• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's happening at BTR .. and report issues here
(01-31-2015, 02:52 AM)apoppin Wrote: Or just start off with the community Index so you always see the latest activity

http://www.babeltechreviews.com/community/index.php

And now I have to ask, What's happening at ABT?"

The old forum is dead, the new one is up and active but no one can log in; I gave Dave suggestions to get some help with it ... and it is still hanging.
:(

It's really sad. We had built up a really nice community there and now some of the best members have not come over here (yet). I really think BoFox and Ocre are both great and I would like to see them here.

It's great that you were able to get things working here so quickly. I really like what you've done with the place, Mark. :)
Just for the record, I'm able to log in to ABT's new forum just fine.
Maybe my account got borked somehow.

I don't like the idea of two forums actually. We need to get everyone over here IMO. It's dead over there. The technical problems have completely killed the site. We can give it some time to see who comes back over there but it doesn't look good to me, it's very sad.
Quote:It's great that you were able to get things working here so quickly. I really like what you've done with the place, Mark.
Thank-you.  I don't care for the idea of two separate forums neither. I had no intention to set one up here originally at all. The situation with ABT is very painful for me as one of its primary founders with 6 years of hard work into it.

I simply don't understand WtH Dave is waiting for.  For Mario to do it for free for him?  Dave has been treating ABT as "his site" and doesn't care for any advice from me.  

Is Dave just too cheap to spend any money on ABT?  Or learn over 6 years how to do it himself? The site used to make money, decent money.  We had an advertising contract with Nvidia when the site crashed and money was coming in but Dave just let it rot.  He has a host and has restored all of his other sites - but not ABT.  He moved it to a new host, but now what?  It has just been sitting for 6 weeks since the crash and is no more useful today than back in mid-December.

I am not sure that I care to go back to ABT with such crappy support, and especially with someone who has such a poor understanding of how to run a business.  6 weeks is an eternity for a site to stay broken. If I repost all of my articles there, it could be a giant waste of my time as there is no guarantee that ABT will not crash and burn again since Dave isn't going to change.

I am going to put my energy into BTR. I am retired and at least now I don't need to get permission to spend money on my own site now, if necessary.  If BTR crashes, I am not going to sit on my hands and/or wait for anyone like Dave does with ABT.  I might restore *all* of my 6 years of articles here ... as soon as I have time.  ... I am also stuck in a holding pattern regarding ABT
Blush
(01-31-2015, 09:16 AM)apoppin Wrote:
Quote:It's great that you were able to get things working here so quickly. I really like what you've done with the place, Mark.
Thank-you.  I don't care for the idea of two separate forums neither. I had no intention to set one up here originally at all.  The situation with ABT is very painful for me as one of its primary founders with 6 years of hard work into it.

I simply don't understand WtH Dave is waiting for.  For Mario to do it for free for him?  Dave has been treating ABT as "his site" and doesn't care for any advice from me.  

Is Dave just too cheap to spend any money on ABT?  Or learn over 6 years how to do it himself? The site used to make money, decent money.  We had an advertising contract with Nvidia when the site crashed and money was coming in but Dave just let it rot.  He has a host and has restored all of his other sites - but not ABT.  He moved it to a new host, but now what?  It has just been sitting for 6 weeks since the crash and is no more useful today than back in mid-December.

I am not sure that I care to go back to ABT with such crappy support, and especially with someone who has such a poor understanding of how to run a business.  6 weeks is an eternity for a site to stay broken. If I repost all of my articles there, it could be a giant waste of my time as there is no guarantee that ABT will not crash and burn again since Dave isn't going to change.

I am going to put my energy into BTR. I am retired and at least now I don't need to get permission to spend money on my own site now, if necessary.  If BTR crashes, I am not going to sit on my hands and/or wait for anyone like Dave does with ABT.  I might restore *all* of my 6 years of articles here ... as soon as I have time.  ... I am also stuck in a holding pattern regarding ABT
Blush
Hopefully nVidia will move their advertising over to here. That's really a shame.
It took me nearly 6 years to get a major advertising contract for ABT.  Right now, BTR is getting only about 1000 unique visitors a month (which is ahead of where ABT was after its first month).  So it will be quite awhile before any advertiser is interested.

