the troll look like the stupid idiot that he is.