• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Vive Pro
Hawaii is amazing. Just don't get stuck in Honolulu like I will be. It's way too commercial. Once you get to the North Shore, East Side, or even the West Side, it becomes an incredible adventure. And Kauai and the Big Island are unbelievable - you can see why Jurassic Park series was filmed on Kauai. And the Volcano National Park is like visiting another planet.

And it looks like I may be arriving about the same time Hurricane Hector arrives - it could hit Hawaii if the Jet Stream moves North as it is expected (twice). At the very least, the waves will be huge on the South Shore and I won't be even able to swim there .. well, maybe with the children at Waikiki's famous Wall where it is somewhat protected from huge South Swells.
https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/new...tor-hawaii

Help
Oh man I'm sorry to hear that. It looks like it's tracking south so hopefully it will miss.

I read yesterday that conditions are currently unfavorable for hurricane formation in the Atlantic, which was a big relief for me.
(08-02-2018, 02:30 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Oh man I'm sorry to hear that.  It looks like it's tracking south so hopefully it will miss.

I read yesterday that conditions are currently unfavorable for hurricane formation in the Atlantic, which was a big relief for me.
It would be unusual for a hurricane to hit Hawaii in August before the water gets really warm in late September. But something about me being a magnet for hurricanes .... I arrived the last time in Hawaii ('92) just before Inkiki. And it was a most unpleasant experience during; although I got some of the best waves of my life both the day before *and* the day after the hurricane hit - East Side Makapuu was 'all time' huge like mini-Waimea Bay waves, and the day after Pipeline was epic and completely uncrowded.

Crazy_pilot
The Vive Pro is an impressive bit of hardware. However, it is more complex than the Rift and I don't like the setup as well. I also HATE the adapters that use so many electrical plugs and they are way too large and don't fit right next to each other. However, it only uses one USB port which is a nice plus. I could probably leave my Rift set up and the Vive without conflict - we'll see.

The HMD is heavier than the Rift but just as comfortable and my big glasses fit inside nicely. There is no comparison with the resolution - the Pro wins hands down over the Rift - the screendoor effect is nearly gone - but I am disappointed the FoV isn't wider. What is really strange is that I can set the distance to my eyes from the lenses much closer and I can almost use the Pro without glasses!

I'll start playing games (besides the demos tomorrow). Unfortunately SteamVR Beta crashes my PC so I will probably opt out of the beta. I also probably have to repeat my setup and will re-orient the base stations. I have it set up for roomscale and I will may eventually change it to sitting only so I don't have to jump about. I don't really care for roomscale since I am mobility limited. Setting floor height is far more precise than with the Rift, but I don't think I have my tracking optimized for the Pro.

I doubt that I would spend as much as Vive wants for the Pro. I think it is for Prosumer use right now (for gamers with plenty of money to burn), and would be much more attractive with a smaller premium over the regular Vive. For commercial use, it is a lot better than the Rift (although the Vive wands still suck compared with the Rift controllers and it is going to take me a long time to get used to them).

I am ready to write my introduction. Expect it before I leave for Hawaii.
Cool. Sounds good. Good luck.