• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's happening at BTR 4 .. and report issues here
(04-30-2016, 03:48 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Apparently it can be difficult to get a high CPU overclock with Haswell while simultaneously running high speed RAM like I am doing.  It has been quite stable for me though and I think I can nail it down with a few tweaks like I am doing.  We will see.

Apparently the price of DDR3 and DDR4 is going to start going back up in June.  So load up if you need some!  I'm still holding onto my old set.  I think I might let it go up in value before I sell it. :)
I remember suggesting that to you.
;)

I have several kits of 8GB and 16GB DDR3. I don't think I will ever need 32GB. Maybe with DDR4.
Yes. :)

I'm quite lucky that I made a good bet on the price of DDR3. I had been looking for a deal quite diligently and when it finally came up I'm glad I jumped on it. It went OOS right after I bought my 2nd set as well. :)

This rig should last me for *years* now and I can even go with SLI or Crossfire now. My CPU at 4.5ghz with a pair of Polaris or Pascal GPUs should be a gaming beast and it should even been good enough for 4k gaming. I'm really excited. Then I will just need a 4k TV. :)
Yes, you have a very nice PC and will have a beast once you upgrade your video card.

If you get a 4K TV, make sure you hold out for HDR
http://www.babeltechreviews.com/nab-beauty/
[Image: Untitled-2-4.jpg?w=462]

I'll have Andy's latest up within the hour and it is very relevant also as he went to the latest NAB
(04-30-2016, 03:46 PM)apoppin Wrote: Memtest is a very rough test.  I would not depend on it other than to set initial settings.

Since Sandy Bridge, a lot of tweaking is required to maintain a stable overclock.   That is why I leave my Devil's Canyon i7-4790K at the default overclock that the ASUS MB allows.  Stability is absolutely crucial to someone who benchmarks.

You really don't gain that much from a CPU or RAM overclock.  It is not like overclocking a videocard.

Good luck.

Modern intel chips get a lot of their performance increase from improvements intel made to the ring-bus that links everything together.

You can have a fast core but if it is hamstrung by slow caches like AMD's are then you don't get the full benefit. Everything needs to work together.
I thought about overclocking my cache but everything I have read says that it is pointless and it can lead to instability. I think my cache is running at 3.5ghz which is stock. There are a few benchmarks that benefit from a faster cache but generally overclocking it makes no difference AFAIK.

And yes, apoppin, thanks for that. I will wait for HDR. I'm not in a rush for 4k. I can wait a couple more years if I have to. What I will probably do is buy one Polaris/Pascal GPU and then when I'm ready for 4k I will add in a second GPU for Crossfire/SLI. Then I will buy my TV.
There is no need to. The cache is already pretty fast, way faster than what AMD's chips can manage and it communicates well with the cores thanks to the ring bus, messing with the timings/speeds only throws everything out of whack. If intel could reliably make the cache faster without increasing the costs they would.
(04-30-2016, 04:44 PM)gstanford Wrote: There is no need to.  The cache is already pretty fast, way faster than what AMD's chips can manage and it communicates well with the cores thanks to the ring bus, messing with the timings/speeds only throws everything out of whack.  If intel could reliably make the cache faster without increasing the costs they would.

Totally agreed. Intel's CPUs are already well optimized.

And speaking of DDR3 being cheap. $50 (no rebate) for 16GB at Newegg!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820226684&ignorebbr=1&nm
Why I am not going to benchmark Hitman until the entire game is released:
http://www.techpowerup.com/222100/hitman...12-support
Quote:The latest update for the episodic "Hitman" game (version 1.1.2) breaks support for DirectX 12 on the PC platform. Released earlier this week, the update introduces players to the second episode based in the Medeterranean setting of Sapienza. We found that after the update, the game simply refused to start. We took advantage of the external settings tool to do some trial-and-error work.

The topmost setting, which lets you select between DirectX 12 (our original setting) and DirectX 11, fixed the issue, when we switched to the latter. We even swapped graphics cards between GeForce GTX 970 SLI (our original setup), GTX 970 single-card (NVIDIA driver 364.96), and Radeon R9 290 (AMD driver 16.4.2). Neither setups worked

And I certainly won't ever bother with Quantum Broken :P
-- MS garbage
I won't be purchasing Hitman until all episodes are released and the disc containing the lot is also released. I won't support this periodic release crap.
This thread is closed. The discussion may continue in Part 5
http://www.babeltechreviews.com/communit...hp?tid=582