• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's happening at BTR .. and report issues here
Well this site has already become much better and more successful than xbitlabs actually. It's very sad to see what has happened to them. No new news or articles in months now. Something must have happened. They used to be my favorite site.
(01-31-2015, 08:01 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Well this site has already become much better and more successful than xbitlabs actually. It's very sad to see what has happened to them. No new news or articles in months now. Something must have happened. They used to be my favorite site.

Really?  What happened to Xbitlabs?  I haven't had much time over the past few months to look at much else besides BTR.
:s

I just looked and their forum is active although the site isn't. I wonder if something similar happened to ABT
http://forum.xbitlabs.com/
(01-31-2015, 08:51 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(01-31-2015, 08:01 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Well this site has already become much better and more successful than xbitlabs actually. It's very sad to see what has happened to them. No new news or articles in months now. Something must have happened. They used to be my favorite site.

Really?  What happened to Xbitlabs?  I haven't had much time over the past few months to look at much else besides BTR.
:s

I just looked and their forum is active although the site isn't. I wonder if something similar happened to ABT
http://forum.xbitlabs.com/
I have no idea what happened to them, I could not find any information on it anywhere. They certainly haven't announced anything on their forum which I find quite strange. I would think that people would start asking questions about it. It's sad. They had some of the best tech news out there.
Well, I am getting a little more familiar with WordPress. I got my own automatic back-ups going to my DropBox account, and I have updated everything ... and the site is still up and running - without any other outside help. Hopefully I can keep this going . . .

:D

Phew
Blush

Now that maintenance and back-up is fully done for BTR's first month, I can get back to ... "work" ...

.... benching CoD:AW, MGS and Ryse (the last one is work :P )
-- we'll have 31 benchmarks ... I'll have to retire one
:)
Well, it looks like it is confirmed that Dave has absolutely no business sense whatsoever.   He emailed me at 4:18 AM to say that he doesn't think it is worth keeping ABT up for $420 per year - and I finally agree with him - he doesn't deserve to be its owner any longer.
Quote:The new ISP is $35 a month I don't see any reason to keep the site up at all since you started another site and forum.
And he continues to blame me. "since you started another site and forum".

He says much the same thing on his forum
http://alienbabeltech.com/abt/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=114186#p114186

If I didn't start BTR on my own, nothing different with ABT would have happened.  It now appears that Dave doesn't like the fact that the situation has changed and that I am no longer beholden to him holding ABT's purse strings.  When the site crashed we had well over $2000 cash in the ABT bank account and and an active ad contract bringing in over $1000 a month that WE had to cancel because DAVE didn't pay up to $500 for someone competent to fix ABT.  Nor would he allow me to pay to fix it or to buy it from him.

But there is a new and much improved BabelTech that I am committed to.  And it is a site that most of you will find much less Alien.
Like I just posted over there, most of us didn't have the first clue the new forum was up and running because nobody posted as much in the old forum and the new forum is on a different link (and my ABT bookmark goes directly to the (old) forums).

Dave can't complain about lack of activity if nobody knew what he had done!

What you could do to rescue the situation might be to offer to host the old ABT forum here at BTR and use BTR as a secondary place to host reviews and host the old forums, then Dave can save his $35 (which is silly since advertising will cover that easily from what you have said once ABT picks up speed again).
I did not intend originally to be a partner with him.  We started with a TEAM (Amit the Web Master, I was EiC, there was Karan and Leon and soon we added BFG10K). Dave was to be ABT's Political Editor and was to host ABT since he had several minor sites at the time on a decent host.  Dave's wife, Debi, was to be the marketing person.

I do not feel bad.  I personally started with absolutely nothing but a dream.  I got Dave involved and then I put the rest of the ABT team together.  I learned a LOT. I set up the paying ad contracts for ABT by myself and learned all about advertising. And now I am learning to be BTR's web master.

The good news is that I can restore at BTR (over time) every single article that I ever wrote - I directly own the IP of over 80% of ABT's published articles and blogs.  I have industry connections and the largest benching suite anywhere and the reviews should keep coming - and improve with FCAT!  I no longer have the terrible support that Dave offered me at ABT - it is now first class support!
:D
The biggest problem I see is now what was once the ABT community is now split across two sites and most of the former community is gone (they either think ABT is still broken or don't know BTR exists).

If this keeps on for much longer there will be nothing to salvage. The content may be there, but (next to) nobody using it.
(02-14-2015, 02:37 PM)gstanford Wrote: What you could do to rescue the situation might be to offer to host the old ABT forum here at BTR and use BTR as a secondary place to host reviews and host the old forums, then Dave can save his $35 (which is silly since advertising will cover that easily from what you have said once ABT picks up speed again).
I offered - multiple times - to BUY ABT from Dave.  He won't consider any reasonable offer.

It is his choice since he owns the domain and it appears that he would much rather let ABT rot.  I am not going to take him to court over the forum database since my reviews can be restored and republished here without any issue.

Once ABT started to make money, Dave lost his way IMO.  Perhaps we should have stayed a hobby site forever - but that was not our original goal.  It is really too bad that he has shown no business sense at all.
:(

(02-14-2015, 03:13 PM)gstanford Wrote: The biggest problem I see is now what was once the ABT community is now split across two sites and most of the former community is gone (they either think ABT is still broken or don't know BTR exists).

If this keeps on for much longer there will be nothing to salvage.  The content may be there, but (next to) nobody using it.
There is nothing left to salvage now or I would be fighting for it. ABT is still broken despite Dave's fantasy that is fine. He cannot back up the site and if it crashes again, it will stay crashed since he doesn't have the ability to fix it himself nor does he see any value in paying someone else.

I made the right choice to start completely over here.  We have the genesis of a brand new community here.  It is up to me to write compelling reviews that bring readers to BTR and perhaps some of them may wish to join and give their opinion here.

I have a long term view of this site.  I want to take what made ABT successful and grow it here.  I am committed to it for as long as I am able to write.
The whole arrangement makes no sense. Why should Dave own the domain while you write all the articles? Shouldn't you at least own half? It's a shame that he allowed this to happen to ABT. You had worked so hard over the years and had good ad revenue coming in. I feel really bad for you Mark. It's going to take some time to get this site up to the same level in terms of traffic and revenue.