• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's happening at BTR *10* .. & report issues here
(10-22-2017, 01:07 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 04:35 AM)gstanford Wrote: HGST is the way to go imo.
Thank-you.

Now I have to do a little reading on Optane tech.  I think I will need two (one for each HDD) because of the caching involved; but perhaps one will do.
:s

I assume the cache gets stored like any other data on a drive so you ought to be able to ghost it and restore it like any other drive partition. That would let you use just one for a little extra effort.
(10-22-2017, 01:14 PM)gstanford Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 01:07 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 04:35 AM)gstanford Wrote: HGST is the way to go imo.
Thank-you.

Now I have to do a little reading on Optane tech.  I think I will need two (one for each HDD) because of the caching involved; but perhaps one will do.

I assume the cache gets stored like any other data on a drive so you ought to be able to ghost it and restore it like any other drive partition.  That would let you use just one for a little extra effort.

It's actually a lot of extra effort (picture doing it 100 times a year) and it's worth $80 to me to just transfer a Optane module together with a HDD. But I also understand the 64GB modules are coming shortly - so perhaps I should wait.
Thinking
Now I am not sure what to do.

Should I continue just benching without the Fall Creator's update?
:-/

Otherwise I have to do a clean install of Windows - twice - once now, and again on Tuesday when I get my motherboard.

. . . If I do it now, I will install my OS on a SSD and use my HDDs for storage.

. . . If I wait, it will be on Optane.
I'd wait and have everything use Optane personally, and maybe the Win 10 situation might settle down a little by then also.
(10-22-2017, 03:30 PM)gstanford Wrote: I'd wait and have everything use Optane personally, and maybe the Win 10 situation might settle down a little by then also.

Don't you think it would look best to get everything over with and start with the latest Windows 10?

If I am not mistaken, doesn't Optane also work with a setup with Win 10 installed on a SSD and with HDDs as storage?
Huh
Yes, I'd try and get the latest win 10 working if possible and I'd do testing for your old platform and your new on Optane also, not have one on Optane and one not.

My 2nd video uploaded btw and I updated the thread but its hard to tell because of the post merging the forum does.
(10-22-2017, 03:59 PM)gstanford Wrote: Yes, I'd try and get the latest win 10 working if possible and I'd do testing for your old platform and your new on Optane also, not have one on Optane and one not.

My 2nd video uploaded btw and I updated the thread but its hard to tell because of the post merging the forum does.

I am going to bite the bullet and upgrade Win 10 now.

Which means that I am upgrading my plan to "unlimited" data for $100 a month. I'll get slowed during peak hours (5 PM until 2 AM) but the rest of the time should get 25mbps D/Ls

Which ALSO means you'll get a short 22 game comparison of a GTX 1070 on Win 10 before and after the Creator's update

:yes:

But it's going to be a LOT of extra work for me

- and I'm loving the challenge
:nerd:
Sounds good. That's great that you have unlimited internet now.
(10-22-2017, 04:54 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Sounds good. That's great that you have unlimited internet now.
Here's the fine print.  I am going for it! $100 a month

https://www.exede.com/unlimited/

Quote:Is there a Free Zone?
No. There’s no need for a Free Zone with unlimited data plans. The Free Zone was created to give additional data to our customers on our older plans during the wee hours. With our new unlimited data plans, you don’t have to wait until 3 a.m. to download files.
How much data usage is included in my unlimited data plan?
On an unlimited data plan, there are no limits to how much data you can use during your monthly billing cycle. However, if you use more than 150 GB of data and the network is congested, ViaSat may prioritize your data behind other customers.
Will my internet service be slower after I’ve used 150 GB of data?
When the network is not busy, nothing will happen to your service speeds. When the network is busy, ViaSat may prioritize your data behind other customers, which will result in slower speeds. Web pages and videos may respond and load more slowly than during periods of non-congestion.
Is this the same as the Freedom plans offered previously?
No. If you used more than 150 GB of data on a Freedom plan, your speeds were slowed all day, every day until the end of your monthly billing period. On an unlimited data plan, your speeds remain normal after 150 GB of usage. Instead, when the network is busy, we may prioritize your unlimited plan data behind other customers after 150 GB of data usage, resulting in slower speeds.

Done

After spending an hour on the phone with Exede reps who gave conflicting reports, I found the definitive answer myself on the website. It's pretty clear that data is unlimited but will be slowed (like every other ISP) during heavy hours. But there is 150GB of data that every customer on this plan gets that is not slowed during peak hours. There is no more "throttle" like with my last plan. And I should have at least ten hours a day of real free D/L speeds near what I get in 5 now. If not, Exede will have one pissed off customer
:emo:

So I am now setting up Win 10 with the Fall Creator's update on a clean install on my SSD. I'll use my SSHDs for my primary benching drives for PC games. So I'll run a performance comparison to see if the Game Mode made any difference.

When the new MB arrives, I'll do another clean install .. but I have to find out more about Optane and it it works with SSDs as well as with HDDs.
What a giant PitA just because Win 10 choked on the Fall Creator's update.

However, it will give me an opportunity to compare the performance of 22 games with the GTX 1070 before vs after.

I am installing Win 10 to a HyperX 256GB SSD and I'll clone it - one for AMD and one for Nvidia to my other identical 256GB HyperX SSD.
Then I'll install my PC games all over again to my HDDs and start benching when it's all done.

I'll order a MB and 2 x 3TB HDDs tomorrow. I am putting Optane tech on hold for now.

Thinking