• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's happening at BTR *6* .. & report issues here
Every now and then, this thread needs a fresh start.  So I locked the old one
http://babeltechreviews.com/community/sh...hp?tid=582

Feel free to refer to it.

Here's a quick report.  BTR is doing great traffic-wise and we have increased our traffic significantly over last month (more than 20K unique visitors over the previous month).  It is showing on Alexa with a steady climb up the charts.  Best of all, there is a nice mix of visitors with only 45% coming from the USA

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/babeltechreviews.com
Quote:Global Rank - 444,907 . . .  up^ 1,485,562
Rank in United States - 118,186

Finally, I have a ton of reviews scheduled.  I have started breaking long reviews into 2 parts for easier reading and better focus.
  • EVGA GTX 1060 3GB (lite) vs GTX 1060 6GB FE vs RX 470 & Red Devil RX 470
  • The follow up is an overclocking showdown
  • Red Devil RX 480 vs EVGA GTX 1060 SC overclocking showdown
  • GTX 1070 FE SLI vs Titan X
  • I'll try to follow up with a general SLI vs CF evaluation
  • Kingston still hasn't sent the replacement 3333MHz DDR4, but I expect it soon

and then there are the regular driver performance analysis evaluations in-between

I am also going to work on the September contest.

Anything you want to comment on, please let us know.
I can't wait to see the mini gtx 1060 smack the rx480 around. And the reaction by the advocates will be priceless. Everything looks great to me! We will see how much the traffic climbs.
(08-27-2016, 10:38 PM)SickBeast Wrote: I can't wait to see the mini gtx 1060 smack the rx480 around. And the reaction by the advocates will be priceless. Everything looks great to me! We will see how much the traffic climbs.
Except the 1060 3GB doesn't
:-/
Doesn't it though? Not even when overclocked?

I was referring to the full cards anyways. But I would be surprised to see the RX480 beat even the lite card.
(08-27-2016, 11:06 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Doesn't it though? Not even when overclocked?

I was referring to the full cards anyways. But I would be surprised to see the RX480 beat even the lite card.

Overclocking is part 2. I am splitting all of my evaluations into two parts. It is much easier on the reader ... and it doubles BTR's traffic for the same amount of work that I do.

I am comparing Part 1 - the GTX 1060 "lite" versus the GTX 1060 and versus the RX 470 and Red Devil RX 470. The GTX 1060 needs to be updated to the latest driver which is what I am doing now. I'll be done benching tonight and write the article tomorrow. Then I'll start on overclocking GTX 1060 lite for a potential Tuesday publication.

Then I'll return to RX 480 Red Devil overclocked-to-the-max vs the overclocked EVGA GTX 1060 SC (6GB).
Actually, I'll run the GTX 1060-3GB evaluations back to back. There is a lot more interest in the 1060-3GB card because it is brand new, so I will concentrate on it. I nailed down a preliminary OC and it is better than I expected for a completely entry-level EVGA GTX 1060-3GB at $199 (to go against a premium $199 Red Devil RX 470).

I am writing the GTX 1060 3GB (part 1) eval now with a likely publication by tomorrow AM. Then it (part 2) is a no-holds barred OC-to-the-max OC vs the OC'd RX 470 Red Devil (new OC/latest drivers) which should be up by Wednesday AM.

After that (for publication next weekend) is a return to the Red Devil RX 480 and I'll run everything OCed to the Max vs a GTX 1060-SC 6GB. THEN GTX 1070 SLI vs Titan X. Probably a new driver performance analysis tossed in too.
That all sounds great.

I really think the GTX 1060 cards are going to win by quite a bit. The "lite" version will be closer to the RX480 but in DX11 games I expect it to be ahead and it should clearly win when both cards are overclocked. In DX12 the Radeons will probably win but overall IMO we will see the nVidia cards ahead by a fair bit.
(08-28-2016, 08:35 PM)SickBeast Wrote: That all sounds great.

I really think the GTX 1060 cards are going to win by quite a bit.  The "lite" version will be closer to the RX480 but in DX11 games I expect it to be ahead and it should clearly win when both cards are overclocked.  In DX12 the Radeons will probably win but overall IMO we will see the nVidia cards ahead by a fair bit.

Well, I guess I can just forget about writing the evaluation now

:P

You might have given the ending and the conclusion away.  Spoiler!
:-/

And then, maybe not ... I'll keep on writing
:D
What I'm wondering is if nvidia will release some type of "ti" card. A GTX 1060 Ti would probably be amazing. They have a bit of a gap in that part of their lineup. They could sell it for $299 and I'm sure it would probably sell like hotcakes.

I'm also wondering if you could test a few games in 4k with the 3gb card to see if the memory limitations hold the card back. GTA V in 4k would probably be an excellent test.
(08-28-2016, 10:48 PM)SickBeast Wrote: What I'm wondering is if nvidia will release some type of "ti" card. A GTX 1060 Ti would probably be amazing. They have a bit of a gap in that part of their lineup. They could sell it for $299 and I'm sure it would probably sell like hotcakes.

I'm also wondering if you could test a few games in 4k with the 3gb card to see if the memory limitations hold the card back. GTA V in 4k would probably be an excellent test.

I think they can fill the gap between the GTX 1060 and the GTX 1070 or else they would have already released the GTX 1060 as Ti to differentiate it from the 3GB version which is cut down slightly.

And there is no need to test any games in 4K with it since we may possibly conclude several things about possible memory management from testing at 2560x1440 without needing to test higher. The 3GB version is not a 4K card and there is no SLI; it is aimed at 1920x1080. It is $199 - EVGA's entry level GTX 1060-3GB price matches the $199 price of the RX 470 as PowerColor's Red Devil. And it is again 3GB vs 4GB vRAM for midrange gaming cards. But clearly differentiated from the GTX 1050 or RX 460 series