Fortunately, no one is holding me back any longer, and BTR doesn't need advertising.  I have learned quite a bit over the past 6-7 years and I have a small retirement income to provide for me and for this site independently.
:)

Quote:I'm able to log in to ABT's new forum just fine.
Not me.  The account resets generate a PW but the login doesn't work.  From looking at what little Dave bothers to update the members with, it looks like he has the same issues or there would be a redirect from the old forum to the new one.

I know what busy is and really busy is and I also worked full time; I just finally retired to my own projects in December.  But 6 weeks of doing nothing (that anyone can see) is absolutely ridiculous and I have to assume he doesn't really care.  I got a complete new site and forum up with some help in less than a week.  And there are twenty updated and new articles up in one month.

Dodgy
I feel really bad for you that you lost a great advertising contract like that. I would be upset as well. I still find it incomprehensible that no one had a single backup. I realize that it was 40gb but that should have been done at least once a week. All of this mess could have been avoided.

You know what, though? I actually like BTR better than ABT. The forums have a nicer and better interface and I prefer the look of the main page. You still seem to be getting great hardware to review so it's only a matter of time before you get more traffic. I'm really happy for you getting everything going on your own. I would feel very proud and excited if I were you right now.
(01-31-2015, 07:04 PM)SickBeast Wrote: I feel really bad for you that you lost a great advertising contract like that.  I would be upset as well. I still find it incomprehensible that no one had a single backup.  I realize that it was 40gb but that should have been done at least once a week. All of this mess could have been avoided.

You know what, though? I actually like BTR better than ABT. The forums have a nicer and better interface and I prefer the look of the main page. You still seem to be getting great hardware to review so it's only a matter of time before you get more traffic. I'm really happy for you getting everything going on your own. I would feel very proud and excited if I were you right now.

Dave got really offended when I called him sloppy on ABT forum.  But I call it like it is.  He is sloppy regarding ABT although he will disagree with me.  I asked for a back-up about a week before the crash (and was assured it was made).  Damn right I am still pissed as we lost thousands of dollars of ad revenue scheduled for 2015 because he didn't pay someone a couple of hundred dollars to fix the site right away - the money for the repair is in ABT's bank account still; he considers it his money now.  

He still balks at formalizing a written contract between us.  He technically "owns" ABT and I recently found out that he unilaterally considers his ownership exclusive even though he isn't very serious about doing any effective work himself.  Unless you consider that new forum "progress" after 6 weeks.

I can see why he doesn't care - It wasn't Dave's work that got erased due to his sloppiness - he was supposed to take care of the back end as I took care of the front end.  It was my work that needed days of restoration; all he lost was some forum posts.  AND then he blamed ME for "pushing" him to move from the garbage host(s) that we had as being the reason for the crash (never mind he picked his Internet friend's host which I strongly disagreed with; MadGenius is an awful host with no support whatsoever).  Dave only wrote one or two blogs in 6.5 years.  Originally, he was to have been the Political Editor and was expected to blog regularly.

So now you know how I feel about the ABT crash and why I set up BTR.  IF ABT ever comes back up and IF I get a contract with Dave, we will have two separate sites that can cross-support each other.  If not ... no problem.  There is a working site and forum here that I will support for as long as I can.  It is why I am retired now and it is what I love to do.  I am very proud and excited to have a new project completely under my control.  However, it is going to take a lot of work to build BTR into the site it will become.  And we did lose some industry support with the crash.  It will not be easy.  Thank-you for your support!
Well you may be able to gain access to AMD hardware this way so it could work out better. Losing nvidia is a big deal though. Will they still send you the super high end hardware you were getting before?
AMD will know that I am still the reviewer, so that is highly unlikely.  However, I have a budget for AMD hardware this year (390X) and for next year, and several of AMD's partners send us cards (or will, when BTR's traffic increases). I may have to buy Broadwell myself, but I have budgeted for it for 2016. Haswell Devil's Canyon 4970K will have to do until then (and will do fine).

Nvidia sent us a GTX 960 and a couple of their reps have commented positively on BTR. And I think GALAX will continue to support us; at least I better have this evaluation up before Monday.
Blush

I am hoping that I can get an invitation to Nvidia's GTC in March. I asked. And I am still doing reviews on a very capable Intel platform, benching more games for evaluation than any other tech site AFAIK.  The only thing BTR lacks is traffic .. and that will change as more and more new and older reworked articles get posted.