• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The GeForce 358.50 Performance Analysis featuring Ashes of the Singularity
(11-21-2015, 12:12 AM)SickBeast Wrote: How come in that game your SLI benchmarks are always the same or slower than the single card scores?  Is SLI broken in that game?  I thought you could run an AMD card and an nVidia card together in that game for some kind of crazy mixed franken SLI-fire.

Here's an interesting article on the hope of the lead dev for the Nitrous engine for multi-GPU.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/oxide-g...30665.html

It reads like a PR piece but it really shows the difficulty of pairing up dissimilar GPUs in DX12
I'm not holding my breath. I will say that DX12 looks like it will breathe new life into SLI and Crossfire. In a few years it will be very tempting to buy a pair of cards if you can find a good deal. It looks like DX12 will fix both SLI and Crossfire to the point that they will be almost as good as using a single card.
(12-03-2015, 12:59 AM)SickBeast Wrote: I'm not holding my breath.  I will say that DX12 looks like it will breathe new life into SLI and Crossfire.  In a few years it will be very tempting to buy a pair of cards if you can find a good deal.  It looks like DX12 will fix both SLI and Crossfire to the point that they will be almost as good as using a single card.
No. We are still stuck with AFR.

If you really read the interview carefully, it is an optimistic PR piece for the Nitrous engine. Nothing more and nothing less. This dev does not speak for anyone but himself - and certainly not for the industry. He is trying to sell his engine to others and get some momentum going for his game and his sponsor, AMD.

AoS is one of the very few games that it is cheap enough for AMD to back. And that's all they have left. And it is only an ALPHA demo. It may never even be released.
Yeah but if what he says is true and DX12 allows sharing the memory and if it does not rely on driver profiles then that looks very promising for multi GPU configurations.
(12-03-2015, 01:08 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Yeah but if what he says is true and DX12 allows sharing the memory and if it does not rely on driver profiles then that looks very promising for multi GPU configurations.

Sorry, no. From the Interview
Quote:Baker said that the rendering mode the game uses is a traditional symmetrical multi-GPU configuration. The game renders alternating frames to each GPU somewhat like SLI or Crossfire, which works best with GPUs that offer similar performance. This mode doesn’t work well when two GPUs have a large performance delta between them . . .

. . . Baker noted that they are currently very much in the experimental stages of figuring out how DX12 can be used with multiple GPUs from different vendors. He said that in many cases, Microsoft doesn’t have the answer to their questions, so there’s been much trial and error

AFR sucks for mGPU. It will not suck less because of DX12. And the other options he mentions are purely theoretical which are YEARS off from actually appearing in games - IF it is even feasible at all. This dev is an AMD PR man and for himself.
I still have hope.
Hope springs eternal
:)

I have hope also ... but by then, we will be using Volta and Einstein GPUs.
I am done with the Crimson drivers by tonight/tomorrow and I'll update Fallout drivers tomorrow. I haven't even started to play Rainbow 6 Siege yet
Blush
Ashes just had a series of major patches that change the game's visuals significantly. And AMD just released a new hotfix driver optimized for this benchmark -Crimson 16.1.2

I'll include the very latest AMD vs Nvidia results in my upcoming review by Monday and focus on this game, Rise of the Tomb Raider and the newly patched and upgraded Arma III. I'll include image comparisons with Ashes.
Out of beta and released today.

First review is positive

http://www.pcgamesn.com/ashes-of-the-sin...ity-review