• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Vive Pro
I am back to VR and I am installing the Vive Pro now.  It's more complex than installing the Rift, but its Base stations are a heck of a lot more capable than the Rift's (even) 3 sensors and it is clearly designed for roomscale.

The base stations have to be set up high, and I am very lucky to be able to temporarily mount them - one on top of a crystal display cabinet and the other on the opposite wall on the vertical blinds rail using clamps (instead of mounting them with screws into the wall).

I'll have it set up tomorrow.  This is going to be interesting.

I am unsure if I should write an intro with the unboxing as Part 1 or just to make it longer with the installation.  I am thinking that each part should be short an sweet instead of one huge long tutorial.

I can't wait to play in VR with the Pro
Gamer4

I will update this as I go. It is BTR related and I think it deserves its own thread.  Please offer suggestions .. I am out of my comfort zone reviewing this HW.
Help
IMO just keep on doing what you're doing. Your Rift articles have been fantastic. Comparing the performance between the Rift and the Vive Pro is the key thing. There is a resolution difference. Also, please compare the lens quality between the two, and also the comfort (and the ability to wear glasses). Also please tell us which one is heavier and which one lets more light in.

Good luck! I'm sure it will turn out great!
(08-01-2018, 03:16 PM)SickBeast Wrote: IMO just keep on doing what you're doing.  Your Rift articles have been fantastic.  Comparing the performance between the Rift and the Vive Pro is the key thing.  There is a resolution difference.  Also, please compare the lens quality between the two, and also the comfort (and the ability to wear glasses).  Also please tell us which one is heavier and which one lets more light in.

Good luck!  I'm sure it will turn out great!

I didn't see this post until just now. I am basically getting ready for Hawaii .. I will have it set up by tonight and will give you some feedback. The Pro requires a LOT more thought to set up and the base stations need to be mounted, not just placed like the Rift's sensors.

They are quite different from each other. 2 base stations of the Vive track better than 3 sensors used by the Rift for roomscale.
Cool. It sounds like the Rift is already great and the Vive Pro is even better. That seems to be the impression I’m getting anyhow.

Good luck with your trip! We are almost ready for our vacation here also. I got most of my ducks in a row today.
(08-02-2018, 12:48 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Cool.  It sounds like the Rift is already great and the Vive Pro is even better.  That seems to be the impression I’m getting anyhow.

Good luck with your trip!  We are almost ready for our vacation here also.  I got most of my ducks in a row today.

The issue for most consumers is that the Pro is *ridiculously* expensive. It is priced like the Titan V - prosumer devices

I am ready to go!
Dance3
(08-02-2018, 01:04 AM)apoppin Wrote:
(08-02-2018, 12:48 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Cool.  It sounds like the Rift is already great and the Vive Pro is even better.  That seems to be the impression I’m getting anyhow.

Good luck with your trip!  We are almost ready for our vacation here also.  I got most of my ducks in a row today.

The issue for most consumers is that the Pro is *ridiculously* expensive.  It is priced like the Titan V - prosumer devices

I am ready to go!
Dance3

That's great. I just have to pack tomorrow. Everything else is ready.

There was some great news here for travel today. A new discount airline, Swoop, will soon be flying to Florida and other places for dirt cheap. It looks like I might be flying south a lot more often in the future. I will probably use them when I go on my cruise with my wife over the winter. We are going to the Bahamas.
(08-02-2018, 01:22 AM)SickBeast Wrote: That's great.  I just have to pack tomorrow.  Everything else is ready.

There was some great news here for travel today.  A new discount airline, Swoop, will soon be flying to Florida and other places for dirt cheap.  It looks like I might be flying south a lot more often in the future.  I will probably use them when I go on my cruise with my wife over the winter.  We are going to the Bahamas.

Sounds good .. but why the tropics in the Summer? Frankly, I would rather go to Europe than to Hawaii in August. I am going from a very hot place to a very warm place. Iceland sounds good to me about now.

Good3

I misread your post - Bahamas in the WINTER sounds wonderful!!
(08-02-2018, 01:51 AM)apoppin Wrote:
(08-02-2018, 01:22 AM)SickBeast Wrote: That's great.  I just have to pack tomorrow.  Everything else is ready.

There was some great news here for travel today.  A new discount airline, Swoop, will soon be flying to Florida and other places for dirt cheap.  It looks like I might be flying south a lot more often in the future.  I will probably use them when I go on my cruise with my wife over the winter.  We are going to the Bahamas.

