• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's happening at BTR .. and report issues here
(02-14-2015, 07:06 PM)SickBeast Wrote: The whole arrangement makes no sense. Why should Dave own the domain while you write all the articles? Shouldn't you at least own half? It's a shame that he allowed this to happen to ABT. You had worked so hard over the years and had good ad revenue coming in. I feel really bad for you Mark. It's going to take some time to get this site up to the same level in terms of traffic and revenue.

No, it doesn't make any sense.  I tried to get Dave to agree to a written contract with me after I got advertising for us over a year ago, but he kept putting it off.

However, I don't hold any bad feelings. Just extreme disappointment with Dave. I am here now on a unbroken site; I have my all of writing and benching skills, top hardware for review, and my industry contacts, and I am not held back any longer by deadweight.

I'm free and you are free to join me and to help build this site.  BTR will grow and all of my old articles will eventually be restored and some of them will even be reworked and updated.  This site will become what ABT was meant to be.  It just takes time and I am here to put in the hard work.  

(That is, I'll get back to benching right after I first plant 4 more trees today; then I am done with in-ground tree planting .. two more apple trees, a cherry and a walnut)
:)
Mark I just really don't understand why you ever let him basically own the website when you were the one doing all the work. How much is it to register a domain? $20? Hosting costs like $3/month. I'm glad that you were able to do it all yourself this time but it really seems like you got a raw deal with Dave at ABT.
(02-15-2015, 06:38 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Mark I just really don't understand why you ever let him basically own the website when you were the one doing all the work. How much is it to register a domain? $20? Hosting costs like $3/month. I'm glad that you were able to do it all yourself this time but it really seems like you got a raw deal with Dave at ABT.

We started as a TEAM - Amit, Dave, Karan, Leon, & me.  We made NO money  for 6 years until I negotiated an ad contract with Nvidia.  During that time, Dave paid for ABT hosting along with his own vanity sites that were on the same host.  He also purchased a couple of video cards for ABT and posted one review that I rewrote for him.  I ran the entire front end, wrote most of the articles, trained writers, and acted as editor-in-chief as well as the only one who actually brought ABT a lucrative ad contract.

There was never any problem between us as long as no money was involved. He has the ABT bank account solely in his name as is the ABT LLC; and we made thousands of dollars from the Nvidia ad contract that I negotiated for ABT.  Dave has consistently refused to negotiate a written contract with me once we started to make money, and he will not show me the books. When the site went down, he called it "his" site and he said was considering selling it no matter what I thought.

ABT is still broken after TWO MONTHS.  He cannot fix it.  I am disappointed with Dave in the extreme and I am putting my energy into BTR.
Well hopefully you can negotiate a smaller ad contact with nvidia at this point until your traffic levels increase. I'm sure that they will continue to work with you. They were always really good to ABT.

What is our traffic like here compared to ABT before it went down?
I don't even look at traffic although all of my articles and blogs are SEO friendly and I am going to enable the usual Youtube, twitter and FB plugins.

But let me state my purpose and BTR's purpose here:

Quote:BTR is a NON-PROFIT site. It is my HOBBY site. I am not going to have ANY ads for this year no matter where our traffic goes. I have the means to support it myself and will buy the hardware and games necessary to support my reviews. I will be glad to continue to accept hardware for review as loaners or as additions to the BTR library for future comparisons.

At a time in the future, if traffic increases and this site surpasses ABT in every way, then I will consider making it into a ad-supported site to expand it further. At that point, if there is a growing and active community, I will consider expanding my original vision of the first 21st Century forum.
I just looked at ABT's new forum and saw no changes with the awful raw state it is in since I first signed up.  No progress.  

To get ABT going properly, let's look at the options and what is needed:

--- (1) ABT  absolutely *needs* a web master.  There is no way around it.  Either Dave will (a) learn to do it himself or (b) convince someone to do it for free.  If not, then it should be shut down or sold or given away.

--- (2) If ABT acquires a web master, then the owner will need to (a) negotiate a written contract with his partner.  There is no option B.

It's simple and the solution has been explained over-and-over.   However, because of the inaction of ABT's owner over two months, the ad contract was lost along with thousands of ad dollars that were coming in.  
This place will grow, it's only a matter of time.
Yes. Thank-you.

I just wanted to set the record straight and explain why BTR has become my focus instead of ABT.

I feel really bad that ABT ended up this way and I want to apologize to each one of its members and readers for my part in it.
:(

I feel that I have learned from my mistakes and can make a much better site that will be even more responsive to its community and readers.

And I thank all of you for reading and supporting ABT over this long journey that began in the Summer of '08 and is ongoing with BTR.
Oh man
Huh

Did I say something wrong?

I really do mean to apologize for the way ABT ended up.  It is not just "Dave's fault"

There are two of us and we could not agree.  I am sure he has his side but I don't know what it is other that he probably thinks he is the victim of circumstances.