• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's happening at BTR *11* .. & report issues here
Starting a new thread. I locked the old one but any discussion from there may be continued here.
https://www.babeltechreviews.com/communi...p?tid=1163

It's another beautiful day here. I didn't see a single celebration ... but I slept well and I am writing my 15-game VR evaluation now. I have it outlined but it's a lot of work creating the frametime charts and graphs ... I expect to post it sometime today as the first review of 2018.

Happy New Years! I am hoping for a very good 2018.
:clapping:

(and bring on Volta! ... and Oculus Rift II)
:nerd:
Happy new year to you too!

I don't think I have ever had such a quiet celebration. Everyone wound up in bed early here. I feel great today though, I had an amazing sleep.

Have fun wrapping things up.

And yes, 2018 is definitely going to have some super cool tech stuff happening. The LG G7 and Samsung Galaxy S9 phones should also be quite something. I expect them to have full body displays to compete with the iPhone X. There is also speculation that the iPhone 9 will have this type of technology also.

I'm looking forward to Volta but I'm more than happy with my current hardware.

If the Rift 2 lets me use it while wearing glasses I will buy one, so long as it's not too expensive. I'm sure it's going to be awesome. They will be improving upon an already great product. I wonder if Valve will release a Vive 2 also. We'll see.

Also let's not forget the Ryzen refresh. That could be a great thing for AMD. AMD will probably also release their mobile Ryzen lineup and also Ryzen CPUs with a built in GPU.
(01-01-2018, 04:22 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Happy new year to you too!

I don't think I have ever had such a quiet celebration.  Everyone wound up in bed early here.  I feel great today though, I had an amazing sleep.

Have fun wrapping things up.

And yes, 2018 is definitely going to have some super cool tech stuff happening.  The LG G7 and Samsung Galaxy S9 phones should also be quite something.  I expect them to have full body displays to compete with the iPhone X.  There is also speculation that the iPhone 9 will have this type of technology also.

I'm looking forward to Volta but I'm more than happy with my current hardware.

If the Rift 2 lets me use it while wearing glasses I will buy one, so long as it's not too expensive.  I'm sure it's going to be awesome.  They will be improving upon an already great product.  I wonder if Valve will release a Vive 2 also.  We'll see.

Also let's not forget the Ryzen refresh.  That could be a great thing for AMD.  AMD will probably also release their mobile Ryzen lineup and also Ryzen CPUs with a built in GPU.
Let's not forget Navi either ....

... oh wait
:wait:

And Nvidia has already spoiled Pascal for me with an unoptimized for gaming Titan V preview.

Angel
I'm not wasting any time or energy reading about Navi. We will be lucky if we see that GPU in 2019, let alone 2018. All we're going to hear is hype and nonsense before it comes out. I do hope for AMD's sake that Navi can at least compete with a GTX 1080 Ti. I can't see it coming close to Volta.

And yes, the Titan V gaming preview was interesting. We are a long ways off though. nVidia has their work cut out for them. It looks like it's a DX12 beast but DX11 games still require heavy optimization.
Seriously, Navi could be good architecture.  If Vega is transitional as I have always believed, then Navi is a further refinement heading toward multiple GPUs on the same 'Infinity Fabric'.  I believe that Nvidia has (at least) 3 teams concurrently working on successive architecture.  If one of them hits a dead end, there are alternatives.  And most importantly, one architecture is not necessarily dependent on the other's timeline.  Of course, Nvidia has their own top SuperComputer running simulations to make sure the architecture the teams are working on will fit the nodes that they are being developed for.  

Navi could show up this year and be a significant step up over Vega but it's unlikely; probably 2019.  It's pretty clear that AMD has a choice and they picked Ryzen to put their money and efforts into.  Vega is kinda like Bulldozer now - a placeholder for the next generation.  They will bring out a refinement of the Vega process this year, and they will either go for energy efficiency (hahahaha) or for more performance.
Angel

Nvidia is probably done completely with the successor to Pascal.  It's taped out, the design is finished, and they are working on drivers for it.  However, they are probably waiting for what they consider the right moment to make their launch stand out in contrast to AMD's Vega launch - they want fast GDDR5X/6 in good quantity, great yields, a big stockpile of cards, and mature drivers.  Nvidia wants marketshare and mindshare and I think the pricing will not be higher than Pascal - this is why it takes time for everything to come together - there is absolutely no competition above the midrange from AMD - Vega cannot be found at any reasonable price.

ALL DX11 games require heavy optimization by the driver teams which is why Nvidia's performance is generally higher than AMD's.  When the burden of performance shifts to the developer with DX12, then AMD catches up.
Thinking

The GeForce GPU that succeeds Pascal will be *tuned* for gaming - unlike the Titan V.  And I want one
:emo:

(01-01-2018, 04:39 PM)SickBeast Wrote: I'm not wasting any time or energy reading about Navi.  We will be lucky if we see that GPU in 2019, let alone 2018.  All we're going to hear is hype and nonsense before it comes out.  I do hope for AMD's sake that Navi can at least compete with a GTX 1080 Ti.  I can't see it coming close to Volta.

And yes, the Titan V gaming preview was interesting.  We are a long ways off though.  nVidia has their work cut out for them.  It looks like it's a DX12 beast but DX11 games still require heavy optimization.
Yes, that is a thorough and good analysis. If AMD gets lucky with their design it could turn out ok.

I don't think nVidia will wait much longer to launch Volta. Probably in the spring. The rumors said summer but I think that's too late. We have already been waiting two years as you said.

We'll see. 2018 is shaping up to be one of the more interesting years for technology in recent memory.
(01-01-2018, 06:03 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Yes, that is a thorough and good analysis.  If AMD gets lucky with their design it could turn out ok.

I don't think nVidia will wait much longer to launch Volta.  Probably in the spring.  The rumors said summer but I think that's too late.  We have already been waiting two years as you said.

We'll see.  2018 is shaping up to be one of the more interesting years for technology in recent memory.

Well, we can call it my first prediction for 2018. It'll be easy to find
Blush

I think we will hear more about the new GeForce in the Spring also. Maybe at the GTC - of course, I want to go *anyway* - I still have a real interest in deep learning, AI, autonomous vehicles, and VR/AR.

However, I would guess (predict) that since this is major new GeForce architecture and product launch that Nvidia will have a major press invite and event (like with Pascal, Maxwell, Kepler, Fermi ...) at a venue and with timing of their own choosing. They don't want the launch to be overshadowed by anything else. I am just hoping it is in California (or Hawaii ... heck, Canada would be nice. Doesn't AMD have an office in Toronto?)
Thinking
AMD has a main office in Markham which is just north of Toronto.

We'll see where nVidia launches Volta. Angel
(01-01-2018, 06:44 PM)SickBeast Wrote: AMD has a main office in Markham which is just north of Toronto.

We'll see where nVidia launches Volta.  Angel

I am just going by where Nvidia launched Pascal - Austin, Texas - where AMD also has their HQ
Thinking

http://www.nvidia.com/object/contact-information.html

NORTH AMERICA REGIONAL OFFICES
Canada
NVIDIA Development, Inc.
431 King Street West
Suite 600
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5V1K4

As long as they pick Late Spring ... I am OK with renewing my passport. Of course, my first choice would be Palm Springs. My VERY first choice would be to get invited ... anywhere
:D
Well, there are a lot of AMD fans here in Canada. Actually AMD still employs a lot of Canadians here even though they have moved most of their operations to California. I know a lot of AMD fans base their loyalty on that fact.

It would be cool to see nVidia unveil Volta here in Canada. I just don't think they will do it. We'll find out soon enough.