Sounds good .. but why the tropics in the Summer.  Frankly, I would rather go to Europe than to Hawaii in August.  I am going from a very hot place to a very warm place.  Iceland sounds good to me about now.

Good3
Well, because of my work I am forced to travel during the summer. If I go during Christmas or the spring break, I pay through the nose for travel so we usually never go. With the cruise we can do it because it's "free" and we will only have to pay for the flights. I don't think the kids will go.

As for this Florida trip, it just kind of came up. I got a crazy promotion through Hilton hotels which included the "free" cruise. We have to listen to a time share sales pitch while we are there.

That being said, I like it to be *hot* when we go to the beach, and we will be at the beach a lot on this trip. Two nights at Clearwater beach and two nights at Cocoa beach. It should be fun. We are going to roast at Disney though. Thankfully we are only there for one day. I'm not sure what else we will do while we're in Orlando.

Let me tell you though, it's *beautiful* where I live in the summer, and even nicer up north where I go camping. I just hope it isn't completely destroyed by fire. We are going there in a month but it looks questionable. Very sad. I don't like the way it was started, either. It was completely preventable and should never have happened. Similar to the fire near where you live.
(08-02-2018, 01:57 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Well, because of my work I am forced to travel during the summer.  If I go during Christmas or the spring break, I pay through the nose for travel so we usually never go.  With the cruise we can do it because it's "free" and we will only have to pay for the flights.  I don't think the kids will go.

As for this Florida trip, it just kind of came up.  I got a crazy promotion through Hilton hotels which included the "free" cruise.  We have to listen to a time share sales pitch while we are there.

That being said, I like it to be *hot* when we go to the beach, and we will be at the beach a lot on this trip.  Two nights at Clearwater beach and two nights at Cocoa beach.  It should be fun.  We are going to roast at Disney though.  Thankfully we are only there for one day.  I'm not sure what else we will do while we're in Orlando.

Let me tell you though, it's *beautiful* where I live in the summer, and even nicer up north where I go camping.  I just hope it isn't completely destroyed by fire.  We are going there in a month but it looks questionable.  Very sad.  I don't like the way it was started, either.  It was completely preventable and should never have happened.  Similar to the fire near where you live.

Canada would also be great to visit in the Summer. I was planning to go to SIGGRAPH in Vancouver, BC, but I will be in Hawaii.

I plan to spend a lot of time on the beach and swimming in the clean water around 80F - not too hot, and not cold.

I did good, however, I got an apartment secured for my vacation - right across the street from the Ala Moana shopping center and closer to the Beach Park than the Hilton - at about 1/4 the price. My friends remembered me and got me this sweet deal! I plan to surprise a few friends also that I didn't tell I am coming (from my radio days there).
Dance3
(08-02-2018, 02:01 AM)apoppin Wrote:
(08-02-2018, 01:57 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Well, because of my work I am forced to travel during the summer.  If I go during Christmas or the spring break, I pay through the nose for travel so we usually never go.  With the cruise we can do it because it's "free" and we will only have to pay for the flights.  I don't think the kids will go.

As for this Florida trip, it just kind of came up.  I got a crazy promotion through Hilton hotels which included the "free" cruise.  We have to listen to a time share sales pitch while we are there.

That being said, I like it to be *hot* when we go to the beach, and we will be at the beach a lot on this trip.  Two nights at Clearwater beach and two nights at Cocoa beach.  It should be fun.  We are going to roast at Disney though.  Thankfully we are only there for one day.  I'm not sure what else we will do while we're in Orlando.

Let me tell you though, it's *beautiful* where I live in the summer, and even nicer up north where I go camping.  I just hope it isn't completely destroyed by fire.  We are going there in a month but it looks questionable.  Very sad.  I don't like the way it was started, either.  It was completely preventable and should never have happened.  Similar to the fire near where you live.

Canada would also be great to visit in the Summer.  I was planning to go to SIGGRAPH in Vancouver, BC, but I will be in Hawaii.

I plan to spend a lot of time on the beach and swimming in the clean water around 80F - not too hot, and not cold.  

I did good, however, I got an apartment secured for my vacation - right across the street from the Ala Moana shopping center and closer to the Beach Park than the Hilton - at about 1/4 the price.  My friends remembered me!
Dance3

Yeah that's awesome.

My parents are thinking about spending some time in Hawaii this winter. Maybe a few months. It's definitely a place I would love to visit also. I've heard nothing but good things.