• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's happening at BTR *14*
You like magic.

I mainly use magic through enchantments. Give me a nice big warhammer or broadsword. Bonus points if its enchanted! :D
(05-02-2018, 03:45 AM)gstanford Wrote: You like magic.

I mainly use magic through enchantments. Give me a nice big warhammer or broadsword. Bonus points if its enchanted! :D

Yep. Although in Skyrim, my strategy was to carry a sword in one hand and cast spells - restoration or destruction - with the other; and I wore heavy armor also.

Magic was what I choose to level up mostly. It worked really well - and it looked awesome in VR. I rarely bothered with potions or enchantments and I didn't bother much with any crafting at all.

You just have to be there to see the magic in VR happening all around you ...
:D
filehosting.org errored out also after spending most of the day uploading. It is really shitting me off. These service are laughably fucking ridiculous! Must be staffed by insane chimpanzees!

I recompressed the folder in 700 mb chunks and I'll upload them to google drive. We'll see how we go.
(05-01-2018, 03:56 PM)apoppin Wrote: We have a new ad campaign coming up today that runs a couple of weeks .. and I cannot I believe that I turned down sponsored content which pays almost as much as hosting the banners

Nope. No ad campaign. Evidently the campaign requires also posting the sponsored content.

I said no to a very substantial amount of money. I just won't do it. Right now, it seems to me that the integrity of every tech site and every tech reviewer/journalist is being questioned, and I just won't go along with the easy money crowd.

There are consequences and it will mean buying less hardware for review ... but c'est la vie ... I have never done this for money anyway. I have a fixed retirement income, this is still my hobby first, but the reality is that I cannot afford to just keep on spending money on BTR. I guess the only solution is that we will just have to keep working to make it more popular and to speed up that process.
Thinking
(05-02-2018, 08:01 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(05-01-2018, 03:56 PM)apoppin Wrote: We have a new ad campaign coming up today that runs a couple of weeks .. and I cannot I believe that I turned down sponsored content which pays almost as much as hosting the banners

Nope.  No ad campaign.  Evidently the campaign requires also posting the sponsored content.

I said no to a very substantial amount of money.  I just won't do it.  Right now, it seems to me that the integrity of every tech site and every tech reviewer/journalist is being questioned, and I just won't go along with the easy money crowd.

There are consequences and it will mean buying less hardware for review ... but c'est la vie ... I have never done this for money anyway.  I have a fixed retirement income, this is still my hobby first, but the reality is that I cannot afford to just keep on spending money on BTR.  I guess the only solution is that we will just have to keep working to make it more popular and to speed up that process.
Thinking
Man that's really too bad. Good for you for not doing it. Hopefully a proper ad campaign will come your way soon. In terms of how to grow the site, I really wish I had ideas for you. If I can think of anything I will let you know. It seems quite challenging to make it big in the hardware review world.
(05-02-2018, 08:17 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Man that's really too bad.  Good for you for not doing it.  Hopefully a proper ad campaign will come your way soon.  In terms of how to grow the site, I really wish I had ideas for you.  If I can think of anything I will let you know.  It seems quite challenging to make it big in the hardware review world.

It's life. These are my own personal principles that I live by. I understand that sponsored content may be tolerated and is generally accepted, but not by me.

I really think that ad companies should look carefully at current reviews that BTR publishes that are popular, and try to match up a current vendor campaign. For example, that Team Group SSD article proved to be really popular, and it would have made sense for Team Group to buy banner space once they saw it was popular - readers would have clicked on the banners and probably made purchases based on the review. But I don't think ad agencies are (1) that creative, (2) nor are campaigns very flexible (and AI could really help by matching current reviews with current campaigns; to me, the entire advertising industry is outdated and their practices don't really make any sense, and worse, they are missing out on opportunities to deliver customized campaigns that are highly targeted at buyers without being intrusive).
Thinking

My solution for BTR has always been long term, but now it has to be hurried up. I have enough money budgeted for 1 more round of Intel (or AMD) platforms - after 8700K; and also for 1 more top AMD video card; and maybe Rift II or a 2nd card. If Nvidia continues to see fit to send me their hardware for review, BTR should make it OK without ANY ad campaigns for 2-3 more years. By then, the library should be massive - double what it is now, and our traffic will be up 50% just because of the added content.

But by then, I think VR will be a larger niche and BTR will be one of the few resources that actually test the performance of VR games on different PC hardware. And I will return to addressing BTR's core audience with graphics cards reviews when Nvidia releases GeForce Volta later on this year, so this current drop in traffic can accurately be seen as long-term strategy and planning.

It's called hope. And no matter what, I am having fun now. I may not even be here tomorrow. Who knows? Enjoy life! Why worry? Be happy! And for me that means being useful - so I will return to my kind of work benching 20 VR games. But I wanted to let you know what is happening at BTR
:nerd:
2-3 more years is a lot of time to continue building the site and building a core audience of readers that keep coming back. With Mario on board reviewing games now that should give the site a boost. Maybe this summer I could review a game or two also if I have the time. I'm sure gstanford would make an excellent game reviewer also. I wish you nothing but the best with the site. You are hard working and talented. I hope in 2-3 years you will secure a decent revenue stream from BTR that will keep things going long term. Thinking
(05-02-2018, 08:44 PM)SickBeast Wrote: 2-3 more years is a lot of time to continue building the site and building a core audience of readers that keep coming back.  With Mario on board reviewing games now that should give the site a boost.  Maybe this summer I could review a game or two also if I have the time.  I'm sure gstanford would make an excellent game reviewer also.  I wish you nothing but the best with the site.  You are hard working and talented.  I hope in 2-3 years you will secure a decent revenue stream from BTR that will keep things going long term.  Thinking

I never intended for BTR to make it "big" like I wanted with ABT - and we got pretty close until it fell apart. Even so, it took much quicker for BTR to find its original niche with an emphasis on graphics cards and driver performance reviews. And notice how much BTR has evolved into more varied hardware reviews, and now this foray into VR in an effort to attract an additional and somewhat related audience.

Additional reviewers would be great. Mario should be posting a game review or two soon. And as soon as I get this mega VR evaluation out of the way, I want to get back to AMD vs Nvidia by revisiting the Fury X vs the GTX 980 Ti
:devil:

Those reviews are always popular. And perhaps BTR can hold on to its integrity and maintain credibility in the traditional sense while other reviewers go for something newer and easier.
There are not a lot of you guys left. Anand sold out. Kyle is now an "AMD guy". Tom's Hardware is owned by the same media conglomerate that now owns AnandTech so who knows there. Some of the YouTubers seem ok. I like Elric. I also like Jayz2cents and a few others. But in terms of straight up quality video card reviews IMO you really stand alone at the top.
You are too kind. I'm an old journalist, tech is my hobby, and I love benching graphics and gaming-related. Thank-you.
Blush