• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's happening at BTR 4 .. and report issues here
I'll either post the chart here or the full evaluation in the morning. I am going to try and get some sleep. My leg is still too swollen to even sit up for long. I need to get past the chances of a secondary infection before I can relax about the knee.

As to the light ... I think it is a bit too early for me to find out about it yet
Angel
No no, not that light. Stay away from that light. :)

I bought a bunch of Call of Duty games last night as well for cheap. They look really good with VSR and some AA for good measure and my 280x doesn't even spin up and it keeps the games pegged at 60fps.

I have quite the gaming collection now! I never had any of the COD or AC games before.
(01-30-2016, 01:54 PM)SickBeast Wrote: No no, not that light.  Stay away from that light. :)

I bought a bunch of Call of Duty games last night as well for cheap.  They look really good with VSR and some AA for good measure and my 280x doesn't even spin up and it keeps the games pegged at 60fps.

I have quite the gaming collection now!  I never had any of the COD or AC games before.

When will you have time to play? It sounds like you have many games that you will never play - I have been in this situation for a few years
Dodgy
Every Saturday morning from 8am until 11am I can game now. My daughter has ballet class and my son goes rock climbing. I have typically been sleeping in, however I have realized that this is messing up my sleep cycle and it's way more fun gaming on a Saturday morning. :)
Well you have some time scheduled for yourself and your gaming. I can't quite do that for me yet.
:(

Andy's latest. It's a good one about the supposed death of the PC
http://www.babeltechreviews.com/its-gett...w-devices/
Interesting. I don't think PCs are dead. Actually from what I gather, smartphone sales are starting to really slow down because people don't notice any difference with the newest phones. Things have started to stagnate. And now this year we are going to see Pascal and Polaris GPUs, plus Intel has 10 core 20 thread Broadwell-E CPUs coming out that are going to be a drop-in upgrade for X99 platform users. So we are seeing some good progress.

There was a time when I thought PCs were dead but I have come back around. I think with the higher TDP they will always have a role. I just can't see a tablet or a phone pushing a demanding 4k game any time in the next 10 years. We are already seeing people doing that with current PCs and things are only going to get much better this year.
(01-30-2016, 04:50 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Interesting.  I don't think PCs are dead.  Actually from what I gather, smartphone sales are starting to really slow down because people don't notice any difference with the newest phones.  Things have started to stagnate.  And now this year we are going to see Pascal and Polaris GPUs, plus Intel has 10 core 20 thread Broadwell-E CPUs coming out that are going to be a drop-in upgrade for X99 platform users.  So we are seeing some good progress.

There was a time when I thought PCs were dead but I have come back around.  I think with the higher TDP they will always have a role.  I just can't see a tablet or a phone pushing a demanding 4k game any time in the next 10 years.  We are already seeing people doing that with current PCs and things are only going to get much better this year.

Hi res 3D gaming and productivity require a desktop. There is no way around it. And VR/AR will demand it.

Notebooks like mine can certainly do productivity - but not heavy work unless it is cloud-based. And for gaming, you are stuck with a GTX 980 (or 980 SLI) as maximum graphics in a PC notebook. It will ALWAYS be behind desktop gaming. And that goes double for mobile. It can only *compare* itself to desktop gaming as lesser. Same with CPU graphics - Intel doesn't yet comprehend it will NEVER be "good enough" as there is 4K, 5K, 8K coming and 16K is certainly doable. Then add VR/AR to it.

The kind of device you use depends on the kind of work/gaming you do. And the only all-purpose device is the PC - although it is not mobile. So until AI takes over and new tech changes everything, we are in this kind of cycle.
The major problem with the PC is that CPU development has stagnated. I am excited to hear that Intel will be releasing a 10 core 20 thread CPU this year, but it doesn't change the fact that IPC has barely improved since Sandy Bridge which came out a very long time ago. I don't know if this is largely because AMD has not been competitive or what. It seems as though they aren't getting enough out of the node shrinks. It seems like power consumption is going down, but no matter what they do they can't increase the clock speed beyond 4.0-4.5ghz. They are going to have to figure this out. CPU development is very complex. I am confident that Intel can do it, it just seems as though their engineers have been sitting on their hands for whatever reason. I am hoping that they have been holding back and they have some secret plans in the works in the event that AMD pulls a rabbit out of their hat or if sales really start to slow down.
Well, CPU development went in another direction ... to super power efficient as Intel targeted mobile instead of desktop. Sandy is from 2011 - 5 years ago. In that time, IPC has improved close to 30%, I believe, and there are a lot of new features, and drastically improved CPU graphics.

Intel is making decent progress. They are managing the challenges of smaller and smaller nodes and leading the industry in that regard. They are not sitting on their hands ... and AMD has not been really been competitive since Athlon days. That is ten years ago when Intel pulled ahead and never looked back.

What you might be doing perhaps is comparing the CPU's to the GPU's progress. The GPU simply has not been fully taped like the CPU has - and it has the advantage of being pretty large in dedicated die size, and having its own motherboard attached to it.
There is also the fact that nVidia and AMD/ATi have been going at it back and forth pretty much since 3D accelerators were invented. They have had extremely healthy competition for a very long time. I think it's easy to make excuses for Intel. The bottom line is that when you're being held down to the fire particularly like AMD's current situation, it can drive you to produce your best work. If Intel messes up, it's no big deal, they are the only game in town. If AMD messes up their next GPU design, it could spell the end of their company. So you can see the difference between a company that's pooling all their resources so that they can survive versus a huge company like Intel that is clearly only focused on making money right now. So I disagree. I feel that the lack of competition has a lot to do with it. We will see what happens when Zen comes out. If it is good then I expect Intel to either pull a rabbit out of their hat or else to really shake up the market with quad core overclockable i3 CPUs or something.