• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drones Are Taking Off
(10-27-2015, 11:38 PM)SickBeast Wrote: I'm just wondering what would happen if they tried to deliver a 65" TV for example.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/11/29/a...e-designs/
Quote:The new prototype combines elements of a helicopter and airplane including a rear-facing propeller. Amazon claims it can fly 15 miles and can reach an altitude of nearly 400 feet. In a promotional video posted on its website, Amazon showed the drone storing a package within the fuselage rather than extended below as in a previous design.
Small packages, I guess
[Image: BN-LM158_AMAZON_G_20151129145348.jpg]

Weren't they saying that that huge drone can only deliver a pair of shoes though? I really think that these drones are going to be weight limited. They will be for small items only. I would say 10 pounds would be the absolute maximum. I could be wrong. I just think it would require a pretty big drone to lift something heavier.
(12-01-2015, 01:05 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Weren't they saying that that huge drone can only deliver a pair of shoes though?  I really think that these drones are going to be weight limited.  They will be for small items only.  I would say 10 pounds would be the absolute maximum.  I could be wrong.  I just think it would require a pretty big drone to lift something heavier.

20 pounds for current commercial drones.

http://www.babeltechreviews.com/communit...hp?tid=404&pid=4778#pid4778

I'd say that Amazon is aiming a bit higher.
Well if it makes shipping faster and cheaper I think it is a good idea so long as it's safe.

I know for me personally, though, I am much further than 15 miles away from Amazon's distribution centre in my area.
You'd have to live within 5 or so miles for the drones to return to Amazon's centers. 15 miles is the total round trip flying distance.
My guess is that Amazon will open a bunch of smaller distribution centres in large cities then. Either that or improve the range with bigger batteries on the drones. 5 miles is too short a distance.
(12-01-2015, 02:48 AM)SickBeast Wrote: My guess is that Amazon will open a bunch of smaller distribution centres in large cities then.  Either that or improve the range with bigger batteries on the drones.  5 miles is too short a distance.

Or they will have to build multiple recharging stations where batteries can be at least quickly exchanged.

Drone delivery service is still years off due to requiring government approval. In the meantime, Amazon wants to be ready and is developing their own drones and service plans.

This will have quite an effect on the delivery companies (who are no doubt developing their own drones). I expect the US postal service will continue to go into the red. Personally, I think the US government should close the post office and only handle mail for routes that other far more efficient companies find unprofitable.
I think they should just deliver mail 2-3 days per week. That should cut their costs in half.
They should shut it down. The USPS should be a very small service that ONLY delivers 2-3 days a week to the remotest areas of the USA that other commercial delivery service don't cover. That way, it will cost taxpayers a billion dollars a year, and it will expect to be operated at a loss.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-austra...SKCN1B51KB

Quote:Drones equipped with a shark detection system powered by artificial intelligence will start patrolling some Australian beaches from next month in a bid to improve safety.

The battery-powered drones will provide a live-video feed to a drone operator who then uses the shark-spotting software to identify sharks in real time and with more accuracy than the human eye.

Studies have shown that people have a 20-30 percent accuracy rate when interpreting data from aerial images to detect shark activity. Detection software can boost that rate to 90 percent, said Dr Nabin Sharma, a research associate at the University of Technology Sydney’s School of Software.
Cool