• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calculating % differences in reviews
I just looked. I gave the results wrong by switching the results for CalculatorSoup with Marshu

Fixed the OP

http://www.marshu.com/articles/calculate...ulator.php
e.g. GTX 1080 69.5 vs TITAN X 82.2 = 18.3% performance change

And this one is similar, but it gives different results

http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculator...ulator.php
e.g. GTX 1080 69.5 vs TITAN X 82.2 =
16.7% difference

By using a calculator, I get results the same as Mashu
Quote:To calculate the percentage increase: First: work out the difference (increase) between the two numbers you are comparing. Then: divide the increase by the original number and multiply the answer by 100. If your answer is a negative number then this is a percentage decrease.

(08-07-2016, 03:24 PM)SickBeast Wrote: No problem!  Good luck finishing up the article!  Let me know for your next one and I will help you automate it in Excel.

Thanks. I will basically use two Excel Charts. One will be like usual, the other will have just the averages. It will be easy to do as I enter the numbers (twice)

I think I figured it out. It DEPENDS on WHAT I am trying to show

Well, one card is faster than the other. So we could show the performance increase or the performance difference.

Which one is more meaningful? I think it depends on what we are comparing.

As long as we label it correctly (increase or difference) is the most important thing.

I am thinking "difference" between the 1080 and the Titan X (Calculator Soup)

In the next article, Maxwell Titan X vs Pascal Titan X, we would use "percentage increase" (Mashu)

Right?
I like percentage increase.
Maxwell Titan X 100% vs Titan XP 133% = 33% faster.
Easier to understand.
(08-07-2016, 08:16 PM)happy medium Wrote: I like percentage increase.
Maxwell Titan X 100% vs Titan XP 133% = 33% faster.
Easier to understand.

Agreed for Maxwell Titan X vs. Titan Pascal. Percentage increase definitely!
(and more like 60% according to Nvidia)
Quote:The Percentage Change Calculator will quantify the change from one number to another and express the change as an increase or decrease.

From 10 apples to 20 apples is a 100% increase in apples.

This calculator will be most commonly used when there is an “old” and “new” number or an “initial” and “final” value. A positive change is expressed as an increase amount of the percentage value while a negative change is expressed as a decrease amount of the absolute value of the percentage value.

However, for GTX 1080 vs Titan Pascal, I prefer to run % of difference. That will be tonight's evaluation.
(wait and see - I was somewhat surprised by the % of difference)
Quote:The Percentage Difference Calculator will find the percent difference between two numbers. Percentage difference is usually calculated when you want to know the difference in percentage between two numbers. For this calculator, the order of the numbers does not matter as we are simply dividing the difference between two numbers by the average of the two numbers.

What do you think?
So your saying if Doom nets 50fps for the 1080 and 75 fps for the Titan XP, then the percentage difference is 33%?

I'm no math guru.
(08-08-2016, 12:28 AM)happy medium Wrote: So your saying if Doom nets 50fps for the 1080 and 75 fps for the Titan XP, then the percentage difference is 33%?

I'm no math guru.

Actually the difference is 40%:

Quote:Calculate percentage difference
between V1 = 50 and V2 = 75

( | V1 - V2 | / ((V1 + V2)/2) ) * 100

= ( | 50 - 75 | / ((50 + 75)/2) ) * 100
= ( | -25 | / (125/2) ) * 100
= ( 25 / 62.5 ) * 100
= 0.4 * 100

= 40% difference  

Or from Google Search
Quote:To calculate the percentage increase: First: work out the difference (increase) between the two numbers you are comparing. Then: divide the increase by the original number and multiply the answer by 100. If your answer is a negative number then this is a percentage decrease.

This may help and check out the examples
https://www.mathsisfun.com/percentage-difference.html

So let's do this (algebra) by hand following the 4 steps below:

Quote:How to Calculate

Step 1: Calculate the difference (subtract one value form the other) ignore any negative sign
Step 2: Calculate the average (add the values, then divide by 2)
Step 3: Divide the difference by the average
Step 3: Convert that to a percentage (by multiplying by 100 and adding a "%" sign)
Now your example
1. 75-50 = 25 (the difference between fps)
2. 75+50=125/2=62.5 (the average fps of both values summed; i.e. 125 divided by 2)
3. 25/62.5=0.4 (the difference in fps -25- divided by the average fps 62.5)
4. 0.4x100=40% (multiply by 100 to get the percentage)

OK?  I'm sorry for the slow answer, but I am finishing up my article for publication tonight
Blush

See why I never wanted to do this by hand.  There are several steps and I can make easy mistakes.  BUT -  With a handy-dandy net calculator, you just plug in the values - and voila!
:D