• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BTR teams up with Tech of Tomorrow
I have teamed up with the original Doc Overclocker, Elric Phares, and extremely popular Youtube channel Tech of Tomorrow to work together. They will use my benches in selected video reviews and link to BTR, and I will feature their videos in some of my reviews. It works well since they don't have a tech site, and I don't have a Youtube channel. It is complementary.

Check out their latest video (at the end, 4:50) where Elric introduces me to his audience. I expect this will be very good for both of our respective sites. LMK what you think. And BTR is moving back into the top 200K on Alexa before the announcement, so our popularity is increasing anyway.

I believe this will be a new trend for video-based channels to team up with tech sites, if we are successful as I believe we are (among) the first to do so. Video channels lack a lot of detail that traditional tech sites offer; and most tech sites lack video for those who demand a short visual summary. It is very hard to be good at both media and it takes a long time to do either print or video successfully.

That's awesome! I have watched his videos before. This is really going to help BTR grow. Great idea! :)
(06-11-2016, 02:49 PM)SickBeast Wrote: That's awesome!  I have watched his videos before.  This is really going to help BTR grow.  Great idea! :)

We met in Austin at Nvidia's Pascal launch, and we have a lot in common besides being dedicated hardcore surfers (we both regularly surfed Huntington Beach). We both like to innovate and bring new and good things for our audience. He misses his old tech site but no longer has time for it as his Youtube channel is incredibly popular, and I have always wanted to bring video reviews to BTR. On top of that, he lives geographically close in SoCal, and is moving even closer - a relatively short drive away from each others' homes. This will make it very easy to collaborate on our reviews.

If it works, it will be win-win for both of us and for our respective sites and communities.
Cool
That's really great! I just really hope for your sake that this partnership works out better than your old one. I know people that say you should never join a partnership because it can lead to a lot of problems, as you know. I suppose in this case you can both just go your separate ways if things don't work out. You can just both stop featuring each other's content on your respective sites/channels. It sounds very promising I just hope he doesn't try to take advantage of you!
(06-11-2016, 03:07 PM)SickBeast Wrote: That's really great!  I just really hope for your sake that this partnership works out better than your old one.  I know people that say you should never join a partnership because it can lead to a lot of problems, as you know.  I suppose in this case you can both just go your separate ways if things don't work out.  You can just both stop featuring each other's content on your respective sites/channels.  It sounds very promising I just hope he doesn't try to take advantage of you!

It isn't really a partnership in the traditional sense although we are working together. I am contributing my benchmarks to his channel, and in exchange, he is linking to my site. There is really no extra work for me. And he can expand his benching from ten games or so to 25. Best of all, there is no conflict of interest as I don't have a Youtube channel and he doesn't have tech site - so by teaming up, should be able to enrich both of our sites.

We have let our vendors know; he has got approval from his producers, and everyone agrees it is OK. So ... why not? I don't really see any downside and if it somehow turns out that we are temperamentally unsuited to working together, we can back back away and return to what we were doing before. There are no contracts to sign. Just an agreement to make each of our sites better by working together.

If it works, I see this as a possible new trend for traditional tech sites and Youtube channels to work together. This could benefit everyone - especially our respective audiences - by a simple expansion.
-- You may have noticed that I like to innovate. It is just not generally easy to do so.
:D
That sounds great. :)

How are things going with the new forum "feature"?
(06-11-2016, 03:18 PM)SickBeast Wrote: That sounds great. :)

How are things going with the new forum "feature"?

I haven't been pursuing it as aggressively as I would like to. The part of the company I am considering working with is based in India and they are slow to respond. They are software engineers and working on a massive project of which my part is a releatively small one.

I find that everything works in its own time. If one tries to "force" something, all one gets is frustration. If it happens, I will work to implement it here quickly. If not, there are plenty of other things for me to do to improve BTR and its community. I am still hopeful, however, as this new feature would change everything about tech site communities for the better.
We may have to postpone working together for a couple of more weeks. I'll let you know what happens.
Hmm. Good luck!
Thanks! I can always use some Good luck.

But even with ordinary luck, I believe that BTR will succeed. We have come a very long way in 18 short months - starting all over again from zero.