• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enter to Win HERE - BTR's July Contest [Updated]
(07-18-2016, 05:00 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(07-18-2016, 04:54 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Well if the RX480 can hit ~1500mhz, it will be competitive with the GTX 1060.

How far can the GTX 1060 overclock?  If it overclocks 15-20% it will maintain the same gap it does stock to stock right now.  And it will maintain the same electricity savings advantage.
;)

Clearly the delay with the AIB 480s is because of a supply issue with the GPUs.   The reference versions are really hard to find.  I guess I was lucky to get one at all.
:(
Well, I'm just saying that 1500mhz on the RX480 represents an 18% overclock. Realistically I can't see the GTX 1060 overclocking more than that in terms of percentage. There was a report of one hitting 2.1ghz but I doubt most cards will hit that speed. With the latest drivers it looks like the performance delta is only 10%. So things are looking better for AMD, particularly if the aftermarket cards can overclock well (which I doubt). Even if they don't overclock, AMD will be able to compete based on price like they always have.
I hope so also. Nvidia needs a little competition and AMD needs to survive.
I will be shocked if the aftermarket RX480 cards overclock well. It could happen though.
I have hope.

It springs eternal
:D
(07-18-2016, 05:28 PM)SickBeast Wrote: I will be shocked if the aftermarket RX480 cards overclock well.  It could happen though.

I believe they will. 1425 MHz on average is my guess.

I think AMD released their 480's when they were not quite ready.
The initial batch of cards which sold out quickly was their A-1 silicon.
That's why they are hard to buy right now.

The next batch of cards , the AIB cards, should match up better with the 1060.
I dont think we will see AIB 480 cards when the 1060 launches. They will be released about 2 to 3 weeks after, with a higher clocking bios to match the faster 1060's speed.

I believe its the 380 vs the 960 4gb contest all over again.
The AIB 480 will be slightly ahead @ stock and the 1060 will match it or beat it when both are overclocked.

Once again memory bandwidth will hamper the 1060's overclock.
A good memory overclock will make it the winner.
You're probably right.

I am just getting to the GTX 1060 again. I messed up Just Cause 3 settings across the board (which means the comparison was still valid, but they were not set to max. Now it is corrected).

So I will be able to spend some time with the 1060 overclock this afternoon and set the highest stable clocks and play a few test games (like GTA V) which are sensitive to overclocking to make sure it is accurate. But the next evaluation (due Friday or Saturday) covers overclocking of the 1060 vs the 480 vs the 980. And I'll set fan speeds to 100% on the 480 to simulate mild/moderate AIB overclocks.

This is the first time that I am not super-time pressured ... Nvidia gave us plenty of time with the GTX 1060 this time (while I expect they are stocking it with etailers behind the scenes).
6907 is my new guess.
So that's it, we're cut off right? Those are the final guesses?
I just had my first hard lockup overclocking. So I found my 1060's limit. Now to find stability, and then the memory overclock.
Interesting. We will see who wins. :)