• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's happening at BTR *10* .. & report issues here
Well, here are the 3TB HDDs that I want; they are $65 each instead of $79 at Newegg
https://www.amazon.com/HGST-Deskstar-3-5...GPE/ref=sr
I don't see any difference
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a...5AD2AE0872&ignorebbr=1

Actually, I do see a difference ... the Amazon customers are complaining the warranty is only 1 year; and Newegg says 5 years in the description but 3 years under the warranty sub section
Huh

This is the MB I have settled on
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a...6813157790&ignorebbr=1

And updating Uplay and Origin don't require me to re-download; just have the games reinstalled ... and there is a "moving tool" for Oculus also.
Cool

(10-23-2017, 02:59 AM)SickBeast Wrote:
(10-23-2017, 02:51 AM)apoppin Wrote: Eventually, it will be Optane + HDD.  But Optane is going to be released with 128MB of cache soon.  And I think Optane also works with SSDs.

For tomorrow, I think I will just get a MB and 2 x 3TB HDDs for now.  EVGA could even be later than 2 weeks.  
Thinking

Interesting ... After copying my Steam folder over, I can launch the games immediately without installing them as usual.  They do show "first time setup", but it takes seconds instead of minutes and no D/L'ing again.  Not bad!
Yeah I just noticed the same thing, it's wonderful.  Valve must have fixed it in the latest update.  I still have to do Origin, Uplay, Blizzard, and GOG.  It's a pain.
Nice find. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of Coffee Lake.

Anyhow, I'm off to bed here. Goodnight!
(10-23-2017, 03:11 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Nice find.  I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of Coffee Lake.

Anyhow, I'm off to bed here.  Goodnight!

Good night.  I'll be up late ... and up early.  But at least I don't have to worry about doing everything during my free D/L zone.

Actually, now that I think about it, I am just going to get the MB.  I can always upgrade the HDD capacity with a disk clone - or even get a 4TB drive once I get a feel for the way my new setup runs.  I am not going to do any VR benching right away and there will probably be room for 30 games + 10 VR games on a totally clean 2 TB drive with no OS installed.

And you'll hear all about Coffee Lake soon enough.
:nerd:

After lots of complaints, of course
:D

Uplay is doing great also.  As I am copying over the Ubisoft folder, I am "discovering files" and installing games right as they become available.  It's a good way to do it to install the OS on the SSD and the rest on a HDD or SSHD.  

Origin is easy also.  The only ones I may have to D/L over again are the Witcher 3 and Gears of War 3.  There goes 200GB - I'll find out how prioritized I am in one or two days
Cry

Even Galaxy is cooperating. I was able to install TW3 with a C&P - but I installed the Galaxy client on E along with the games and a shortcut to the C desktop to launch it. . . It looked more complex trying to split up the installations - Steam/Origin/Uplay allow for it easily.

So that leaves GoW4. ... after the 121.2GB DL, I should have about 150GB left for Destiny 2 and a few VR games.
- I'll need a higher capacity HDD soon. ... and I will know tomorrow how Exede treats me after my 150GB of Priority data is gone.
:emo:

I should be done with Windows updates and apps and games by tomorrow. I'll clone my SSD and then install AMD drivers and Nvidia drivers to their respective drives, and I'll be able to compare 20 games with GTX 1070 before and after the Fall Creators Update.

By then the 300 series MB should arrive .. and I'll start all over.
:nerd:
I'm just keeping track of where I am time-wise.
:time:

I have all of my apps and games and everything installed and updated (AFAIK) except for GoW4. I'm not getting the speeds I used to get previously. About 1/2-2/3rds of what I had before.
- if I am not throttled, I am guessing that I'll have it by noon tomorrow.
----I really need to track this.
Thinking

At any rate, when I'm done, I'll clone the SSD and get back to work benching. I am curious to see if a clean install of the Fall Creator's Update and Gaming Mode make for any performance differences.

Bedtime
Sleepy
Why use Galaxy?! I'd just download the files straight off of GOG. Then I burn to BluRay. The whole point of GOG is no DRM and no online idiocy.
(10-23-2017, 07:36 AM)gstanford Wrote: Why use Galaxy?! I'd just download the files straight off of GOG.  Then I burn to BluRay.  The whole point of GOG is no DRM and no online idiocy.
Why not?
:-/
Well, less pressure on your internet for starters which should be important for you on satellite. No relying or waiting on online services just to install and play something you own.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I don't like a world where games are made obsolete by servers shutting down or games being removed from market places or you getting banned/blocked from something you purchased and own. All these things have happened already and will become more and more commonplace, unfortunately.
(10-23-2017, 01:13 PM)gstanford Wrote: Well, less pressure on your internet for starters which should be important for you on satellite.  No relying or waiting on online services just to install and play something you own.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I don't like a world where games are made obsolete by servers shutting down or games being removed from market places or you getting banned/blocked from something you purchased and own.  All these things have happened already and will become more and more commonplace, unfortunately.

First of all, there was no pressure on my ISP because Galaxy installed in seconds, and it found the Witcher 3 folder (that it was unable to find months ago) and installed it in a couple of minutes. Secondly, I have "unlimited" bandwidth (albeit it's half as fast as before - so I am going to complain even about my Primary 150GB of data).

If Galaxy goes away, I will still be able to launch the Witcher 3 - I have the files. For now, Galaxy is a convenient place to keep the Galaxy game library
Thinking

There is nothing wrong with being "old fashioned" if it works well for you.
apoppin what are your before and after internet speeds? What was your previous cap? 60gb? Unlimited still sounds worth it even if it’s slower, for the convenience.
(10-23-2017, 10:18 PM)SickBeast Wrote: apoppin what are your before and after internet speeds? What was your previous cap? 60gb? Unlimited still sounds worth it even if it’s slower, for the convenience.

I am getting less than half the speeds that I am supposed to have. I put in a support ticket. I think they stuck me with a slower speed than I am paying for.

I still have 12GB to go on the GoW 4 DL. I have used all of my Priority data up already, but the slowdowns (further) are minor. I'm averaging probably 15mbps overall.

I am on hold until the D/L completes, then I'll make a clone of my SSD - then benchmark. My new MB arrives tomorrow.
Thinking

I also got a key for Destiny 2 from Nvidia even though I told them I won't have time to review it.
Cool

I am deep into the peak period where I am most likely to see reduced speeds ... and I am seeing 500kbps as an absolute minimum, but probably averaging around 1-2Mbps; and then it bounces up again to 6-8Mbps. Real slow. I want to see how long this peak period lasts and how quickly my speeds return to normal. But I won't put up with less than my old speed during off-peak hours for more money. Something is wrong.

Unfortunately, I can't do anything while this damn game d/ls. But I can adjust my own schedule to sleep early and get up around midnight and work through the day.
- I couldn't do this at a "normal" job.
:emo:

There is another thing ... there is a new Nvidia driver out ... I *need* to update. So it may skew my Creators Update comparison. But I don't have time to benchmark over and over and over. I need to move on as my new MB arrives tomorrow. I really don't think there will be any issues changing from a Z170 Intel MB to a 300 series Intel MB without doing another clean install. Since Win 7, MS has been getting better and better at keeping differing drivers from conflicts. If I was going from Intel to AMD, it might be questioned. Upgrading Intel MB drivers should not be an issue for Win 10.
Thinking