• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Mini-contest .. and Prey is your reward if ...
(11-16-2017, 03:29 PM)gstanford Wrote: I had no idea they had a problem with your SLI review.  I don't know why they would unless they don't want the media talking about SLI at all any more.
They are not happy with the state of mGPU. Although my review pointed out that Nvidia had really made significant progress over the last 9 months, the tone of the review is not upbeat and it only recommends GTX 1070 Ti SLI in an possible upgrade scenario (but does recommend a single GTX 1070 Ti or GTX 1080 Ti instead).

I think they will like my next one better. I'll compare Vega CF with GTX 1070 Ti SKI using 50 games

Angel

And I am quite sure I can recommend GTX 1080 Ti SLI .. for the enthusiast with multi-displays or 4K ultra or for 5K. I'd like to do a follow up there also with 50 games. Here's how I look at it, these kinds of mGPU reviews bring a lot of traffic and credibility to BTR which is pretty surprising considering that there are so few mGPU users. If we didn't post these reviews, our traffic would be lower and we would be less attractive to companies sending us hardware ... at least that's how I look at it.
Thinking
(11-16-2017, 03:50 PM)gstanford Wrote: Sounds like they are getting defensive over a situation they put themselves in.

It was their decision to de-emphasize SLI, It was their decision to withhold SLI from GTX1060.  If SLI is suffering they can try blaming themselves for that, not others and certainly not reviewers!

They are only blaming the state of PC gaming and the fact that it is much harder for devs to implement mGPU with the current game engines. They do not blame the reviewers and they did not blame me. But they aren't enthusiastic about the decline in the support for mGPU.

I agree with with not implementing GTX 1060 SLI. Frankly, I think only the GTX 1070 Ti and above only really give a decent experience with one card if SLI doesn't scale.
Thinking
(11-17-2017, 01:18 AM)gstanford Wrote: I'm going to disagree with you on GTX1060, sorry.  The lower-end cards usually give you the best bang for your SLI buck.  Witness the GTX460 for example.  That's why nvidia doesn't enable SLI for them, because people would have gone and purchased SLI GTX1060 systems and rightfully ignored the horribly castrated and overpriced GTX1070.

There was no 4K when the GTX 460 SLI was popular and generally games scaled well with SLI - back then .. and GTX 1060 SLI would not be a great buy for when one card fails even at 1920x1080. Not to mention, it's hard to recommend GTX 1070 Ti SLI over a single GTX 1080 Ti. SLI just doesn't scale with new games like it used to and there isn't a good experience with midrange cards IMO
Thinking
The contest is closed. Thank-you for your guesses. We have a winner.

It will be obvious in a couple of hours and I'll officially make the announcement after I finish my evaluation.

I only got a couple of hours sleep (over 2 days) so I am hurrying to try and finish. At least the main chart is done with 20 games
- and Win 10 is stable on a solid Z370 platform at 4.6GHz and it will also manage 4.9GHz. The new EVGA case is coming today and it's the perfect case to show off the new video card.
Sounds good. I'm sorry you were not able to get more sleep. That sounds like a tough grind.
(11-17-2017, 12:54 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Sounds good.  I'm sorry you were not able to get more sleep.  That sounds like a tough grind.

It looks like Gstanford won
http://www.babeltechreviews.com/the-gtx-...nchmarked/

Although the exact model was not specified (i.e. "Jedi Order"), I got a SW TITAN Xp
Ugh he took one guess and he beat me. I don't think he was even trying. Congrats gstanford!
(11-17-2017, 02:24 PM)gstanford Wrote: I won?  Cool.  Cool  So nvidia didn't send you to the dark side then?  Can't have been too upset with your SLI review!   :P
Evidently not. Or else they want me to just focus on single cards with this latest acquisition

(actually, Elric is trying to get a Red card - I'd love to showcase Titan Xp SLI)
:D

Quote:Ugh he took one guess and he beat me. I don't think he was even trying. Congrats gstanford!
I started to laugh and almost fell out of my chair when I read his answer. I didn't really think I was going to get one at all . . .
Blush
(11-17-2017, 02:49 PM)gstanford Wrote: I would do it regardless of what nvidia thinks.  Unless they threaten no more cards or something.  Perfect opportunity to test your scaling theories in the real world.
You are describing AMD PR. Nvidia is not like that at all. They may not like something that is honestly posted, but they accept it - and if at all possible, they *change* and improve their products.

Do you remember when BFG10K posted his review of Fermi and showed it was slower in DX9 games in a lot of games? Well, clearly Nvidia PR didn't "like" that he disproved their claim of the "fastest card in the world" - but they actually CHANGED their ad campaign to the "fastest DX11 card in the world"

I respect this company - this is the way they operate - ethically. AMD's reaction is always to challenge and then cut off a reviewer that *dares* to criticize *anything* they do. Their PR are stale, and it sucks worse and worse since the HD 5000 series, and they keep on making the same mistakes with their reference designs - over and over - they never learn. Their partners have had to fix their designs for years.

Thinking
(11-17-2017, 03:49 PM)gstanford Wrote: Well, I didn't think nvidia actually would do something like that to be honest, just didn't want you or ToT getting in hot water with them or lessening your chances of being sent cards like this in future.

Actually, ToT didn't get a SW card even though Elric is a fan. I am just hoping that Nvidia will also send him one. I really think they will ultimately like my Vega CF vs Pascal SLI evaluation coming up - it will be the culmination of all of my mGPU testing at BTR over the past 3 years. And I'll also focus on micro stutter for the games that support frametime reporting. The last time I looked at CF, it was pretty sad and it will be interesting to see if it is improved months after Vega's release.

I just finished the article typo hunt .. and I am going to look at Elric's video for the first time. Then I think I'll take a late morning nap before returning to benching the FTW MB.
- I really feel overtired and I don't want to get sick.
:worried: