• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's happening at BTR *10* .. & report issues here
(10-22-2017, 10:03 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Yes but it sucks that you're having to burn through some of your "fast" 150gb unnecessarily.

Is there still a period of time when they would never throttle you, even if you go over the 150gb?

I'm really happy for you, that sounds like a very decent internet plan for you, finally.

Well, there are only 12 days to go in my period. But I *want* to completely burn through my data to see what happens.

According to what I quoted from Exede's web site, there is no need for a free download zone since I am NEVER supposed to be throttled unless the network is congested and priority data customers are put first. And when the peak traffic ends, then normal speeds are restored.

I was going to put a second dish on my roof but the CSRs convinced me that this plan was really "unlimited"
Well I'm guessing you will be downloading Destiny 2 this week, it comes out on Tuesday. A few more game downloads will put you over 150gb easily. It will be interesting to see how it goes. I hope you don't get throttled at all.
(10-22-2017, 10:45 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Well I'm guessing you will be downloading Destiny 2 this week, it comes out on Tuesday.  A few more game downloads will put you over 150gb easily.  It will be interesting to see how it goes.  I hope you don't get throttled at all.

If I do, I am going to ask Exede for my old plan back. The only reason that I upgraded and spent an extra $40 was for unlimited,

And I found what I was (stupidly) doing wrong. First of all, installing Win 10 from my original media only upgrades to Version 1703 - even the upgrade assistant shows no more updates.

So I used the new files available from MS and set up my Flash drive again. What I didn't realize is that when it automatically restarts, it start at the same place with a new installation available - I had to remove the flash drive before the setup started
Blush

OK ... done .. Version 1709 I am there! Now I can start customizing it and adding a storage HDD
:yes:

I just hope that I don't get any more new HW besides my MB and HDDs this week
:P
So I let my MB Driver DVD update the MB drivers and I accidentally allowed it to install RST. Not a particularly good idea, I guess.

I had to use Restore to get rid of the changes and now I have tons of updates to D/L again
/sigh

Dodgy
OK, I got my MB drivers installed on my SSD and I finally got my 2TB HDD assigned as Drive E:

Is there anything else I need to do before I copy over my 900GB Steam folder to the new drive? Just point the programs I install to E:, right? I know I have to install Steam on C drive but it has options to launch games from my HDD .. right?
Huh

Well, I am copying over my Steam complete folder to my HDD, E. And I created a link to Steam on C under Downloads>Steam Library Folders (manage content on multiple drives) where I linked to my new Steam folder. And I was able to launch 3DMark ... so it appears to be working OK.
Cool

I am thinking that I will only need ONE Storage Hard Disk drive - but TWO SSDs ... The SSDs each contain either Nvidia or AMD drivers. If this works, I have just simplified everything. But I'll still need a back up drive (the two SSDs will be redundant - and I have a third one also).
Thinking
Yup, I always had a feeling that was possible. I'll bet you could also set up a single Optane drive to cache that hard drive with all your games on it also. I'm not sure how much better Optane is compared to RST. Optane only uses a 32gb cache compared to 64gb if you use RST with a regular SSD. I would say that if you have an extra small SSD lying around, just use that instead of Optane for now.
(10-23-2017, 02:02 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Yup, I always had a feeling that was possible.  I'll bet you could also set up a single Optane drive to cache that hard drive with all your games on it also.  I'm not sure how much better Optane is compared to RST.  Optane only uses a 32gb cache compared to 64gb if you use RST with a regular SSD.  I would say that if you have an extra small SSD lying around, just use that instead of Optane for now.
RST crashed my OS. I can't use it with my MB until something gets updated for the Fall Creators Update. Eventually, I'll probably get Optane. If RST worked, I could dedicate 64GB of my current SSD to it; there is plenty of room for Win 10 OS and for the RST cache.

But I hope what I am doing works OK.

But it's SO temporary. On Tuesday, I start all over again with my new MB. THEN I start all over again with my EVGA MB

There is no quick way to do this AFAIK
Cry
(10-23-2017, 02:07 AM)apoppin Wrote:
(10-23-2017, 02:02 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Yup, I always had a feeling that was possible.  I'll bet you could also set up a single Optane drive to cache that hard drive with all your games on it also.  I'm not sure how much better Optane is compared to RST.  Optane only uses a 32gb cache compared to 64gb if you use RST with a regular SSD.  I would say that if you have an extra small SSD lying around, just use that instead of Optane for now.
RST crashed my OS.  I can't use it with my MB until something gets updated for the Fall Creators Update.  Eventually, I'll probably get Optane.  If RST worked, I could dedicate 64GB of my current SSD to it; there is plenty of room for Win 10 OS and for the RST cache.

But I hope what I am doing works OK.  

But it's SO temporary.  On Tuesday, I start all over again with my new MB.  THEN I start all over again with my EVGA MB

There is no quick way to do this AFAIK
Cry
Yeah I always had a bit of a love/hate relationship with Intel RST. I loved how fast it loaded my games. But I hated how unstable and finicky it was. I'm going to give PrimoCache another whirl, I will let you know how it goes.
Eventually, it will be Optane + HDD. But Optane is going to be released with 128MB of cache soon. And I think Optane also works with SSDs.

For tomorrow, I think I will just get a MB and 2 x 3TB HDDs for now. EVGA could even be later than 2 weeks.
Thinking

Interesting ... After copying my Steam folder over, I can launch the games immediately without installing them as usual. They do show "first time setup", but it takes seconds instead of minutes and no D/L'ing again. Not bad!
(10-23-2017, 02:51 AM)apoppin Wrote: Eventually, it will be Optane + HDD.  But Optane is going to be released with 128MB of cache soon.  And I think Optane also works with SSDs.

For tomorrow, I think I will just get a MB and 2 x 3TB HDDs for now.  EVGA could even be later than 2 weeks.  
Thinking

Interesting ... After copying my Steam folder over, I can launch the games immediately without installing them as usual.  They do show "first time setup", but it takes seconds instead of minutes and no D/L'ing again.  Not bad!
Yeah I just noticed the same thing, it's wonderful. Valve must have fixed it in the latest update. I still have to do Origin, Uplay, Blizzard, and GOG. It's a pain.